PDA

View Full Version : options for cooking fish besides frying

Melanie Booker
04-13-2010, 04:39 PM
my husband brought home some beautiful bright orange fish yesterday, not sure what it is but it looks so good!
i don't want to fry it. how do you do yours in the oven?
i'm thinkig just spray a piece of tin foil with Pam and adding some slices of lemon or something. not sure what else i can do with it.

Melanie Booker
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
they were specs. and they were delish!
i did them in the oven with lemon juice and crushed garlic. i always pan fry so i was looking for something different, but i think i like pan fry better.

ssmarie
04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
fish crisp - cheapest at Superior Bakery

yoda
04-14-2010, 11:07 PM
as unhealthy as I know it is, my favourite way to cook fish is to fry it. dipped in milk, with a light dusting of flour with some spices

Melanie Booker
04-15-2010, 09:50 AM
shake and bake is our fave fish coating. but when i'm all out i use spiced up flour. it's good too.

NewCasa
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
My favourite way is planked. Lots of recipes for planked fish. You get cedar planks for the purpose at Romes' fish counter or just lying around. Fill the sink with water, put the planks in and weigh them down with some beer bottles. Leave them in overnight and they'll be good to go when you're ready for them. Great way to cook fish.

Melanie Booker
04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
the only problem with that is that all the beer bottles at my house are empty! lol

what is the benefit of the plank? i assume the cedar would give the fish flavour?

NewCasa
04-15-2010, 04:05 PM
the only problem with that is that all the beer bottles at my house are empty! lol

what is the benefit of the plank? i assume the cedar would give the fish flavour?

Yes, the cedar adds a mellow, smoky flavour to the fish. Works best on fattier types of fish like salmon. One simple recipe is to rub a mixture of dill and brown sugar into the fish before you cook it. Very simple, but very good.

gouligann
05-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Our favorite for good firm fish fillets is Labatts beer batter.