PDA

View Full Version : Sore throats for toddlers

MissMuffett
02-03-2010, 09:11 AM
My 21 month old little girl has an awful cough. She will cough soo much she will puke. Her fever seems to b under control now. But this is going on day 5. We have a warm mist vaporizer, I have switched her food to easy to swollow like cheerios and apple sauce. I had some left over baby food not opened and tried some of that. I'm running out of options. I want to keep her hydrated, I don't think she's ready for milk products yet because she still has puked. I don't want it to curdle in her belly if her temp does go up. I have tried pedialite popsicles also. Any suggestion from moms or dads?

HDV
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Try some chicken noodle soup broth, or pedialite juice. Apple juice, ginger ale that is shaken up and flat is good too for them. I dont really know other then that. I have been so luck ( knock on wood) with my daughter. He is 20 months and has not been sick once n her life. But I know one day she will and it will be all bad.
Hopefully your baby will get better soon. 5 days is long so it should be over soon. I have heard though that they say every hour or so to get them to drink at least a oz and they will be ok. If your baby is still in diapers as long as the diapers are wet on a regular basis they are not dehydrated. Good luck to you guys :)

HDV
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Oh they have medicine for that age now for sore throats and coughs, have you tried that?

Tutones
02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh they have medicine for that age now for sore throats and coughs, have you tried that?

They have removed all cough and cold medicine for children under the age of 6 from the shelves. I went shopping for my 4 year old and even jack and jill has a caution now not to give to children under 6.

bluekrissyspikes
02-03-2010, 10:57 PM
lots to drink. keep on her to drink more. have you given her any vitamins? vitamins help, especially if you get the one with vitamin c in it. i know i am probably going to get ragged on but i still give my kids cough stuff at night only. i forget which one i had last time, but in the measurements by weight it still had an amount listed for their size so i gave them that much. it's not recommended because if you give it to them all the time it's counter productive because they can't clean out the germs. a lil at bedtime will not hurt, imo. if the cough does not lighten up she might need to get some anti-biotics or the doctor might want to give her some codeine syrop.

Peety
02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
lots to drink. keep on her to drink more. have you given her any vitamins? vitamins help, especially if you get the one with vitamin c in it. i know i am probably going to get ragged on but i still give my kids cough stuff at night only. i forget which one i had last time, but in the measurements by weight it still had an amount listed for their size so i gave them that much. it's not recommended because if you give it to them all the time it's counter productive because they can't clean out the germs. a lil at bedtime will not hurt, imo. if the cough does not lighten up she might need to get some anti-biotics or the doctor might want to give her some codeine syrop.

I was told that the cough medicine makes the kids hearts race.

Carolyn
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I would probably be taking her to the doctors after 5 days. There is nothing on the shelves anymore for children under 6. Pedialyte really worked for our kids. They have juice and freezies, freezies might help for a sore throat. Good luck I know how helpless you feel when your little one is sick.

bluekrissyspikes
02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
oh, that's not what the pharmacist told me. either way, the kids survived.

Peety
02-04-2010, 06:26 PM
oh, that's not what the pharmacist told me. either way, the kids survived.

It causes something after.

bluekrissyspikes
02-04-2010, 08:48 PM
i beleive you.. i just went by what the pharmacist told me, that it would be counter productive as they wouldn't be able to cough up the muccus and germs. this is the first i've heard about any kind of heart problems. i'm going to have to look into that more before i decide if i want to give it to them if they need it.

b&aMom
02-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Might want to ask a pharmacist about Musinex type meds for little ones. Just helps bust everything up so the cough is productive, but lots of fluids should do that too. Is she doing a lot better now?

HDV
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
In my previous comment i said Im lucky my daughter has never been sick, well 2 night and she started with the stuffy nose and cough, now she has a cold :( I was at the medicine shop yesterday on korah road and they have cough syrup (Vicks nigh time for kids) ages 2 and up. I asked the pharmacist there and he said most were removed but some were still safe. So if you have a kid under 6 and need cough and cold medicine they have it there for 7 bucks for ages 2 and up.Its in a blue box and its half a teaspoon for 2 yrs old, but they say to go by weight. I did not buy it then but im thinking I may go today and pick some up because we/she had a rough night last night with barely no sleep and she still is coughing and all snotty and stuffy. My poor baby :(
She does not seem to have a fever though. But my pharmacist told me that this vicks will help her cough and help her sleep and get rid of some of her congestion. He said it is safe or he would not have it in his pharmacy. Lots of them were taken off shelves but that one was allowed to stay.

MissMuffett
02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Both my kids were sick for a week. It was awful. I did find some cough and cold for kids 0-6 which was homeopathic. It did help both my kids with their cough. I gave my daughter less than they recommended due to her size. She's almost 2 and is no more than 20 pounds. But that is only because I'm a parnoid mommy. The pharmasist did recommend it also!! Good luck to all u moms with sick kids. Its a lot of work and restless nights