PDA

View Full Version : computer freezing

tmill1988
02-10-2010, 08:01 PM
hello i had this problem about 5 months now, my computer freezes, cant do anything, the reset button on the computer does not even reset it i have to hold down the power button to hard shut it down

so far i replaced the

power supply
cpu and fan
video card

any suggestion would be great

system specs

AMD athlon x2 250 3.0ghz
4 gb corsair
geforce 9600 gso
800 watt kingwin 1 modular power supply
500gb sata hd
lg blu-ray drive
sony dvd-rw
MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum motherboard

Trollic
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
are you sure it is caused by hardware
try using a xp cd and do a repair at the c:\
select c:\
type in administrator password if none leave blank
type in c:\chkdsk /r
this will take awhile if that fails you have harddrive problems
time to backup your data

Hans
02-11-2010, 07:36 AM
This can almost be anything. Try removing, disconnecting anything you don't need and see if it happens again. I would also remove any memory sticks you don't need. If you have onboard video you should remove the vidcard.

NewCasa
02-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Also, before you do any of that check all your fans to make sure they're working. I had this happen to me a while ago. Just started happening all of a sudden. Fan on the video card was shot. Computer would start up ok but as soon as the card got too hot the computer would shut down, lucky for me! I replaced the fan and all was good. Might also check your temperatures. If it could happen on the video card I imagine it could happen anyplace in the computer.

Upper Decker
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Update your bios and manually set your voltage. also turn off cool and quiet. I learned a long time ago that the 750a chipset didnt play nice with 45nm tech or modern chips. I went through an xfx, asus, and gigabyte 750a chipset based board before I said screw it and jumped to an AMD chipset.Even the cheapie 780g is a much better suit to that chip vs the nvidia chipset.

Charity
02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Interesting! This has been happening to me too. Need to check some things out.