PDA

View Full Version : MS Access 2010, or Access in general

kinkysquiggles
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Hello,
I am trying to remember how to use access in general, or specifically, use Access 2010.
I am trying to make a very specific database, and need to incorporate LOTS of Excel spreadsheets. If you possibly have any advice, and think you can help, please let me know, and I will fill you in on exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks a million!!

Hans
03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
2010 is in beta stage. You should use 2007 or lower.

Scoff
03-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Kinky, if these Excel files are still being used to report numbers (production or whatever data) etc outside the Access application then you'll want to use the "link table" option to link the worksheets to Access (to manage the data better). That way each time the database is open you will be viewing the updated data from the excel sheets. We do this all the time with older (local) applications that have grown monstrous using Excel workbooks.

If the workbooks are not going to be used anymore simply use the "import" option to import worksheets to tables.

If you really want specific help send me a PM, I'm a database/ER guru. I used to teach an Access course as well at my current and previous companies and work in Oracle, SQL, Access & .NET on a daily basis.

axalon2003
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Check out office.microsoft.com for tutorials and how-to's. It also has a fair number of templates available for download. I sometimes use the templates as a starting point for different projects.