PDA

View Full Version : Olympic opening ceremonies

Huggy85
02-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't know if anyone else is watching the show, but it's been amazing so far!

Evil Monkey
02-12-2010, 10:49 PM
The fireworks on Soonet are pretty spectacular tonight too!

Giggle Squirt
02-12-2010, 11:12 PM
the whales were so cool. It is an extremely good show. "we say zed instead of zee"

Huggy85
02-12-2010, 11:24 PM
the whales were so cool. It is an extremely good show. "we say zed instead of zee"

Yeah, the whales were incredible

Giggle Squirt
02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I didn`t actually think that i would enjoy watching them but it has been an amazing show.

Giggle Squirt
02-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Ps, I just wanted to say I also loved the native dress and the dancing. It was so cool.

Craig Huckerby
02-12-2010, 11:36 PM
most amazing opening ceremonies I've ever seen

Macs II
02-12-2010, 11:41 PM
most boring opening ceremonies I have ever seen

Bluesky
02-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I've seen better, but for Canada, this is an amazing show. And our natives should be proud!
All that technology and they can't make the flags fly properly! someone aimed the fans wrong!

Macs II
02-12-2010, 11:55 PM
And our natives should be proud!

yeah ...I actually thought the native part was the best ..rest of it was just boring

Bluesky
02-13-2010, 12:01 AM
And now the raising of the cauldron failed! the commentator said the hydraulics failed.. 3 out of 4 parts are up.. yikes!

Giggle Squirt
02-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Oh well, it is still a pretty amazing show. No one is perfect.

Westender 3
02-13-2010, 12:24 AM
I don't know but to me that torch looks like a big canoeing doobie.Only in B.C..

Xzavia
02-13-2010, 12:25 AM
WoW!!!! That was one helluva show!!

http://www.arvino.in/images/FireworksAnimated.gif

Jack Butler
02-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Outstanding...hard not to be moved.
Had kind of a Cirque de Soleil feel, with all the cable work.
Like nothing ever seen for the Winter Olympics.
...proud to be Canadian.

Jack Butler
02-13-2010, 12:30 AM
i personally think olympics are waste of my tax paying money!

You should have said something before the whole thing started!

GRUMPY
02-13-2010, 12:33 AM
while the show itself was great the BS the commentators were dishing out was enough for me to hit the mute button, after this Canadians can't complain about US tv anymore.

Jack Butler
02-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Yes we can!

Jack Butler
02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
trust you me I did voice my concern.....i think its silly!

Great, that's great!

GRUMPY
02-13-2010, 12:45 AM
all I can say is that if the commentators were right and this is the biggest project that we've ever done as a country then we are a pretty sorry country. I guess I'll have to watch NBC as they aren't as anoying as the Canadian channel, hell its only a sporting event not going to Mars.

Strife
02-13-2010, 12:52 AM
all I can say is that if the commentators were right and this is the biggest project that we've ever done as a country then we are a pretty sorry country. I guess I'll have to watch NBC as they aren't as anoying as the Canadian channel, hell its only a sporting event not going to Mars.

Thank God it isnt like going to Mars. If a space mission went down like that, we wouldnt even pass through the ozone layer

Jack Butler
02-13-2010, 12:58 AM
What with you guys?
...like you two know the difference.
Whos bandwagon you jumping on this year G?

GRUMPY
02-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Thank God it isnt like going to Mars. If a space mission went down like that, we wouldnt even pass through the ozone layer

Actually I enjoyed the show and would have more if the announcers would have just taken a second or two to take a breath. Seems whenever there was a chance for a quiet moment they had to start with their mind numbing drivel.

HBomb
02-13-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't know if anybody knew or noticed but several of our local natives were part of the opening ceremonies. They were part of the First Nations of the East. Got a few good shots of them too on the tv. I thought that was pretty amazing.

Pleiades
02-13-2010, 02:30 AM
I don't know if anybody knew or noticed but several of our local natives were part of the opening ceremonies. They were part of the First Nations of the East. Got a few good shots of them too on the tv. I thought that was pretty amazing.
Yes, I've noticed. What a great job they did! I really enjoyed the opening ceremonies. It was much better than watching fake fireworks like the last summer olympics.

