PDA

View Full Version : confusing boot issue

Cruel_Intentions
03-14-2010, 06:44 PM
So last night I got a new motherboard and installed it. It has a Intel Pentium E5300, 2GB of OCZ Gold DDR2800, Nvidia 7800GT, a 1TB SATA hdd, a 200GB IDE hdd, a 80gb IDE hdd, and a SATA DVD Burner. It was running fine until today when it just rebooted automatically (don't know exactly what happened, I was upstairs at the time).

Anyways, now when it powers on, it runs through the post, is able to detect all drives, but on the next screen it displays all the PCI devices and then sits there. It never boots from the hard drive.

If I select the boot menu and boot from DVD it works fine (booting to Win7 DVD). From windows 7 setup I'm able to call up a command prompt and access the hard drives no problem at all. Startup repair detects no problems. If selecting a hard drive to boot the same thing happens, just sits there with a flashing cursor.

So far I've reset the bios, disconnected all hdds besides the main boot drive, and tried reinstalling win7 to try to correct the problem (which goes ok until the reboot, where it just sits there again).

anyone see this before?

Hans
03-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Do you use ahci, or compatibility mode for the sata drive?

Cruel_Intentions
03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
AHCI, I seem to have got it resolved tho. I beleive it may have been caused when the computer went into hibernation or sleep mode, then when it 'woke' back up it for some reason the boot loader wouldn't work properly. I resolved the issue by installing an os on another hdd and then using EasyBCD to reset the main os bootloader.