PDA

View Full Version : Cereal

IMHO
02-07-2010, 10:21 AM
There are so many cereals to choose from and they all emblazen the box with how good they are for you. In your experience, WHAT IS THE HEALTHIEST cereal to purchase?

Evil Monkey
02-07-2010, 10:22 AM
None they are all bad for you!

Peety
02-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Oatmeal is good for you.

02-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Wheatabix

Dragonfly
02-07-2010, 10:39 AM
The ones that taste like cardboard are the good ones lol

bluekrissyspikes
02-07-2010, 10:48 AM
one with whole grains and not much sugar/salt. look at the ingredients and nutritional values.

lynys
02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Cereal is actually really bad for you. All of them.

somethingunusual
02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Kashi Go Lean isn't bad. It's low in fat and sugar and high in fibre and protein. Actually, it is the highest protein content I've found in a dry cereal.

HDV
02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Vector maybe? Special K? Kashi is suppose to be good too. You have to look on the box and the nutrition percents. Something with no sugar, low fat and low carbs. Bt most cereal claims to be great for you but is not. Oatmeal Plain is good for you, its when you start to add all the sugar, but plain oatmeal with no sugar and fruit cut up is good and healthy.

theShadow
02-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Kashi Go Lean isn't bad. It's low in fat and sugar and high in fibre and protein. Actually, it is the highest protein content I've found in a dry cereal.

I would have to second this.

GRUMPY
02-07-2010, 02:05 PM
it is also pushed by doctors as being the best

yoda
02-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I just bought PC multi-grain O's with Inulin. It says that it has 7g of fibre per 1 cup serving, which I thought was fairly high. I haven't tried it yet, but I usually eat High Fibre with sliced almonds and sun flower seeds added

dancingqueen
02-07-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.pophangover.com/images/boobies-cereal.jpg

makes it's own milk???
there is something just plain wrong with that....

Evil Monkey
02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Cereal is processed food. Anything processed is not good for you.

Upper Decker
02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Cereal is a cruel facisimilie of what it used to be. We recently found some "limited" edition apple jacks on sale at zellers and I promptly bought 5 of them,(the kid in me will always come out when it comes to cereal). Next morning I happily begin to eat my breakfast when I realized something, my apple jacks tasted like a mix of cardboard with flax seed bread (the gritty consistancy) with a terrible tasting sweetner. In the end I discovered that every cereal brand out there was forced to change to a healthier diet. Sad sad day. Relevance to the subject? - none, I just thought I would spill my sob story somewhere so I can move on in life lmao.

PS - Im still really miffed that cereal sucks ass now.

Jackie B
02-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Reeses Pieces Puffs...LOL

But seriously...maybe Fibre One? Or straight up Bran cereal. At least there's a high fibre content.

Light_Keeper
02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
The best cerals are the old relyables:
Oatmeal, not the new flavoured ones
Red River Ceral,
Cream os Wheat
Corn Meal
and for cold cerals
corn flakes,
cheerieos
rice krispies

bluekrissyspikes
02-07-2010, 06:49 PM
all bran is good

Upper Decker
02-07-2010, 06:57 PM
all bran is good

Sure if you want to sit and read the entire bible in one sitting after your done lmao.

Giggle Squirt
02-07-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't care about nutritional value the all time best cereal is lucky charms!

Dragonfly
02-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Count Chocula is my all time favourite. If you dont read the label you wont feel guilty :)

bluekrissyspikes
02-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Sure if you want to sit and read the entire bible in one sitting after your done lmao.

it doesn't give me any problems like that.

Xzavia
02-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I thought I was doing good with my Special K, you know the crispy airy stuff with no sugarly coating what-so-ever!???

One morning Hubby was enjoying his sugar-coated Frosted Flakes, and me with me healthy-for-you Special K. While eating we started comparing the nutritional value of each....scary part is there wasn't much difference at all.

If you want healthy-fibre type cereal I'd think all-bran or bran flakes would be it. Calories don't have time to even think of taking up residence when you eat that cereal, in one end and out the other.

PrairieDog43
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Honey Almond Flax Flavour by Kashi... really good cereal, and good for you too. I eat it from the box as a snack. I don't really like cereal because I don't like milk.

My Sharona
02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
What about the new Diamond shaped Shreddies?? They are way better then the square ones!!

Seraph
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I buy plain oats. Just plain oats.

Make that up on the stove every morning and then stir in whatever healthy stuff your heart desires.

My 2 year old likes when I put a spoonful of peanut butter in his, while the girl is content with just sliced fruits or mixed berries.
Throw in raisins, cinnamon, milk, yoghurt, other grains, whatever. Make it your own.

Best way to get your grains in the morning, especially winter is oats.

And if you're looking for a healthy way to sweeten it up go for agave, which is like molasses and is safe for people with diabetes as well. Which is really cool because it's 100x sweeter than sugar and sooooo freaking good.
Honey and real maple syrup can do the trick too.

official soonet pu$$ycat
02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
The peanut butter thing.... sounds a bit gross. Tell him about the blueberries George .

