PDA

View Full Version : Building a house

MissMuffett
02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
We plan on building in another year or so. Should we buy lighting and flooring, appliances, bathroom vanity and tubs, now if we see them on sale? Also if we want to put up a quoncept(sp?) Do we need a building permit? If I have a builder in mind do I have to get well and septic installed first and basement and foundation laid b4 they start? I know I should ask him first before stressing but I'm sure their has been @ least one person here with some experience on building a home.

Barry Morris
02-10-2010, 10:17 AM
It's quonset.

If you got a trailer for storage, no permits or anything required. Maybe buy a used trailer, and sell it when you're done. Probably get most or all of your money back.

NewCasa
02-10-2010, 10:22 AM
You can put the septic and well in anytime, but it's a good idea to have everything in place before the rough plumbing is done. Also, bear in mind that the permit process for a septic system might take a little time.

If you put a quonset in you'll need a permit. Anything that leaves a new footprint or changes the existing footprint of any buildings will need a permit in unorganized areas and pretty much anything you do will need one in townships or cities. SB has a great idea about the trailer.

If you've got a guy to build it, talk with him about pre-buying things. Never know - he might get you better deals. The other thing is, lots of times you'll find a 'deal' and it just won't work with what you're doing. The time to start buying lighting fixtures, for example, is after your lighting and electrical plans are done. Lots of people don't do lighting plans and just leave that up to the electrical contractor, but they're well worthwhile and fairly simple to do. Good lighting in a house can do some wonderful things.

As for the foundation, yeah - might be a good idea to have that in before the carpenters start framing the house ;)

bouffant
02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Don'cha just love it when someone disguises their bragging or gloating as a question that they mught already know the answer to? If you are building a home, why aren't you asking your contractor these questions?

Bill Nash
02-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Instead of a quonset, build a detached garage. You'll save money on your insurance, you'll need a permit anyways. You'll have toget a septic permit and get a driller to find you water. This can't be done until the spring when the ground thaws. The Algoma Health Unit will want you to dig a hole about 4 feet or so deep to show the soil stratification to allow them to determine the specifications of your septic field. You should do your foundation before your framing contractor starts.

Find yourself a good reliable contractor to guide you through this. I think I recommended Don Kennedy Construction before, but also give Dave Maki Construction a call. Both are in the phone book.

MissMuffett
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I wasn't bragging. Just had a question is all. No I didn't know this. My contractor is out of town. So I had questions and no answers. Thanx for the advice guys.

GRUMPY
02-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Don'cha just love it when someone disguises their bragging or gloating as a question that they mught already know the answer to? If you are building a home, why aren't you asking your contractor these questions?

you're just that she never asked you about mirrors.

Xzavia
02-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I know you can have the well done before you go ahead with anything else, as some properties are sold with the well already done. Ours was already done when we were given our property years ago, then we built our house here.

lk_wicked
02-10-2010, 09:51 PM
if you havent had the land tested for the well, then I wouldnt be spending any money, until the land is tested. There are a lot of hoops to go through to the the well and septic in first. If the testing fails, you won't be able to put a well on the land. I dont know the right terminology, but i think its called perked. My brotherinlaw had to have it done, before he built his home. Then there are a lot of rules by the city that require you to have so much frontage, and your septic, well and land area have quite specific rules as to how far from the road the house is, etc.... if there are no near neighbours, the cost of tying into the city for electricity varies. From your house to the street can be at your own expense. My advice would be to go to city hall, and find out what all the rules are for the area you are buying the property on. They will have all the information you need, regarding permits, and regulations, and they are great for advising or referring you to others. Your property, while you are in the process of building, requires building insurance, which is extremely high, compared to regular home insurance. The bank will only release money to you, in installments, based on how much work is done and inspections that have to be completed, before they release more funds to you. So contact, city hall, your bank, and someone to perk the land for water (well). Don't take the word of just one person, ask a variety of personnel, your questions, to make sure you understand the answers, and to make sure your contractor is well known and respected. You would be surprised at how good word of mouth is, even from employees in lumber stores. They won't necessarily tell you the bad on specific people, however you will find that the same names come up in most lumber stores for good contractors. We used Roger Theberge for our own addition on our house. I cannot remember if he is the same contractor my brotherinlaw used, but Roger is well known and respected. Incidently, our addition was a 500 square foot addition plus digging up a basement for under that addition, and tying it into the basement we already have. no complaints.

if you find this bit of info overwhelming, you need to be asking a whole lot more information because this is just the tip of the iceberg.

good luck hope it goes well for you.

verotik66
02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
the perk test is for you septic system, 1-10 test holes depending on which method you use, for power when i was checking in from the street to 150' in and the rest of the distance you pay, plus if you need extra poles put in.

lk_wicked
02-10-2010, 10:32 PM
the perk test is for you septic system, 1-10 test holes depending on which method you use, for power when i was checking in from the street to 150' in and the rest of the distance you pay, plus if you need extra poles put in.

thanks, i knew i muddled it somewhat lol

MissMuffett
02-10-2010, 11:05 PM
thanx guys. i appreicate the help.. !!

italiandomino
02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
My advice, wait till you build, your taste will change by then, and if you buy now, you will have stuff that you dont want anymore.

verotik66
02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I am with you on buying on sale, but watch out lol, i bought a lift of 2x6 and one of particle board for an addition on our house, which we scrapped and now building new, use in the new you say? lol building the new house walls with structural panels , so i built the kids a huge pirate ship playhouse, expensive-yes lol

MissMuffett
02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
we've had the same problem renovating our current house.. we bought things months ago and some things dont fit and we dont have the reciept to return.. i think we will just wait for purchasing things.. but i defiantely need to talk to the city about the lot and the well and septic..

verotik66
02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
yes that would be your first step, get your zoning, and any height restrictions etc, you will also have to have them approve the plans for your new garage and house, the plans now need to be stamped by an architect, you can't just draw your own anymore.

MissMuffett
02-11-2010, 10:22 PM
should i talk to the city b4 or after we have the plans done up??