PDA

View Full Version : ok vent here....Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazymamma
03-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Now I've done tons of work to my yard since we bought the house 2 years ago....what's peeving me off is the damnn neighbours cats...NO #^$&^%&%&*%$*$&* respect at all. They let their cats outside they crap and pee in my gardens killing my plants. Today I caught one digging in my front garden to take a crap....he got hosed down. I'm sick and tired of it...called humaine society and nothing they can do. I'm repacing plants that have been destroyed...but don't want them ruined. I'm not putting a veggie garden in at all this year since NONE of my stuff was edible because of the damn things!!!!!!!!!!! I love cats in fact just adopted one 2 months ago...but come on people...for those of you who let your cats out...think of the damage their causing to other people's yards etc....

So I need Ideas to deter them...I've tried critter ridder...cayan pepper...I'm out of ideas here!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Peety
03-27-2010, 01:28 PM
We have 3 wild cats around my place. the neighbours are feeding them. I set out a live trap.

Xzavia
03-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Thow some catnip seeds all over the neighbours yard. ;-)
(or whatever that plant is that cats like so much).

TheManInBlack
03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Now I've done tons of work to my yard since we bought the house 2 years ago....what's peeving me off is the damnn neighbours cats...NO #^$&^%&%&*%$*$&* respect at all. They let their cats outside they crap and pee in my gardens killing my plants. Today I caught one digging in my front garden to take a crap....he got hosed down. I'm sick and tired of it...called humaine society and nothing they can do. I'm repacing plants that have been destroyed...but don't want them ruined. I'm not putting a veggie garden in at all this year since NONE of my stuff was edible because of the damn things!!!!!!!!!!! I love cats in fact just adopted one 2 months ago...but come on people...for those of you who let your cats out...think of the damage their causing to other people's yards etc....

So I need Ideas to deter them...I've tried critter ridder...cayan pepper...I'm out of ideas here!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

get a free trap from the humane society and then bring them in. I'm sure the neibour wont do it again

crazymamma
03-27-2010, 02:02 PM
oh trap was an idea...but i have to pay for it!!!!!!!!!! I've put out enough money.....

b&aMom
03-27-2010, 02:18 PM
#1...make sure you don't have any plants in the mint family planted...they attract cats

#2...in beds, find a mulch they don't like. Maybe a shredded cedar one.

I had the same thing happening in my front yard...I ripped out all grass and put in perennials and shrubs. Until I had it all mulched, the cats would use it as a litter box. Why not, it was just loose dirt around plants. Mulched...stopped. In the backyard we put up a fence, and they haven't been near the veggie garden...which I don't mulch. Good luck, we have lots of outdoor cats around here, but they leave us alone now.

kitty&mimi
03-27-2010, 02:23 PM
you can borrow the traps from the HS

Bluesky
03-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Perhaps you can write a kind note to your neighbours, informing them of what their cats are doing. And that any cats venturing on your property will be taken to the humane society, and they will be responsible for any fees the HS would incur to release them.

steve
03-27-2010, 02:29 PM
heres how i got neighbors catsgardens..........i got some wire,put it around the garden,wiped some canned sardines on the wire with the scent,hooked it up to an extra 12vlt car battery and watched as the cats came to smell the wire and get jolted,just enough to let them know they dont want to be there...less then 2 weeks they never returned.

crazymamma
03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I've tried mulch...even replaced all the soil with new soil....trraps from humaine society cost 50.00 deposit...I'm not gonna let them get the best of me...there may be five of them...but i'm smarter. I'll get them sooner or later~ Fence is going up this summer...but I know it won't do much...they jump on the roofs to get the pigeons,....I have perenials...hostas chicken and hens..iris day lillies roses...they killed my bleeding hearts...and well my trilliums as well....i'm putting in two buses in my front with my ground cover...taking hostas out of there and putting them in the back...but I'm to the point I might use a neighbours Idea...put staples in peices of wood so that the points just poke through bury them shallowly, so when they step the get poked...not hurt but enough to say OUCH!

crazymamma
03-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Perhaps you can write a kind note to your neighbours, informing them of what their cats are doing. And that any cats venturing on your property will be taken to the humane society, and they will be responsible for any fees the HS would incur to release them.
TRIED THAT...NADDA. Humaine society has sent them numerous letters...but that's all they ever do. I think I called almost 1 a week last year...and they said all they can do is send a letter

mboy67
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Buying a trap to have forever is a small price to pay to eliminate the cost over the long run of letting the problem continue. Just trap them then drop them off at the HS problem solved.

lynys
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
The problem with most soils is they contain some sort of manure, which is probably what attracts them most.

Cats do not like the smell of citrus or spice. To stop my cats from digging in my household plants, I placed orange peels in the plants, and that kept them away. I used to wake up EVERY morning to a big potted plant tipped over and defecated in. After using both orange peels and chile peppers, it stopped. Forever.