Bluesky
02-13-2010, 08:26 AM
I would have dearly preferred seeing Leonard Cohen doing his own song there instead of KD Lang's interpretation.

GRUMPY
02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
that is what I thought or have her do one of her songs but I guess he was unavailable

verotik66
02-13-2010, 10:30 AM

I wonder if they had to pay a toll to get in

verotik66
02-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I would have dearly preferred seeing Leonard Cohen doing his own song there instead of KD Lang's interpretation.

It was a celebration of gaydom

Bluesky
02-13-2010, 10:34 AM
It was a celebration of gaydom

That wasn't why I objected. I just hate that every singer has to give a song their own interpretation, when in reality, the song became famous for the original singer's interpretation. I love Cohen's melancholic style. And his deep gravelly voice, and slightly off pitch approach to his music.

Mimi
02-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I thought K. D. Lang was fantastic.
I was hoping Shania and Celene would have made an appearance.

MaO3
02-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I watched some but not all of the festivities. Does anyone know if they will be re-broadcast?

I know they did that at the last summer olympics, and I'd really like to see the whole thing.

lynys
02-13-2010, 10:47 AM
It is on right now on TSN. I am watching it.

MaO3
02-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks Lynys, I dont' have TSN ! booo

02-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Shaw has opening ceremonies and other CTV coverage of the olympics *FREE* on VOD.

Jack Butler
02-13-2010, 12:20 PM

Hmmm...I thought she was one of the highlights...that girl can saannng!
IMO, Cohen is like Dylan...great songs, when somebody else sings them!

Bluesky
02-13-2010, 12:42 PM
What'd you think of the Diva that sang the Olympic hymn? The one with the huge 'fro?
Powerful pipes, that's for sure..

Karen-Annie
02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
From Sootoday re: local partcipants:

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=44692

I thought what I got to see was amazing. I too loved kd lang's performance....Sarah McLachlan(sp) was none too shabby either. But, given how my Dad raised me, I especially loved the fiddling and stepdancing segment.

Jack Butler
02-13-2010, 01:32 PM
What'd you think of the Diva that sang the Olympic hymn? The one with the huge 'fro?
Powerful pipes, that's for sure..

Wicked pipes...all the vocalists, from the National Anthem to the Adams and Furtado..the French Guy!!!
It was all good...the way props and stages appeared and disappeared was unreal!
All the timing and calculation and practice to make the physical moments match the projections.
Definitely over the top!

riggs
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I've seen better, but for Canada, this is an amazing show. And our natives should be proud!
All that technology and they can't make the flags fly properly! someone aimed the fans wrong!

I noticed they had holes in the flag pole along side the flag.They obviously forced air through it, but you might think they would have run a few test on the system prior.

riggs
02-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I wonder if they had to pay a toll to get in

Thanks for the laugh..............

Jack Butler
02-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Friday's Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver was the most-watched television program in Canadian history, with an average of 13.3-million viewers watching every single minute of the 3.5 hour ceremony.

The previous record was the 10.3-million Canadians who watched the 2002 gold-medal hockey game between Canada and the United States.

The Opening Ceremony aired live on 11 television networks in 11 languages. When the Olympics were last in Canada, for the Calgary Games in 1988, 4.24-million Canadians watched on CTV and TVA.

More than two-third of all Canadians, 23-million, watched some part of Friday's ceremony.

"Canadian athletes will break records at these Games," said Ivan Fecan, President and Chief Executive Officer, CTVglobemedia and Chief Executive Officer, CTV Inc "This is the first record to be broken."

MaO3
02-13-2010, 08:13 PM
I just found out that my husbands neice was one of the native dancers during the Opening Ceremonies. Now I'm really pissed that I missed the whole thing. Please if anyone see's that its going to be re-run in full, please let me know...

Thanks

everywoman
02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I missed who was the final part of the lighting of the cauldron.....so who was it?

02-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Starting tomorrow, the opening ceremonies and other events will be on Shaw's VOD to be seen again :)

MaO3
02-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't have shaw T-Pot...
Will it be available online ya think?

Xzavia
02-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I missed who was the final part of the lighting of the cauldron.....so who was it?

The Great One...Wayne Gretzky.

Loved the people they picked for carrying the flag in...what an honour, as well as all the people who carried the torch into the arena right up until Gretzky took it.

lynys
02-13-2010, 10:34 PM
It kinda sucked that they had Gretzky driving in a truck to light the outer cauldron.

