PDA

View Full Version : Internet 'Leak'

NewCasa
02-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm on Xplornet and for my $80/month I'm permitted downloads of 200mb per day. This includes web pages, images, updates - everything. Usually I'm fine because I pretty much only visit text sites, email etc. but for the last couple of days I've gone over my quota. When this happens Xplornet throttles my connection so I'm basically about 1/4 as fast as a dialup connection - pretty much dead for the next 24 hours.

Now, here's the thing - I haven't downloaded ANYTHING.

I suspect there's some sort of virus on my computer because when I bring up the status monitor for my computer's connection I find that it's uploading and downloading on a constant basis. And not just a little bit - over 8 hours it uploaded 25mb and dowloaded 75mb.

Right now my computer is shut off and it won't be coming on till I can figure out how to deal with this. I've got a laptop I can use, but I would really like to fix the desktop machine.

I've got Panda virus protection - ran that and found some things, but not the main culprit. I've checked task manager, nothing running that shouldn't be as far as I could tell.

Any suggestions?

Upper Decker
02-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Try this out, I swear by it .

http://www.simplysup.com/

Install it , and restart in safe mode and run it. Should clean out any problems. Also did you update windows at all? Sounds like windows update or a piece of software that has passive updating policies.

NewCasa
02-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Try this out, I swear by it .

http://www.simplysup.com/

Install it , and restart in safe mode and run it. Should clean out any problems. Also did you update windows at all? Sounds like windows update or a piece of software that has passive updating policies.

Thanks - I will try that. I've got Windows 7 - I've updated it totally. I found this too: Network Probe. Neat thing about it is that it'll identify the things that are using my bandwidth and allow me to kill them myself.

I will also check out malwarebytes.

When you get a satellite they give you a bunch of paperwork - it's in the fine print. It's called the 'Fair Access Policy'. I have called them a couple of times about it, but I won't bother again - it's a minimum of 45 minutes to actually get to a live body who can provide any help at all. There is no warning about the punishment - they have an automated system that monitors and throttles access. When I spoke to their Tier 2 support I was told that even they have no control over it.

NewCasa
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I found the cause the hard way - did my own sleuthing. It was a virus called msa.exe. Very small file - about 180k, but that was the culprit all right. I renamed it and removed it from memory, rebooted and kept checking internet activity for several hours after that - back to normal. I googled the virus and there's lots of reports on it but my Panda antivirus missed it on a full system scan. So much for Panda. Thinking McCaffee.....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090713210945AAMSxqn

mboy67
02-23-2010, 10:04 PM
McCaffee sucks. AntiVir is the one to use.

NewCasa
02-23-2010, 10:20 PM
McCaffee sucks. AntiVir is the one to use.

From you sir, that is gospel. I will grab it and install it. Thanks for the tip.

Hans
02-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I just had a brilliant idea. Someone should make a new one called diaper, so take care of internet leaks!

NewCasa
02-24-2010, 08:33 AM
I just had a brilliant idea. Someone should make a new one called diaper, so take care of internet leaks!

I just called Peter N. He's on it. He's negotiating a partnership with a major diaper manufacturer. The next Norton Utilities will be called NetDepends.

ByrdDawg
02-26-2010, 08:03 AM
But will it be able to handle the " Netlax 2.0 " virus ?

NewCasa
02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
But will it be able to handle the " Netlax 2.0 " virus ?

I believe so. They say it's completely pamper proof.

ByrdDawg
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Well, if they include an anal-log mode with it, I may take the plunge and download it.

NewCasa
02-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Well, if they include an anal-log mode with it, I may take the plunge and download it.

Ouch! This thread is starting to stink!

ByrdDawg
02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah - I'm running out of poop jokes - time to move on.

Hans
02-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Party pooper!