PDA

View Full Version : i killed my plants...

kitca
03-28-2010, 01:42 PM
i brought in some containers last year and nursed them through the whole winter. it was so nice and warm that i put them outside then, the frost got them. what a shame. they were wonderful unique succulents that i got out of town and brought.

Peety
03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Awee .. I lost all my dailias. I hate when stuff like that happens.

GRUMPY
03-28-2010, 01:54 PM
sorry but please check the calender.

Peety
03-28-2010, 01:55 PM
sorry but please check the calender.

Mine was in the fall.

kitca
03-28-2010, 02:34 PM
i know, its my own damn fault! im just mad at myself. they were so cool.

GRUMPY
03-28-2010, 09:22 PM
they were so cool.

they were so cool it killed them. think on the bright side (if there is one), now you can get some different plants. however your front garden was a knockout last year.

Giggle Squirt
03-28-2010, 10:18 PM
When should we drop plants in?

kitca
03-28-2010, 11:10 PM
what do you mean giggle? my plants were cold hardy, but they were not accustomed to the cold, they needed to be taken out for short periods of time to get used to the cold afer being in the warm house all fall and winter.

there are some seeds that can be planted early, like sweet peas and assylum and hmm,. im trying to remember the ones that are frost hardy. there are no plants that can be put in now, its just too early. (that i know of anyway).

the 'rule' is, or used to be, the first full moon after june 1st. but i know we have been ahead of that in the last few years.

i tried planting a few spinich seeds today and see what happens. they are a cold weather crop, meaning they do best in the cold weather and not in the heat. it may just be too cold, but ill see what happens.

bluekrissyspikes
03-28-2010, 11:30 PM
i started some tomato plants a couple weeks ago. they are doing good but they aren't outside.

kitca
03-29-2010, 08:50 AM
thanks grumpy. i have a very 'cottageeeee style'

what kind of tomato plants did you start?

Giggle Squirt
03-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Well not meaning to hijack the thread but I have a very bad habbit of killing anything with leaves on it. I want to plant a nice big garden in my front yard but I have no idea when I should put the plants in the ground or what plants can handle a beating. I also want to start a garden with veggies and stuff but I also have no idea how to do that either.

bluekrissyspikes
03-29-2010, 11:23 PM
not sure what kind of tomatos they are...got the seeds at dollarama last year and didn't end up growing them

kitca
03-30-2010, 05:08 PM
giggle, start reading and experimenting. look for stuff you can get for free or cheap. there are always folks willing to pass along plants. lots of good books at the library, or even here on the internet.

Anapeg
03-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I was always told to plant after the May 24 weekend, does that still hold water?

kitca
03-30-2010, 09:37 PM
i think it depends on what you are planting. cold hardy annuals like sweet peas can be planted as soon as there is a patch of earth. i have sown seeds outside like alysm, godetia, sweet william, those annuals that self seed. but if you are buying from the nursery and putting the plants in then you should definatly wait. maybe the may 24 weekend is now acceptable - but it was always after the full moon in june. (in the soo we can go by when the plants at mcdonalds go in)