PDA

View Full Version : xbox arcade

TheManInBlack
03-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Is this thing even worth getting? $129 but only has 256mgb of Hd space

Upper Decker
03-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Im thinking about getting one just replace my aging system. I think its worth getting if you already have the drive and what not and just want a cheap replacement. Otherwise from doing cosmetic and software modding of these systems, i suggest getting an elite system above all due to the fact that the coolers in the elites are really good actually and that the others use substandard cooling.

Iverson3k
03-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Id say do it and check sootoday or elsewhere as I saw someone was selling a 20gig hard drive for 30$... Its a decent deal... I have a 20gig but its down to 6 and its only for emergencies and expansions.

Shawn
04-11-2010, 10:58 PM
With the latest update to the xbox you can use use a 16 gig flash drive or external hard drive. Anything greater than 16 gigs can be then used to store your computers files... You can even adjust the size of the drive. I have been playing with this and so far it works great. The 256Mb memory card is just way too small. I have a 512MB one and its still way to small... but Microsoft finally did something right with this...

I will say one thing if you don't have a hard drive currently I would go Elite too, once you download some demo and add on's to games it chews up space quickly.

Hans
04-12-2010, 12:16 PM
I would get the arcade and get a 500 Gb external HDD. Will cost you the same as a Elite, but you end up with much more storage capacity that can be shared between devices.

Shawn
04-12-2010, 08:43 PM
But you can't use a 500 gig drive on the xbox... All mighty Microsoft won't let you... I think its PS3 you are thinking of... I just upgraded mine to a 320 Gig drive, but with the xbox you need a special file to be on the drive to make it work, just popping in a regular drive won't work... The biggest one microsoft is currently selling is the 250 Gig drive.

Hans
04-12-2010, 09:53 PM
This is for xbox 360, no?

Upper Decker
04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
You can use an external hard drive for your xbox sure, but you cant put saved game data and other important xbox crap on the external. Shawn was right with the 250gb limit (and microsoft makes sure the 360 caps out @ 250gb as I attempted to put a 500gb drive and only got 250gb showing. )Going to get a WD 250gb drive and Ill be laughing.

Hans
04-13-2010, 12:04 PM
You can use a 500 Gb drive and put multimedia files on it for playback on the Xbox360 according to Google.

Upper Decker
04-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Thats fine and dandy, but you still cant put your saved game files on an external drive. You also cant put your downloaded material from LIVE marketplace on to said external drive. Thats why the arcade version is so cheap, an xbox hard drive is roughly $100 for even a small 20gb drive. I myself needed the bigger xbox drive to install my games onto to speed up loading times and help generate a little less heat from the optical spinning non-stop.

Long story short, the 256mb card is good enough for updates and few saved game files, but thats the limit of that. One does need a 360 hdd. Also the only reason to plug an external drive into your 360 is if you cant figure out basic networking to get Media center working or lack of a pc sharing media.

Upper Decker
04-21-2010, 11:06 AM
I stand corrected, apparently the most recent update allows you to save games to an external HDD. Apparently you can also format an external drive in HFS+ format and use it as 360 drive. But that process is only bypass the 4gb file size limit so you can view HD WMV files without a problm.