The inner cauldron was lit by Gretzky, Katrina Le May Doan, Steve Nash and someone else.

GRUMPY
02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
she was Terry Fox's Mom.

GRUMPY
02-13-2010, 10:49 PM
It kinda sucked that they had Gretzky driving in a truck to light the outer cauldron.

If there ever was a time for a terrorist with a gun that was it.

everywoman
02-13-2010, 10:59 PM
K- thanks!

GRUMPY
02-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I figured that there was a good chance it would be him but I was hoping that they would pull off a shocker where everyone would say "I never saw that coming." such as the Atlanta games where they had Ali do it.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 09:34 AM
I figured that there was a good chance it would be him but I was hoping that they would pull off a shocker where everyone would say "I never saw that coming." such as the Atlanta games where they had Ali do it.

Short of the holographic image of Terry Fox, who would it be?
Gretzky is our Ali!

02-14-2010, 09:39 AM
If Gretzky is our Ali, i'm ashamed. Ali has been through A LOT. To compare Gretzky's champagne wishes and caviar dreams to everything ALI has been through is ridiculous.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 09:55 AM
If Gretzky is our Ali, i'm ashamed. Ali has been through A LOT. To compare Gretzky's champagne wishes and caviar dreams to everything ALI has been through is ridiculous.

Good point!
The trials of a black athlete in the 50's and 60's in the USA is A LOT different, then a spoon feed white athlete from Canada.
At the time and maybe still, Ali was the most recognizable face in the world.
As a Canadian, IMO Gretzky would have that same place, just not to the same degree.
Alis domination in boxing...Gretzkys domination in hockey...
I didn't think it was that far off?

GRUMPY
02-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Gretzky has never had the weight of his government aimed at him for his political or religious beliefs. There is no way that the two compare one a black in the 60's and 70's fighting against the wrongs of the day compared to a white guy from the true north who only wronging was to get traded. The main point that I was trying to make was I was just wishing that they wouldn't go with the obvious person but would have chosen somebody that would have been just as good but would catch everyone off guard with.

verotik66
02-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I just found out that my husbands neice was one of the native dancers during the Opening Ceremonies. Now I'm really pissed that I missed the whole thing. Please if anyone see's that its going to be re-run in full, please let me know...

Thanks

you can watch it on ctv website

verotik66
02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
yeah, maybe they could have had someone who could run the distance? lol

like the 3 kids running beside the truck most of the way?

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 10:37 AM
That's more about the broadcast...I'm sure he could have run it.
Hay Grumpy...whos bandwagon you jumping on this year?
You anti Canadian comments and your dislike for this one particular athlete is well known, so...
You have become very transparent.
Who has a more popular, recognizable face, to the rest of the world?

GRUMPY
02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
please point out my anti-Canadian posts, please remember that just because a post does not agree with your limited view of Canada does not make it anti Canadian.Might you be referring to the thread in sports about who was the greatest hockey player in history and I felt that it was Bobby Orr while you thought it was Wayne? I guess to an immature mind you might see that as anti Wayne and not pro Orr as one can have other choices than yours. Have you ever noticed that when you get in these arguments that you end up the only one posting? Here is a clue seeing you don't have one it is not because you won its because people tire of dealing with others who have closed minds.

R W G R
02-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Just throw a couple anti-American posts out there every few days, Grump, and all will be forgiven.

It's like feeding raw meet to ravenous lions.

GRUMPY
02-14-2010, 11:05 AM
That would be too easy but thanks anyways.but there are some who get upset when you make an observation that they might not agree with. Such as if you ask a Canadian to describe a Canadian one of the first things you hear is "they are modest"; which makes me ask would a truly modest person say that they were modest. Now there are some out there with really closed tiny minds who would claim that this is anti-Canadian when all it is is an observation.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Look back at our conversations...that should be enough!
I light the flame and you throw water, maybe that's anti Jack!
Either way you are a poor example of a team player, so...
You failed to mention who has a more popular, recognizable face, to the rest of the world?
And, who bandwagon are you jumping on this year?
And who said Canadians aren't modest.
It hard to be humble when debating someone like you who doesn't recognize accomplishment, pure and simple.
I'm not going to sugar coat anything, honesty is a much better quality!