Bill Nash
03-27-2010, 05:52 PM
A slingshot might help, .... use frozen peas, .... won't harm the cat.

bluekrissyspikes
03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
i think you get the deposit back if you borrow a trap. it's just to make sure people don't steal the traps, so it doesn't actually cost 50 bucks, it costs nothing. you lend them the money, they lend you the trap, then you trade back and you are minus the cats for free.

kitca
03-27-2010, 10:39 PM
you can put some cut up old rose stems around your plants. they pick the cats feet and act as a deterrent. they are just doing what comes naturally to them, all that soil looks so good! the catnip was a great idea, put it, or better yet, plant it over on your neighbours property.

GRUMPY
03-27-2010, 11:18 PM
I'd just ask around and see if anyone you know has a trap if not get one the cheapest way you can and once you have the cat dye it a bright purple or a florescent green and then let it go there is a chance that it won't be back.

Super Gram
03-28-2010, 12:01 AM
If you trap them and take them to the Humane Society.....it costs lots to get them back....you might get rid of them forever.My cat don 't go outside......people don't think much of their cats if they let them run loose.

nightingale
03-28-2010, 12:23 AM
oh Grumpy, you make me laugh! I love that idea!

GoldDogs
03-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Get a dog!

dancingqueen
03-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Get a dog!

best idea yet ;)
or fork out the initial cost of a trap and return the cat and trap. like it was mentioned before, the initial cost that you get back will be cheaper than replacing the plants and the effort in cleaning your garden out. Plus, I would expect the owners will get the message when they have to bail them out... although, I pictured Grumpy's idea and couldn't help lol'ing.

gouligann
03-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I love Grumpy's idea too. Catch the cats, spray them, take them to the HS and I think that should do the trick. Expensive to get them back, and not the same colour as when they went out that morning. Love it!

BAILEYDOG
03-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Ok anyone have any idea's on how to keep my cat from going outside? I really don't like it that he goes out but he is an escape artist and bolts for the door whenever he can. We lost our last cat (the one who taught this one the wonders of the great outdoors) to a coyote (we think) and try keeping him inside. I've sprayed him, smacked him, hit him with the door nothing deters him. He is neutered so that is not the issue. With two small kids and two dogs going in and out he has ample opportunity to get out.

dancingqueen
03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
hmmm, touche....

official soonet pu$$ycat
03-28-2010, 07:30 PM
I find it outrageous and disrespectful that you are planting flowers in our toilets. How would you like it if I came in your bathroom and planted some strawberries in your bathtub? You would probably tell me to scram. Well lady, SCRAM!!!!

NewCasa
03-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I find it outrageous and disrespectful that you are planting flowers in our toilets. How would you like it if I came in your bathroom and planted some strawberries in your bathtub? You would probably tell me to scram. Well lady, SCRAM!!!!

Just thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.sootoday.com/content/classifieds/details.asp?ad=730231

Evil Monkey
03-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Just thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.sootoday.com/content/classifieds/details.asp?ad=730231

As a Monkey I would have to say buying a used litter box is just as bad as buying an old crappy human toilet off the Sootoday classifieds....:sbad:

Or this one on usedsoo http://www.usedsoo.com/classified-ad/11616236

NewCasa
03-28-2010, 08:29 PM
As a Monkey I would have to say buying a used litter box is just as bad as buying an old crappy human toilet off the Sootoday classifieds....:sbad:

You know, that's a really good point. I always wonder at those ads. Sorry Doc's.

dancingqueen
03-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Naw, he'll get that for the Doc to use

official soonet pu$$ycat
03-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Naw, he'll get that for the Doc to use

LOL you and I think a lot alike. Except on important issues.

Giggle Squirt
03-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Ok anyone have any idea's on how to keep my cat from going outside? I really don't like it that he goes out but he is an escape artist and bolts for the door whenever he can. We lost our last cat (the one who taught this one the wonders of the great outdoors) to a coyote (we think) and try keeping him inside. I've sprayed him, smacked him, hit him with the door nothing deters him. He is neutered so that is not the issue. With two small kids and two dogs going in and out he has ample opportunity to get out.

We had a cat who tried to excape every time the door opened. One day she tried to get out tripped my toddler who fell on her. She never went near the door again.

bluekrissyspikes
03-29-2010, 12:25 AM
tell your kids not to let the cat out or you'll spank their bum. you'll be surprised how careful they are.......

NewCasa
03-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Tie a string to the tail and tie the other end to something immovable in the house, like a bannister. Then get out the video camera.

BAILEYDOG
03-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Bluekrissyspikes they try really hard so that won't help, he runs through the dogs legs if he has to and he gets out on me as much as on them. He has actually had his head slammed in the door (pretty hard and not on purpose) and he still bolts. On a side note we have no mice or other rodents around our place as he kills them all and brings them back to feast on.

dancingqueen
03-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Tie a string to the tail and tie the other end to something immovable in the house, like a bannister. Then get out the video camera.

hahahaha
wonderful!

dancingqueen
03-29-2010, 02:04 AM
LOL you and I think a lot alike. Except on important issues.

right, those are the issues I'm right on :smile:

Peety
03-29-2010, 09:22 AM

What about planting flowers in it?