PDA

View Full Version : random shut downs

dancingqueen
04-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey, I'm having a problem where my computer will randomly shut down, no error, it just acts as if I just told it to shut down. Seems to mostly happen when I am playing wow.
Fan seems to be running fine, but I opened my comp and have a fan on it cause it seems warmer than usual. formated the computer, no viruses, and changed my power settings to not shut down. I'm really not sure what to do next other than a hardware test... any other ideas?
I use AVG for virus/spyware. Vista home premium, and no other computers on the network are having this problem.

axalon2003
04-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Try checking your Event Viewer. It may help give you a clue as to what's going on.

dancingqueen
04-09-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure how to read this, can you give me any ideas what I might be looking for?
Thanks for the advice.

Trollic
04-09-2010, 07:54 AM
try a different power supply for your pc

check for expanded capacitors on the motherboard especially around the cpu/fan

put new heatsink compound on the cpu - if all else fails

also maybe one of the other cards in the pc if any is causing the issue remove all that is unnecessary

and run the machine

i would try a power supply first

Upper Decker
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM
check your heatsink unit first. Overheating due to that assembly getting royally mucked with crap in the air is the leading cause of that problem.

axalon2003
04-09-2010, 12:08 PM
When you're in the Event Viewer, look for entries that coincide with the time of your computers shut down. Review the entries for anything out of the ordinary that would cause your computer to shut down.

NewCasa
04-09-2010, 12:21 PM
This happened to me a while ago on another computer. Turned out the fan on the graphics card was dead. I've found it's usually a cooling issue. If the system works good for the first 10 minutes or so then starts cutting out it's most likely cooling. Fudd's right - check your heat sinks as well - they'll often get all gummed up with dust. Get yourself a can of compressed air and just blow it all out.

Your system likely has at least 5 fans - one on the front to draw air in, one on the back to expel warm air, one on the CPU and one on the graphics card. Take the side off and check all these to make sure they're running when the system is on. There's one more fan inside the power supply. Just put your hand behind the back of the case where the psu is located and you'll be able to feel the air flow from that one if it's running ok.

Even if cooling isn't the problem it's a good idea to clean out the dust once a year or so, otherwise parts will begin to wear out from excessive heat.

Scoff
04-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Definitely sounds like something is over-heating. (GPU or CPU heatsinks)

dancingqueen
04-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I forgot to mention, I have sprayed the inside with compressed air, there was a lot of dust, but it still keeps happening... and only when I play WoW.... If it's hardware, I'm prolly just gonna get a new computer, this thing is like 4 or 5 years old :confused: I'm about due for another computer :smile: especially since I have a job now and can actually pay for it :teeth:

dancingqueen
04-09-2010, 03:25 PM
oh, and there appears to be only one card in there, the video, and that fan is running fine it looks like.
will have to check the event manager next time I log on and check what happened at that time

Scoff
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I forgot to mention, I have sprayed the inside with compressed air, there was a lot of dust, but it still keeps happening... and only when I play WoW.... If it's hardware, I'm prolly just gonna get a new computer, this thing is like 4 or 5 years old :confused: I'm about due for another computer :smile: especially since I have a job now and can actually pay for it :teeth:

Thank God WoW still has them old nasty graphics ... the older machines still do ok. ;)

Aion whispers your name ... (when you get a new machine)

Hans
04-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Shutdown, or restart by itself?

dancingqueen
04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Shuts down.

NewCasa
04-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Shuts down.

There you go. Quit putting your drink down on the off button.

axalon2003
04-11-2010, 10:15 PM
There you go. Quit putting your drink down on the off button.

I'm sure he knows enough to use the built in cup holder, so he doesn't accidentally shut it down.

NewCasa
04-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm sure he knows enough to use the built in cup holder, so he doesn't accidentally shut it down.

LMAO! That reminds me of a helpdesk call I heard about once :)

axalon2003
04-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I've had those support calls.....You have no idea how hard was to handle those calls without laughing in their faces.

Anyway...Back to the matter at hand..
You may want to reseat your heatsink, DQ. A fresh application paste could fix up your issue. A hotspot on your cpu can cause it to shut down. Also, when you're playing WOW, check the fan on your video card to see if it's running at speed. The fan may be failing, and run fine when the card isn't working hard, but not able to spin up to cool the card when it starts to work harder.

dancingqueen
04-12-2010, 08:29 AM
How do I go about re-seating my heatsink?
Fan seems to run fine when I play, no apparent changes in how it is working

axalon2003
04-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Taking off the cooling fan and heatsink from your cpu is fairly easy. Generally there are 2 levers that release the fan/heatsink from the motherboard. Once they are off, clean off the top of the processor chip, and the base of the heatsink with rubbing alcohol to get the old thermal paste off of them. Then put a bit of new thermal compound on top of the cpu, put your fan on hte top, and then lock down the fan assembly again. The coupound will spread out on the cpu evenly and ensure you have good contact with the heatsink.

NewCasa
04-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Just make sure you've got a tube of Arctic Silver!