02-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Good point!
The trials of a black athlete in the 50's and 60's in the USA is A LOT different, then a spoon feed white athlete from Canada.
At the time and maybe still, Ali was the most recognizable face in the world.
As a Canadian, IMO Gretzky would have that same place, just not to the same degree.
Alis domination in boxing...Gretzkys domination in hockey...
I didn't think it was that far off?

Not that far off then if you compare the greatness :)

I just compare the validity of the greatness. I think Ali's greatness was achieved at a much better level compared to Gretzky. Gretzky had a skill, with that skill he dominated. Ali had a skill, but had to dominate his own demons, racism, army drafts, jail time and so on before he can prove his greatness.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Hard to argue that!
Both being gold medallist was also part of it.
And, of course their recognizability!
Using your requirements, few in the world would be worthy, so...
I think Gretzky was fitting!

02-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I think hockey greatness is measured by more than how many records one broke. If you look at great hockey players that happened to be defensemen, they would never reach scoring goals that Gretzky broke, but none the less deserve the great title. Like Ray Bourque. Or perhaps, even goalies.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 01:07 PM
There can be only one G.O.A.T!
It's Gretzkys hands down!

02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
If Gretzky were to start his career this year. Would he be just as successful? considering the "New NHL"?

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 01:09 PM
No athlete has dominated their sport like Gretz dominated hockey, ever!

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 01:10 PM
If Gretzky were to start his career this year. Would he be just as successful? considering the "New NHL"?

Yes.

02-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I was born in the wrong ERA. I remember Gretzky skidding downward on the Kings, then the blues.... then........ the rangers.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
With skill coming to the top these years in the new NHL, Gretzky would be unreal!
No one, I say on one, showed hockey fans more things, that they had never seen before!
The top 10 every week could be all Gretz!
......watching the 500....later!

R W G R
02-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Gretzky is terribly over-rated. He only knew offense. He couldn't check or play a defensive style if his life counted on it.

lynys
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Gretzky is terribly over-rated. He only knew offense. He couldn't check or play a defensive style if his life counted on it.

And his teeth were too white. They looked fake.

tired-n-cranky
02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Wow how easy it is to go on and on about a celebrity, just because you see the media side.

Have any of you actually met Wayne? I have. Several times. His parents house is around the corner from where I grew up.

I spent many volunteer hours on his chairty event for the CNIB.

He is a very nice guy, and IMO deserving of the fame and fortune he has. He has done a lot back for people.

GRUMPY
02-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Look back at our conversations...that should be enough!
I light the flame and you throw water, maybe that's anti Jack!
Either way you are a poor example of a team player, so...
You failed to mention who has a more popular, recognizable face, to the rest of the world?
And, who bandwagon are you jumping on this year?
And who said Canadians aren't modest.
It hard to be humble when debating someone like you who doesn't recognize accomplishment, pure and simple.
I'm not going to sugar coat anything, honesty is a much better quality!

Still waiting Jack you said I was anti-Canadian now is the time to prove it or to shove off. Proof Jack that is all I'm asking it should be easy for you to do.

As for who is right or wrong who was the best guess what Bozo there isn't a right nor a wrong because when somebody says they think that player A was the best that is their opinion and only a small minded person could take offense to somebody not having the same view as they do. Also by saying that A was better in no way takes from the contributions of the other player in history.

As I was saying before Jack, proof I want proof and none of your childish mind games either. Show the proof or bugger off.

GRUMPY
02-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow how easy it is to go on and on about a celebrity, just because you see the media side.

Have any of you actually met Wayne? I have. Several times. His parents house is around the corner from where I grew up.

He is a very nice guy, and IMO deserving of the fame and fortune he has. He has done a lot back for people.

I think that Wayne was one of the greater players of all time but it is totally impossible to say who was the greatest without them having played against one another while they were in their prime. Plus this still wouldn't prove anything as some would have played with power house teams while others spent their whole carrers with dogs. Not only that how do you compare a goalie with a forward with a defense man ?

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Still waiting Jack you said I was anti-Canadian now is the time to prove it or to shove off. Proof Jack that is all I'm asking it should be easy for you to do.

