PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have thier own website?

scalerman
03-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Wondering if anyone has thier own website and what platform it is running on. I'm trying to start my own and would like some ideas what to use.

Scoff
03-26-2010, 04:22 PM
OS Platform?

You're looking at Windows (IIS - Internet Information Services) or Linux (Apache). Before that you should know what languages are your preference for coding.

If you're just going to use simple HTML or WYSIWYG editors (Frontpage was a popular choice for beginners years ago, perhaps Word has taken over that functionality since it no longer exists) then I'd probably suggest going to a Windows platform, if you intend to get into some advanced coding then Apache & PHP, CGI, Java is probably a better choice. I haven't done web coding in about 8-10 years but I used to run a few ... ahem, pay sites that paid some of my bills through school. I may be out of the loop for web-development.

Apache is also free and IIS should be installed on the professional versions of Windows workstation installations. 2003 Server etc will have IIS.

When I was doing it years ago I was heavily into ASP (Active Server Pages) so I usually used IIS. I do remember near the end of that particular job that Apache had a windows version that supported ASP (Windows [VB] scripting) and I used it for a client in Nevada.

If you are just starting to do web pages then I'd probably suggest sticking to a Windows platform & base language simply because of familiarity (MS Office always has a VB Editor). ASP/VB Script is much easier for a new-comer rather than Java, PHP, C++ (Building DLL's) etc.

Also realize some restrictions vary from provider to provider due to the servers they are using. Free providers used to have some funky restrictions, back then it was much nicer to be running your own box ... that may have changed over time as well.

That's my outdated opinion anyway. :)

scalerman
03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
thanks for the reply i have loaded joomla 1.5 but it it so large has room for lots of content and i dont have that much im looking for a simpler template to use

BFLPE
03-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Good site (http://php.opensourcecms.com/) with reviews and demos of a large variety of site mgmt. scripts.

scalerman
03-28-2010, 02:18 AM
nice site thanks for the link