PDA

View Full Version : Is it difficult to replace the "main" computer on my wireless home network?

SilverDog
03-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Say computer "A" is the main (Windows XP) computer that I used to set up a D-Link wireless network. It's wired to the D-Link. Other (Win Vista & XP) computers connect wirelessly.

The network is secured and password-protected.

When I dump computer "A" and buy a replacement -- notebook "B" (with Windows 7) -- do I have to do anything special?

For example, do I have to set up the whole network again?

Or can I just unplug "A" and plug in "B"? If so, would I be able to login to the D-Link from "B" using the original password and carry on as usual?

I tried googling this and searching dlink's website, but nothing. Surely people need to do this every few years.

Thank you!

Upper Decker
03-13-2010, 10:04 PM
nope, just replace units and away you go.

Scabtacular
03-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Owch...that hurt my noggin! Please in the future refrain from over complicating technology that (loosely) SHOULD make things EASIER!

Next time, YOUR buying the Tylenol!
LOL!!

Strife
03-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Owch...that hurt my noggin! Please in the future refrain from over complicating technology that (loosely) SHOULD make things EASIER!

Next time, YOUR buying the Tylenol!
LOL!!

He described the situation perfectly. He asked a question and clarified the question to make sure there were no posts asking him to clarify it.

Killswitch
03-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Say computer "A" is the main (Windows XP) computer that I used to set up a D-Link wireless network. It's wired to the D-Link. Other (Win Vista & XP) computers connect wirelessly.

The network is secured and password-protected.

When I dump computer "A" and buy a replacement -- notebook "B" (with Windows 7) -- do I have to do anything special?

For example, do I have to set up the whole network again?

Or can I just unplug "A" and plug in "B"? If so, would I be able to login to the D-Link from "B" using the original password and carry on as usual?

I tried googling this and searching dlink's website, but nothing. Surely people need to do this every few years.

Thank you!

All the changes you made to the settings of the router are saved in the router itself. So you can toss any computer on your network and your router will remain the way you set it up. You can login to any router using any computer as long as you know it's IP, username and password.......... if you are connected to the network to begin with of course.

Hans
03-20-2010, 03:03 PM
There should be no problem using the same password and wireless network settings in your new computer, unless you used advanced safety features in your router. For example, you can restrict access to your router based on MAC address. In such a case your new computer would not be able to access your wireless network anymore. But I highly doubt you would have this enabled in your router.