As for who is right or wrong who was the best guess what Bozo there isn't a right nor a wrong because when somebody says they think that player A was the best that is their opinion and only a small minded person could take offense to somebody not having the same view as they do. Also by saying that A was better in no way takes from the contributions of the other player in history.

As I was saying before Jack, proof I want proof and none of your childish mind games either. Show the proof or bugger off.

This post is all you should need...now that was easy!
How quick you forget....check the WJ thread from last year...ha, ha..you asked.
Who the best hockey player is or was, is a fact not an opinion, so....
You can have an opinion on that fact, but it doesn't change the fact!
Suck it up....cause I ain't going anywhere...he, he!
.....your buttons are showing.
Oh...whos bandwagon G, you've been avoiding that one!

R W G R
02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
And his teeth were too white. They looked fake.

Probably falseys.

But it was a gamble Wayne was willing to take.

R W G R
02-14-2010, 06:32 PM

That's all well and good, but not sure it reflects his playing career.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Gretzky is terribly over-rated.

Ha, Ha, Ha....not even close!

R W G R
02-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Ha, Ha, Ha....not even close!

Could he play a two-way game?

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Bobby Orr is one of the greatest players in NHL history.
In Gretzky’s second season 79-80, he broke Orr’s record for most assists in one season (102) with 109.
Gretzky did not have fewer than 102 assists until the 1991-92 season.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Could he play a two-way game?

Enough...but really he didn't have to.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 06:46 PM
In his third season, Gretzky did what many thought was impossible.
First, he scored 50 goals in 39 games. Next, he broke Esposito’s record for most goals in a season (76).
Then, he hit the 200 point plateau.
He finished the season setting new records with 212 points, 92 goals, and 120 assists.
....thats his third season!

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 06:49 PM
In 1983-84, Gretzky set a record with a 51 game point scoring streak.
During that streak, he had 61 goals and 92 assists for 153 points.
That is exactly three points a game.
That is amazing considering that he had a separated shoulder for much of that streak.
After that streak ended, he took 6 games off to rest his shoulder.
.....ha, ha, ha 153 in 51, ya it's got to be someone else!

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 06:52 PM
In 1989, he broke Gordie Howe’s record for most points in a career.
It took Howe 26 years to get 1850 points.
It took Gretzky only 10.
Gretzky averaged over 180 points a season for those 10 years.
His average was better than anyone else’s best except for Mario Lemieux.
Lemieux achieved over 180 points once in his career.

R W G R
02-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Enough...but really he didn't have to.

Translation: "No, he wasn't very good defensively"

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Only two players besides Gretzky have ever had 100 assists in an NHL season.
Mario Lemieux did it once with 114. Bobby Orr also did it once with 102.
Gretzky did it 11 times, all consecutively.
During that streak, his best season (1985-86) he had 163 assists and his worst season (1989-90) he had 102.
He holds the top eight spots in the record books for most assists in a season.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
He won nine Hart Trophies, the NHL's most valuable player award, and eight of these were awarded in consecutive years from 1980-1987.
In fact, Gretzky holds the record for most MVP awards of any player in American professional sports.

R W G R
02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
So what. He was one-dimensional.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Art Ross Trophy (scoring champion) -1981, 1982 ,1983 ,1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1994

R W G R
02-14-2010, 08:05 PM
http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/sleeping-cap-emoticon-animated.gif

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 08:06 PM
His total points including regular season and playoffs is an impressive 3,238.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
If you took away all of Gretzky’s goals, he would still have won the Art Ross Trophy for leading scorer four times and would still have more career points than anyone else.
His 1963 career assists are better than Gordie Howe’s 1850 and Mark Messier’s 1887 points.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Considering that only one player besides Gretzky has ever averaged two points a game in a season, what he did in 1985-86 is truly amazing.
He averaged over 2 assists a game that season.
He had 163 assists in 80 games and still managed to score 52 goals.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Here you go...it proves my point, so...

It was January 1978.
Gretzky was 16, playing for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds; I was 26, working on my first assignment for SI.
I had followed Gretzky for several games and been interviewed about him by a local newspaper.
Offensively, I opined, he could play with anyone in the NHL, but defensively, well, let's just say the only reason he was ever in his defensive zone was because he had to return there occasionally before he could start a rush.

