PDA

View Full Version : Noises in my computer speakers

Bluesky
03-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Is there a way of filtering out the noise? It happens, for instance when the furnace comes on. Ir other electrical switches are activated in the house.

Hans
03-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Cheapest way is to buy a UPS and put the power feeding your speakers on the ups outlet.

8th
03-04-2010, 08:44 PM
re wire your house or get a good power bar with a noise filter or both:smile:

Upper Decker
03-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Might be the power supply itself. Did the problem just start or has it always been there. If the problem just started Id be looking at replacing the power supply.

Scabtacular
03-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Rent the movie "White Noise" ...then never, ever use those speakers again!!!

Seriously, It's very common. Microwaves are really notorious for this sort of thing. It's also a good idea to look up the following...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum

Play the .wav in the player below and LYAO!!

The solutions above are a solid step in the right direction.

NewCasa
03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Run a dedicated line for the computer and speakers. My guess is you're on 60amp service with old, poorly shielded wire. If you run a new wire it'll be NMD so the shielding will be good and if it's dedicated you'll have 15amps on it.

Hans
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
NMD wire is not shielded. For shielded wiring you would have run a VFD, which is going to be expensive and not fix your problem.
Your issue with switch noises is caused by voltage spikes due to opening circuits. Normally amplifier circuits are double insulated to avoid these transients from being amplified and audible on your speakers. Transients can be filtered out in several ways, and one of them is use a UPS. A cheap UPS will do the trick.

Bluesky
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah, this is switch noise. I am in the basement, and whenever the furnace or the fridge come on, that's when I get the noise. OK, thanks, plenty of good suggestions to work on here. (except for rewiring the house! :)

Hans
03-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Just don't buy any Monster brand equipment.