PDA

View Full Version : Greenhouses

yoda
03-17-2010, 05:19 AM
If you have one, did you buy it, or build it? If you built, what did you use and what size?

kitca
03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
my mom has one of those plastic ones from the tire. it works pretty good, she loves it. her neighbour, the husband built one for her out of old shower doors from the dump. for a long time my mom used shower doors leaned up against the house. it works great for keeping off the frost, but it doesnt have the warmth you need for the sprouting plants.

yoda
03-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I haven't decided yet whether to get one or not or to build or buy, but I think that I would enjoy it

Cher
03-18-2010, 08:08 PM
I have thought of buying/building one... the rabbits out my way would eat all my vegetation if I just had exposed plants!! :)

kitca
03-19-2010, 08:17 AM
i think if you love it, then you will love it. but if you are doing it to try and save money, then you will make up for that with spending your time. but if you love to see your own seeds grow and nuture them and feel that satisfaction of growing them yourself, then nothing can beat it. there just isnt enough room in those small little portable greenhouses. especially if you overwinter your dailia and begonia tubers and need to start them, you need the space.

Peety
03-19-2010, 10:35 AM
i think if you love it, then you will love it. but if you are doing it to try and save money, then you will make up for that with spending your time. but if you love to see your own seeds grow and nuture them and feel that satisfaction of growing them yourself, then nothing can beat it. there just isnt enough room in those small little portable greenhouses. especially if you overwinter your dailia and begonia tubers and need to start them, you need the space.

I lost a plastic tote of Dailias. Some one forgot to put them in the cold room. The container was left in the shop.

yoda
03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I lost a plastic tote of Dailias. Some one forgot to put them in the cold room. The container was left in the shop.

I would not be happy :sad: I always have a difficult time with tubers and such.

Peety
03-20-2010, 12:25 AM
I would not be happy :sad: I always have a difficult time with tubers and such.

I was pretty bummed when I fond the container and all frozen.. Alot of them were new,