The next game Gretzky was named first star, scoring a goal and adding two assists in a 4-2 win -- a rather unspectacular outing by his standards.
But he also played flawlessly in his own end.
As he left the ice, I was standing by the runway, and he winked at me as he passed. "Good enough defense for you?" the Kid asked.
It was the first glimpse I had of his pride.
—E.M. Swift

tired-n-cranky
02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
So what. He was one-dimensional.

Just like you with your idiotic "translation: " posts, your Pro-Americanism, and the stupidity your presence brings to this board.

Feel free to leave any time.

R W G R
02-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Just like you with your idiotic "translation: " posts, your Pro-Americanism, and the stupidity your presence brings to this board.

Feel free to leave any time.

Still doesn't change the fact Gretzky was one-dimensional.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Here you go...it proves my point, so...

It was January 1978.
Gretzky was 16, playing for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds; I was 26, working on my first assignment for SI.
I had followed Gretzky for several games and been interviewed about him by a local newspaper.
Offensively, I opined, he could play with anyone in the NHL, but defensively, well, let's just say the only reason he was ever in his defensive zone was because he had to return there occasionally before he could start a rush.

The next game Gretzky was named first star, scoring a goal and adding two assists in a 4-2 win -- a rather unspectacular outing by his standards.
But he also played flawlessly in his own end.
As he left the ice, I was standing by the runway, and he winked at me as he passed. "Good enough defense for you?" the Kid asked.
It was the first glimpse I had of his pride.
—E.M. Swift

...you miss this?

R W G R
02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
One game, Jack?

He played well defensively one game in twenty-some years and that proves he was a solid defensive player?

I'll never question his offensive prowess. But overall there are better players. Steve Yzerman comes to mind.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I live in Boston, and Boston was not one of Wayne Gretzky's better stops. The old Garden, with the smallest ice surface in the NHL, took away the flashiest pieces of his repertoire. Watching him play there was like trying to appreciate the majesty of a bald eagle while it was confined in a box.

In the early, championship-filled years of his career with the Edmonton Oilers, Gretzky came to the Garden only once or twice a year. The Bruins slapped a shadow on him -- often forward Steve Kasper , who won the Selke Trophy in 1982 as the league's top defensive forward -- and kept him under control. Gretzky was bumped and bothered as Boston fans cheered. Not counting the five expansion clubs added in the 1990s, the Bruins are the team that held him to the fewest regular-season points, if you consider 71 points in 51 games holding him.

This is the guy who's supposed to be better than Bobby Orr ? was the longtime appraisal of Gretzky by Boston fans. Who are they kidding? Then in 1988 the Bruins reached the Stanley Cup finals. Against the Oilers. Against Gretzky. The series was no contest. Edmonton won in four straight, and Gretzky was everywhere. He made those passes that only he could make, putting the puck on the blade of a teammate's stick in front of the goal at the proper moment. He controlled all power-play situations. He befuddled the Bruins with all his tricks. He finished with 13 points -- three goals and 10 assists -- a record for a final series. He was the easy choice for the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP.

Oh, my. The bald eagle was out of the box.
—Leigh Montville

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 09:04 PM
This is fun...what else do you think he didn't do?

R W G R
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
This is fun...what else do you think he didn't do?

Perhaps we should move this, Jack. After all, it has nothing to do with this thread. And last I knew Mods frowned on hijacking threads.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm showing why Gretzky deserves to be the guy.
....not sure what you are doing?

R W G R
02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm showing why Gretzky deserves to be the guy.
....not sure what you are doing?

A lot of people could have been the torch person.

Why not Roberta Bondar?

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Was she an Olympian?

R W G R
02-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Was she an Olympian?

Is that a prerequisite?

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 09:19 PM
I would think it helps.

GRUMPY
02-14-2010, 09:54 PM
This post is all you should need...now that was easy!
How quick you forget....check the WJ thread from last year...ha, ha..you asked.
Who the best hockey player is or was, is a fact not an opinion, so....
You can have an opinion on that fact, but it doesn't change the fact!
Suck it up....cause I ain't going anywhere...he, he!
.....your buttons are showing.
Oh...whos bandwagon G, you've been avoiding that one!

After reading this gobbly goop , I still don't see anything anti-Canadian.

