PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry recipes

goodasgold
02-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I have some frozen strawberries that need to be used up before we move. Does anyone have some yummy recipes that they would like to share?

A*lil*Loopy
02-19-2010, 07:09 PM
You are in the same boat I am. I was considering trying a pumpkin muffin recipe, just using strawberries instead of the pumpkin. Figured it should work if you mash them a bit..........?
When I try it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

When in doubt you can always make some jam, everyone loves a jar of the homemade stuff!

Dragonfly
02-19-2010, 11:36 PM
I would think that you wouldnt even really need to follow a recipe for pumpkin muffins to make that. You could make tim hortons style fruit ones by just adding cut up berries like you would choc. chips. Might be easier?

mags
02-20-2010, 02:34 PM
my family likes this
i often make it with just strawberries

FRUIT TART

1 free-form tart shell
1 cup pastry cream
6 cups fruit
1/2 cup glaze) or confectioner sugar for dusting
Toasted sliced almonds or chopped pistachios

Note:
Any fruit normally served uncooked will be perfect in this type of tart. Avoid apples, pears, bananas, peaches and apricots because they discolor, even when glazed. The best fruit to use include berries, kiwis, oranges, seedless grapes, mangos, and papayas.

Spread pastry cream evenly on the bottom of the crust. Arrange fruit in overlapping concentric rows, beginning at outside edge and working in towards the center. For a "fruit salad" tart, toss fruit in a bowl with a drop of Kirsch (optional). Pile the fruit on the pastry cream.

Edge the crust with the nuts and sprinkle on fruit at the edge of the tart. Either brush glaze on the fruit or sprinkle with confectioner?s sugar.

1 tart

DOUGH:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose, bleached flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
7 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1 egg
1 tablespoon water

Place flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse 3 or 4 times to mix. Add butter and pulse about 12 to 15 times until the mixture is reduced to a fine powder. Do not allow to become pasty. Add egg and liquid, and continue to pulse until the dough forms a ball.

Remove dough from work bowl to a lightly floured work surface and pat into a 5-inch disk. Use immediately, or wrap in plastic and chill until firm before using.

To make a free-form tart crust, roll dough to a 12-inch disk and transfer it to a parchment- or foil-lined cookie sheet, or the back of a jelly-roll pan. Using a plate or cardboard disk as a pattern, trim the dough to an even 12-inch diameter. Fold under 1/2-inch of dough along the edge of the dough, then flute the edge as if it were a pie, to make the edge stand up. Use the thumb and index finger of one hand on the outside of the tart shell and the index finger of the other hand on the inside and pinch gently from the outside while pressing lightly from the inside. Repeat all around the edge of the crust.

Pierce the dough with a fork before baking. Place the dough on the middle rack of a preheated 400 degree oven. Lower temperature to 350 and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.

PASTRY CREAM:

3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose bleached flour
Pinch salt
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon soft unsalted butter
2 teaspoons orange liqueur or Kirsch, optional

Combine sugar, flour and salt in a 1 to 1 1/2-quart non-reactive saucepan. Stir with a small whisk to mix. Whisk in milk, then egg and yolk. Place over low heat, whisking constantly, until the pastry cream thickens and comes to a boil. Allow to boil 10 or 15 seconds, whisking constantly.

Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and butter. Scrape the pastry cream into a non-reactive bowl and press plastic wrap against the surface. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Stir in liqueur just before using pastry cream.

GLAZE:

1/2 cup apple jelly or apricot preserves
1 tablespoon water or liqueur

In a small saucepan bring the preserves and water or liqueur to a simmer, stirring often. Strain into another pan and return to a boil. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
NOTE: If tart is mostly red fruit, use currant jelly and strawberry or raspberry preserves.

mags
02-20-2010, 02:35 PM
here is another one that can be made with fresh or frozen berries

STRAWBERRY PUFF

3 eggs, 3/4 C. all-purpose flour, 3/4 C. milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, 4 C. fresh strawberries, 1/2 C. whipping cream, 2 TBS. maple syrup, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg, 2 TBS. butter, softened, 2 TBS. icing sugar.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, milk and salt until smooth; set aside.

Meanwhile, wash, hull and slice berries.

With mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form. Stir in maple syrup and cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Before preheating the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), place racks in centre and bottom positions. The puff is baked on the centre rack and the other one should be out of
the way so that the top of the puff doesn’t touch it.

With waxed paper, spread butter evenly over bottom and side of inside of 10- to 12-inch (25 to 30 cm) skillet. Using oven mitts place pan on centre rack in oven to preheat for 4
to 5 minutes.

Using oven mitts, remove pan from oven and place on stovetop; pour batter into pan. Return to oven; bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C);
bake for 10 minutes or until puffed, brown and crisp.

Using oven mitts, carefully remove pan from oven. Slip metal spatula under puff; gently slide from side to side to loosen bottom from skillet. Slide onto platter.

Spoon berries over half of the puff, then fold other side over top. Using small sieve, dust puff with icing sugar. Slice crosswise into 4 pieces; top with whipped cream.

yoda
02-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I love strawberries with a light syrup over good old fashioned vanilla ice cream