Seraph
02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
The peanut butter thing.... sounds a bit gross. Tell him about the blueberries George .

I know it is pretty gross. But he's 2.

If he could live off peanut butter sandwiches and cookies he would.

Make the oats taste like peanut butter sandwiches and we're solid.

I've made all manner of feasts in the mornings in my kitchen. At this age he's refused anything other than the oats as I refuse to crack out pop tarts or lucky charms. That's what grandma's are for.

everywoman
02-08-2010, 12:58 AM
In talking with the registered dieticians at the Algoma Diabetes Education Centre, two highly recommended cereals they like are Bran Buds, and Kashi.

Peety
02-08-2010, 08:16 AM
I know it is pretty gross. But he's 2.

If he could live off peanut butter sandwiches and cookies he would.

Make the oats taste like peanut butter sandwiches and we're solid.

I've made all manner of feasts in the mornings in my kitchen. At this age he's refused anything other than the oats as I refuse to crack out pop tarts or lucky charms. That's what grandma's are for.

Hey quit picking on Lucky Charms.

HDV
02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
. We recently found some "limited" edition apple jacks on sale at zellers and I promptly bought 5 of them,(the kid in me will always come out when it comes to cereal). Next morning I happily begin to eat my breakfast when I realized something, my apple jacks tasted like a mix of cardboard with flax seed bread (the gritty consistancy) with a terrible tasting sweetner. In the end I discovered that every cereal brand out there was forced to change to a healthier diet. Sad sad day. Relevance to the subject? - none, I just thought I would spill my sob story somewhere so I can move on in life lmao.

PS - Im still really miffed that cereal sucks ass now.

I bought some at no frills and they are not the same as they use to be thats for sure. They were like cardboard and had a weird consistency to them. Glad im not the only one who noticed. Almost like sawdust. Grossed me out.

HDV
02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't care about nutritional value the all time best cereal is lucky charms!

For some reason i can not eat lucky charms. The marshmallows give me the chills. Something about they way they feel on my teeth when i chew them..

Giggle Squirt
02-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Also I buy all my "garbage" cereal across the river. They taste way different then they do over here. I actaullay have a box of apple jacks sitting in my cupboard right now and dam do they taste good. I got them on sale at glens for a buck a box! my kids love oatmeal. i buy the dehydrated strawberries at the bulk barn and dried kiwi slices and plop them in the oatmeal. they make a great snack on their own. Also my kids are huge fans of apple chips. I think I am going to start making them myself.

Scoff
02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
No cereal from "Post", "Kelloggs" or whatever should be considered "healthy".

You want healthy cereal you'll be spending $7-$8 for a tiny box. Forget the name but there are a couple, one begins with a "K" or something and they have "Flax & Hemp" cereal amongst others. I know Pino's has them and they are in a little spot on their own beside the other cereals.

I usually go with one "garbage" cereal and one "healthier" one.

No, Quaker Harvest Crunch and Mini-Wheats are not the same.

Crap is always cheaper seemingly, then everyone wonders why North Americans are frowned upon when it comes to eating habits. (USA in particular)

iluvchristian
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I used to love sleeping over at my friends house, she always had the best cereal. Like Rocky Road! Wow, I was on sugar overload!
Cream of Wheat was my all time favorite healthy cereal though. Plain, with a bit of brown sugar on top, Mmmmm!

Giggle Squirt
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
My all time favourite breakfast meal is grits. It is not sold over here and you can only get it in the states. My fathers friends are from N.C. and they introduced me to it when I was like 5. I would be happier then a pig in S#!t when I had it. And when we ran out I think I was so depressed that nothing was good enough. I have some in my cupboard right now. Omg you need to try it! Maybe I will host a grits tasting party!

Barry Morris
02-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Cereal is processed food. Anything processed is not good for you.

Go out to a fleld and eat it right off the stalk then. ALL food is processed somehow.

Barry Morris
02-08-2010, 11:54 AM
The best cerals are the old relyables:
Oatmeal, not the new flavoured ones
Red River Ceral,
Cream os Wheat
Corn Meal
and for cold cerals
corn flakes,
cheerieos
rice krispies

I'm in luck. As in all of the above!!!

Seraph
02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
As for getting healthy cereals, there is always the bulk barn they should have some awesome stuff there. Also you can go to a health food store that has bulk bins and scoop healthy stuff into your own mix.

It's so much fun when you have a few big containers of nuts and dried fruits etc, you just pour in your grains and cereals and throw whatever in it for breakfast. Best way to do it I think.

I'm not picking on Lucky Charms, that's what the kids do. They somehow secure secret spy ninja gear, throw a grappling hook over the cupboards and scale the walls to get to the hidden box of lucky charms in the highest place, locked under a steel safe security seal protected by hyper sensitive radar and invisible lasers ...and I find nothing but the cereal pieces scattered around my house in the morning. The charms are in the sugared up kids who are passed out unconscious under the table after bouncing off all the walls in their ninja ball black uniforms.

Lucky Charms are Evil.