Proof Jack come on prove you claim chump.Or are you weakly try to say that if I don't think that Wayne is the best ever then I am anti-Canadian or if I don't think that we had the best junior team that I am anti-Canadian?

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is a hell of a lot more to Canada than hockey!

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Haaay G, sup?
Did you go back to last years posts.
You were brutal...ha, ha!
And, who's bandwagon was it?

GRUMPY
02-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Cut the babble and provide proof. On second thought don't bother as my late father told never to waste my time arguing with a nut bar.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 10:40 PM
You argue with your Snickers....wow.
What bandwagon again....I missed what you said.
I don't need to prove it... you'll do it for me with your chirping!
You're good like that...ha, ha!

GRUMPY
02-14-2010, 10:43 PM
thank you for proving to any and all who might have been wondering about your mental health.

Jack Butler
02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Ha, Ha, Ha...don't you worry that little head of yours.
It seems stranded at the best of times.
....what bandwagon?

Soonet-china
02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Brutal, a woman from nevada, a desert state wins a medal for skiing, just now!! Why isnt canada dominating against the USA in canada? We have the money, the athletes, what is it? Just curious?
Im sure most cdns are irritated the USA always destroys us in the games, why?

Jack Butler
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Come on Mike think about.....you can figure it out!

Soonet-china
02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Its a timed event, unless roids are involved, i dont know?

Jack Butler
02-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Jamaica had a bobsled team...member?

Soonet-china
02-18-2010, 06:38 PM
I know!

Jack Butler
02-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Well...how did they do it?

Soonet-china
02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Who knows, magic, luck! The fact that canada can never keep pace with the USA is mind boggling! Unless, the americans pay there athletes like a full time job , 365 a year!

Jack Butler
02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Maybe they just moved there?
....I know, you were just going to say that!

Jack Butler
02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
300,000,000 people might have something to do with it?

Soonet-china
02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Thought of that, im not buying that, thats an excuse! Look at germany, other small countries!

Soonet-china
02-18-2010, 07:07 PM
If that was the case , the usa mens hockey team would always be better then us! The have had time to build there program, they have a good one. So, no, population ratio, no!

Jack Butler
02-18-2010, 07:23 PM
In hockey we have more registered players and winter is 10 months of the year....the hockey gods are from here!
With Germany it's experience, they excel in the older traditional sports....and of course money.
Own the podium is a first and all it does is maybe mirrors and in some cases falls short (USA & Germany) of what other countries fund.
Money is a big one!

Soonet-china
02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/768698--is-dream-of-owning-podium-slip-sliding-away
NOT!!!!!!!!

R W G R
02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
300,000,000 people might have something to do with it?

Well, let's look at population and the current medal standing s as of Feb 22:

1) United States ... 307,212,123

2) Germany ...82,329,758

3) Norway ...4,660,539

4) Russia ...140,041,247

5) Canada ...33,487,208

5) Korea ...48,508,972

11) China ...1,338,612,968

Population does not relate to doing well, or not, at the Olympics.

Jack Butler
02-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry.....307,000,000!

Soonet-china
02-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Canada chokes all the time, look at some of there finishes!

Jack Butler
02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
What are your expectations....a medal every time?

Soonet-china
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Compete with the USA! There is a problem!

Jack Butler
02-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Have you watched the Olympics before?

Soonet-china
02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes i have, why is it always the same result? Dont throw this population excuse at me! There are other issues going on here with canada!

Jack Butler
02-23-2010, 06:49 PM
How much is that gold medal worth?

http://www.cccski.com/main.asp?cmd=doc&ID=3747&lan=0

Soonet-china
02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Lack of motivation, not getting paid enough, thats why, thanks jack! I dont blame them. Bode miller, 3 million a year, im motivated!

Jack Butler
02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Glad you get it....the difference is enormous!
How many Home Depot commercials do you see with American athletes?
It's common in Canada, that our world class athletes need part time jobs.

R W G R
02-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Glad you get it....the difference is enormous!
How many Home Depot commercials do you see with American athletes?
It's common in Canada, that our world class athletes need part time jobs.

How many American Olympians make millions off endorsements? Two per Olympics, maybe?

Quit making excuses.

Jack Butler
02-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Anything to prove what you say?

R W G R
02-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Anything to prove what you say?

