PDA

View Full Version : how many internet,phone, and t.v. company's in the soo. rogers is updating as we spea

AmdWolfman
02-21-2010, 02:47 PM
rogers is updating as we speak, they won't give me any answers till after the update is concluded. But anyone know any other company's,,,please post them here for me,thx.

Strife
02-21-2010, 04:06 PM
If you want it all on one bill, only Shaw and Bell offer all three services. If you dont care about having it all on the same bill, Teksavvy has internet (not sure about phone) and Vianet has phone and internet services.

AmdWolfman
02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Does Canada have AT&T ?

Strife
02-25-2010, 02:55 AM
No...

AmdWolfman
02-25-2010, 11:39 AM
vianet is testing cable in Kappuskasing, hopefully it comes here.

Cruel_Intentions
03-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm with teksavvy and am very pleased with their service. Their tech support is based all out of sothern ontario and I had bandwidth issues when I moved into the new house. All issues were resolved in 2 days max and they bumped me to a 6M line free instead of the standard 5 since the line can now handle it. To be completly honest I don't have a single bad thing to say about them. Their rates are very competitive I found ($29.95 for 5M line/200GB month cap). They also offer phone service.

Andre
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I have phone and dsl with them too. No problems at all.

mercifulpenguin
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm up in Thunder Bay and there's some interesting things happening. Rogers is pulling out of Thunder Bay, thus transferring all Roger's contracts to their new 'partner' TbayTel. Tbay Tel has greater tower coverage between here and the Soo, almost the entire way in fact. It's a bummer though for people stuck in 3 year contracts as it's not clear what happens when/if they leave Thunder Bay as Tbay Tel doesn't really exist far from here as far as I know. The point of me rambling this is that maybe existing Rogers customers will also reap the benefit of the TbayTel towers, so Rogers customers in the Soo may get greater coverage West of the Soo. Maybe this is the 'upgrade' they speak of.

Barry Morris
09-09-2010, 10:18 AM
If you want it all on one bill, only Shaw and Bell offer all three services. If you dont care about having it all on the same bill, Teksavvy has internet (not sure about phone) and Vianet has phone and internet services.

Just curious. If you have phone and internet on cable with Vianet (it's Shaw's cable, after all) how do they cut off cable TV???

Barry Morris
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm up in Thunder Bay and there's some interesting things happening. Rogers is pulling out of Thunder Bay, thus transferring all Roger's contracts to their new 'partner' TbayTel. Tbay Tel has greater tower coverage between here and the Soo, almost the entire way in fact. It's a bummer though for people stuck in 3 year contracts as it's not clear what happens when/if they leave Thunder Bay as Tbay Tel doesn't really exist far from here as far as I know. The point of me rambling this is that maybe existing Rogers customers will also reap the benefit of the TbayTel towers, so Rogers customers in the Soo may get greater coverage West of the Soo. Maybe this is the 'upgrade' they speak of.

I had to go to a Bell cell phone to get TBay Tel coverage. My Rogers cell phone wouldn't work.

cybolynx
09-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Just curious. If you have phone and internet on cable with Vianet (it's Shaw's cable, after all) how do they cut off cable TV???

with a filter ... i believe the cable tv is in the upper frequency and the phone and internet are on lower frequencies ...

also .. when shaw FIRST introduced highspeed internet they didnt use filters so anybody using high speed technicaly got free basic cable if you installed a splitter ...

H.E. Pennypacker
09-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I had to go to a Bell cell phone to get TBay Tel coverage. My Rogers cell phone wouldn't work.

soon it will if you have a new rogers phone on the HSPA network. only rogers phones will work up to thunder bay on the new hspa network.

Shawn
10-19-2010, 04:37 AM
vianet is testing cable in Kappuskasing, hopefully it comes here.

Actually its Sudbury... We don't have any customers on it yet, but we have the licenses and are currently securing the providers for the tv channels...

Trust me when I say none of the cable or satellite providers will be able to compete with what we are going to be offering. I can't say too much at this point but I am sure at some point we will get it here, just no idea when.

Hans
10-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I like the sound of that, and I am always available to test it out. lol

Shawn
11-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Figured I would post this article Jake over at soonews.ca did. http://soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=28707 It was kind of funny because we found out about it from Bell. They sent it to the owner of Vianet, as part of Bell job is to troll through websites to find use of their name.

PrairieDog43
12-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Glad I was on Vianet. DSL (high speed) and phone for $68.35 including tax. Ya can't beat their prices. And they're really reliable, I can't remember when they were down, if ever.

Andre
12-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Ya can't beat their prices.

Sure you can. www.teksavvy.ca
$63.77 including taxes and only .029/minute long distance

PrairieDog43
12-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Take $5 off that price and it was the same as Teksavvy. They charge me $5 for the modem. In the past, I had my own modem, but both of them broke... thus, the same price for Teksavvy. When I checked earlier, a year ago, Teksavvy wouldn't rent a modem, you had to buy one. I got tired of owning my own modem, so Vianet can worry about it. I don't use long distance. If I did make calls it would cost me 5 cents per minute, pay what you use. I *could* sign up for a cheaper plan for 2 cents per minute, but I don't need it.

Andre
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I feel sorry for you and your tarded offspring

PrairieDog43
12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Why is that off-colored comment ? Explain please.

BTW, I don't have a "tarded offspring".

Andre
12-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Take $5 off that price and it was the same as Teksavvy. They charge me $5 for the modem. In the past, I had my own modem, but both of them broke... thus, the same price for Teksavvy. When I checked earlier, a year ago, Teksavvy wouldn't rent a modem, you had to buy one. I got tired of owning my own modem, so Vianet can worry about it. I don't use long distance. If I did make calls it would cost me 5 cents per minute, pay what you use. I *could* sign up for a cheaper plan for 2 cents per minute, but I don't need it.

If you don't find anything wrong in that post ........I can't help you

I'll just assume you are a special needs person

/good day

PrairieDog43
12-02-2010, 03:41 AM
OK... what is wrong with my post ?

Shawn
12-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Well Andre, I guess the biggest difference that that couple of dollars makes is that we have a local office here in the Sault, employing local people. Another thing is if a person as a problem there is someone local who can check it out, or if the modem dies it can be swapped the same day or next day... I guess you have to do quite a bit of driving to get to your local Teksavvy office...

SmrtGrl
12-02-2010, 08:59 AM
I don't care who my ISP is....at this point I would be ecstatic to not be stuck with dial-up!!!!!! And don't suggest a stick...I don't want to pay through the butt for internet either!!! lol

Andre
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Hey Shawn, how much is vianet dsl if I own my modem?

Shawn
12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
$35 if you own your own modem.