PDA

View Full Version : My New HTPC Build

Cruel_Intentions
02-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Hey all,

just purchased my components for a HTPC:

Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H mATX LGA775 G41 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI Video Sound GBLAN HDMI DVI Motherboard $67.99
Mediagate Windows 7 / Vista MCE Dual Channel IR Remote Control for Home Premium & Ultimate Black $39.99
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 2.6GHZ 2MB 800FSB 65W 45nm Retail Box $67.99
Diamond TV Wonder 650 Theater USB TV Tuner Card ATSC NTSC HDTV FM $49.99

This will be going in with 2gb of Corsair DDR2-800 ram and a 2.5" 120gb SATA HDD with availble 1.7TB network storage. The E5300 will be going in my main desktop and I'll be pulling out the E4300 to go into the HTPC. I'm thinking of running it underclocked with a Arctic Freezer 7 Pro sans fan to reduce noise, have to keep an eye on temps tho. Kind of hoping the E5300 will run in a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6, if not the E4300 will stay put where it is.

I'm probably just going to mount the bare motherboard with no case since it will be behind a wall/under a staircase with no other access, so it won't be disturbed and doesn't need to look pretty.

Let me know what you guys think, I tried to buy locally from one store, but they couldn't come close to matching the prices online and this was an extreme budget build (sub $250), so I had no other choice.

Upper Decker
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
You should be able to scrap the remote since tuners usually come with one, if yours doesnt i suggest finding a tuner that does. Temps shouldnt be an issue if you have good airflow, hell i would run that chip passively if its just a media center.

Its a shame that you cant get any modern hardware in this city at all, and if you do ask for it you get raped in the end.

Cruel_Intentions
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The reason why I went with the Mediagate remote is that it also comes with an IR blaster so the computer can control the satellite receiver directly. I do believe the tuner comes with one but it doesn't have the dual channel capabiliy. I was actually thinking I could use the mediagate upstairs where the computer/TV will be and use the other remote downstairs to also control the IR blaster and change channels on the sat receiver thats upstairs. I don't know tho, we'll see if it works.

Hans
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I use a WDTVLife for all my HTPC needs. No fans, no noise and about the size of a Shaw cable modem. Supports HDMI, supports playback of anything I throw at it. It was below 200$ delivered to my door, and since it has no moving components in it it should last me a very long time.