You're the one making the accusation!

LOL :)

Tell me, Jack: How many American Olympians become millionaires after the Olympics?

Jack Butler
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Summer or winter?

R W G R
02-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Whatever.

But I'm not discussing this anymore on this thread, this isn't the place for it. Move this to "Sports".

Jack Butler
02-23-2010, 07:23 PM
If you are talking winter: Ohno, Vonn, Lysacek, Kearney, White, Davis, Wescott.
...maybe more?
There are Americans that are eligible that didn't qualify that make millions every year, so....

Huggy85
02-23-2010, 07:39 PM
The United States is the only country that considers total medal count as more important than Gold medal count (since Beijing)

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs31/i/2008/225/6/d/America__s_special_Medal_Count_by_Mdoddr.jpg

Even the IOC emphasizes Gold medal count over total medal count.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4599875.ece

"The race for the Olympic title is measured in medals, it just depends on which medals you consult. The IOC issues its league table based on the number of golds won"

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2008/0824/solving-the-medal-muddle

"But the International Olympic Committee (IOC) ranks its medal table by gold medals. That means if someone had happened to win 300 silver and bronze medals and no golds here, it would have ended up being ranked 56th – behind Cameroon, which won a single gold in the women’s triple jump."

That means we are tied for second place in these Olympics thus far. Not bad, I'd say!

R W G R
02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Let the excuses begin!

LOL

Jack Butler
02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Let the excuses begin!

LOL

What excuses?

Soonet-china
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Even the IOC emphasizes Gold medal count over total medal count.
I agree with this statement, do you go to the stanley cup finals to lose, to you want to lose at the WS, how about losing the SB, exactly. 2nd place is the first person to lose!

Soonet-china
02-24-2010, 05:59 PM
If canada never wins another medal again, its okay!
They do not have the proper motivation!

Huggy85
02-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Yes i have, why is it always the same result? Dont throw this population excuse at me! There are other issues going on here with canada!

Yeah! And its always bothered me that Wawa doesn't have a hockey team that plays in the same league as the Soo Greyhounds. Lack of population and resources is no excuse. Those Wawa kids just aren't motivated enough.

By the way, Canada is doing great in the olympics. We might not "own the podium", but for a country our size, we are doing exceptionally well.

Soonet-china
02-25-2010, 07:10 PM
http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/771590--why-canadian-women-rock-at-the-olympics
This is why, the cdn women are better then the other women!
I guess the cdn men are not better then the other men!

Jack Butler
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
You guessed wrong.

Soonet-china
02-27-2010, 04:47 PM
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=53468.html?cid=rsstsn
This is great, because according to many, silver and bronze are worthless! Go canada, beating the usa and the world in gold count is awesome! I am proud of that!

Jack Butler
02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Where does it say that?

Soonet-china
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
THE IOC, says it! Scroll up on this page, its posted!

Huggy85
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=53468.html?cid=rsstsn
This is great, because according to many, silver and bronze are worthless! Go canada, beating the usa and the world in gold count is awesome! I am proud of that!

Meaningless. According to Mr. Wolf, its far more important to have a bunch more 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Jack Butler
02-28-2010, 07:38 AM
THE IOC, says it! Scroll up on this page, its posted!

It doesn't say that Mike!

Huggy85
02-28-2010, 10:10 AM
What the IOC says.....

http://wapedia.mobi/en/2010_Winter_Olympics_medal_table#1.

"The medal table is based on information provided by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and is consistent with IOC convention in its published medal tables. By default, the table is ordered by the number of gold medals the athletes from a nation have won (in this context, a nation is an entity represented by a National Olympic Committee). The number of silver medals is taken into consideration next and then the number of bronze medals. If nations are still tied, equal ranking is given and they are listed alphabetically."

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 Canada (CAN) 13 7 5 25
2 Germany (GER) 10 12 7 29
3 United States (USA) 9 14 13 36
4 Norway (NOR) 8 8 6 22
5 South Korea (KOR) 6 6 2 14
6 Switzerland (SUI) 6 0 3 9
7 China (CHN) 5 2 4 11
8 Sweden (SWE) 5 2 3 10
9 Austria (AUT) 4 6 6 16
10 Netherlands (NED) 4 1 3 8
11 Russia (RUS) 3 5 7 15