PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid Long distance Calling Cards Question???

MaO3
03-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Does anyone have any experience with calling cards?

I have a friend who's heading to Toronto for 5 weeks and I thought that a prepaid calling card might be a helpful gift.
I know NOTHING about them and dont' want to get them a card that 50% of the value goes to connection charges.

Anyone have insight ? I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks

BFLPE
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
No useful insight on prepaid calling cards but wouldn't a calling card from their phone company be better?

MaO3
03-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Thats what I'm asking. The idea is that I'd like to give them a gift that might make things a little easier on them. Five weeks of long distance calls is pretty expensive, I'm just trying to find something I can do to help - even a little.

tired-n-cranky
03-09-2010, 09:34 AM
for this type of situation, I just use my laptop, along with freephoneline.ca software and a headset.

But not everyone has a laptop.

MaO3
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
My friends dont' have a laptop or a cell phone.

03-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Some cards have a connection charge, some don't.

The ones with a connection charge are better for long calls. The ones without are better for short calls.

Giggle Squirt
03-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Does anyone have any experience with calling cards?

I have a friend who's heading to Toronto for 5 weeks and I thought that a prepaid calling card might be a helpful gift.
I know NOTHING about them and dont' want to get them a card that 50% of the value goes to connection charges.

Anyone have insight ? I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks

I have always used cici calling cards for both in canada and in the us. the rates are very good.

MaO3
03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Any idea where I can pick up a ci ci card? That seems to be the suggested card.

Giggle Squirt
03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
mac's mart

MaO3
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks Giggle. I'll stop in and get one for them today! :)

gouligann
03-09-2010, 10:45 AM
For calling long distance, I use this cheaper method all the time for my bell phone at home.

If they are calling from a regular land line phone from Toronto to a regular land line to the Sault, (or the other way around) they can call 10-10-710 before the 1-705-... and they can talk for 110 minutes for just 99cents
No Signups
No contracts to sign
No extra fees
24 hours / 7 days a week
No charge if you hang up within
10 seconds if you get an answering machine

For more info: http://www.1010710.com/intro_en.html

Strife
03-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I have used Ci-Ci (pronounced see see) phone cards. When I called my girlfriend across the river, a 10 minute card got me over 300 minutes. There are local number for SSM and pretty much every other major city. There is also a toll free number that she can use but it does have a charge to it.

MaO3
03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
For calling long distance, I use this cheaper method all the time for my bell phone at home.

If they are calling from a regular land line phone from Toronto to a regular land line to the Sault, (or the other way around) they can call 10-10-710 before the 1-705-... and they can talk for 110 minutes for just 99cents
No Signups
No contracts to sign
No extra fees
24 hours / 7 days a week
No charge if you hang up within
10 seconds if you get an answering machine

For more info: http://www.1010710.com/intro_en.html

I'll have to talk to them about that option too. Gouligan. Great information.

thanks everyone!

Chester Field
03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I have been having a lot of problems with VOIP based calling cards lately. For peace of mind you might want to stay with a more mainstream branded card. The per minute rate is higher, but at least they work when you need them to and they work from payphones.

icecapp
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I myself use pc (presidents choice ones its 4 cents a minute and come in denomints of 5 10 15 and higher values.. they do have 1 yr expriery dates.. You pick up a pay phone, or cell phone or land line dial the 1 I think its 866 number on the back, and then follow the prompts.. and it will tell you when you want to use it how much is left.. very easy to use. and very cost efficent.. I have even used the rest of one I bought for travel at home... while my moms been out of town.. cause it was a savings.. can by them at romes, and no frills.. but you have to make sure you get teh longdistance pre paid and not the mobile ones...

http://pctelecom.ca/defaulttelecom.aspx/language/english

Mimi
03-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I use Sifa Cards in Toronto. My sister in Toronto uses them all the time to call the Soo

1000 minutes for $5

Here are the conditions:

By purchasing Sifa phone card you are accepting the terms and conditions of the card.
Prices are subject to change without notice.
Prices based on local access. Surcharges apply to access from 800 numbers.
Rates and minutes quoted may not include applicable taxes.
25 cents weekly maintenance fee applies.
Extra charges for calls to cellular phones, special services.
No residual value. Not refundable once PIN scratched.
Not responsible for loss of credit for calls to cell phones, fax or answering machines.
Card expires 90 days from first use.

MaO3
03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I bought Ci Ci cards for them.