PDA

View Full Version : Which Version of Linux?

KDawg
02-13-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm thinking of ditching Vista for a Linux distribution. I'm not a power-user, it would be mainly for everyday computing and internet use (streaming audio/video, downloading mp3 files, etc.)

Who has experience with Linux? Do you need antivirus software? Is using commercial software out of the question? Which distro is adviseable for someone who's never used Linux before?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upper Decker
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Ubuntu would be the outright simplest version for a noobie to learn. No antivirus needed. Not sure why people need them myself. Linux is pretty much free all around unless you feel like supporting the community by donating a few bucks which is always a help. Linux has a steep learning curve though and unless your willing to put the time into learning it, it may not be for you. But if you do put the effort into it, linux can be an extremely powerful and fast operating system once you have learned it and can tweak it to your personal settings.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

There is a very good support community there, and almost any question you have there should be an answer on thier forums.

On another note, Windows 7 is about as good as its going to get for an operating system in my opinion, and its a bloody good operating sytem at that.

Hans
02-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I tried linux desktops several times, and had a linux file server running for over a year.
I personally would not recommend using linux as your only operating system.

The biggest issue with linux is that it's free, and so are most of the applications. Everybody under the sun now makes distro's and applications, often poorly implemented.

If you want to give it a try download one of the pendrive linux distros, so you can try them from a usb stick without the need to install anything.