PDA

View Full Version : Senators fight airlines over carry-on baggage fees

Hans
04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Senate Democrats are taking aim at carry-on baggage fees after Spirit Airlines became the first U.S. carrier to propose charging passengers to store luggage in overhead bins.

On Wednesday, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., introduced a bill that would amend the tax code to eliminate a loophole that he and four other Senators say allows airlines to avoid taxes on certain fees.

"This latest fee crosses the line and is a slap in the face to travelers," Schumer said in a statement. "Our legislation will rein in the airlines and keep air travelers from being gouged every time they board a plane."

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/14/news/economy/Senators_target_airline_fees/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

R W G R
04-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Senate Democrats are taking aim at carry-on baggage fees after Spirit Airlines became the first U.S. carrier to propose charging passengers to store luggage in overhead bins.

On Wednesday, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., introduced a bill that would amend the tax code to eliminate a loophole that he and four other Senators say allows airlines to avoid taxes on certain fees.

"This latest fee crosses the line and is a slap in the face to travelers," Schumer said in a statement. "Our legislation will rein in the airlines and keep air travelers from being gouged every time they board a plane."

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/14/news/economy/Senators_target_airline_fees/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

You go, Democrats!!

$45 for carry-on luggage is outrageous!!!!

$1,000,000,000,000 for a lousy healthcare plan, drop in the bucket.

Ladies and gentlemen, reason #441 why the Dems will be slaughtered this coming November. :)

Blue Lotus Rising
04-14-2010, 05:15 PM
You go, Democrats!!

Ladies and gentlemen, reason #441 why the Dems will be slaughtered this coming November. :)

I'm very much looking forward to you listing all the reasons in the next few months :)

R W G R
04-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm very much looking forward to you listing all the reasons in the next few months :)

With Chuckie Schumer and the boys tackling all the big issues, like carry-on prices, you need look no further than your evening news. :)

Blue Lotus Rising
04-14-2010, 05:22 PM
With Chuckie Schumer and the boys tackling all the big issues, like carry-on prices, you need look no further than your evening news. :)

I suppose Fox Rochester does cover Schumer. Good thing Shaw carries my home town channel.

R W G R
04-14-2010, 05:23 PM
I suppose Fox Rochester does cover Schumer. Good thing Shaw carries my home town channel.

Yes, we'd hate to see you actually get two sides of the story.

How horrible!

Blue Lotus Rising
04-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, we'd hate to see you actually get two sides of the story.

How horrible!

Fox Rochester is my home town channel. Do try to keep up.

R W G R
04-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Fox Rochester is my home town channel. Do try to keep up.

You moved from Rochester, NY to Soo, Ontario.

Do you have some kind of dysfunctional attraction to dying industrial cities?

Blue Lotus Rising
04-14-2010, 05:34 PM
You moved from Rochester, NY to Soo, Ontario.

Yeppers. Just think, if I'd never moved, I would never have had the pleasure of conversing with you. Thank God for small miracles.

R W G R
04-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeppers. Just think, if I'd never moved, I would never have had the pleasure of conversing with you. .

That's true, because we know that, while the Internet is powerful, it certainly isn't powerful enough, yet, to let someone from Rochester converse on the Internet with someone from the Soo.

Someday, maybe.

Someday.

Blue Lotus Rising
04-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I never would have talked to you had I not moved.

R W G R
04-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I never would have talked to you had I not moved.

Right, because we know it is impossible for someone way over in Rochester to get on Soonet.

Blue Lotus Rising
04-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Right, because we know it is impossible for someone way over in Rochester to get on Soonet.

It is fairly unlikely for anyone from Rochester to stumble upon this BBS.

R W G R
04-14-2010, 05:49 PM
It is fairly unlikely for anyone from Rochester to stumble upon this BBS.

Right, because we know no one in Rochester has yet discovered the Soo, and until someone invents a search engine, it looks like we're limited in where we can go on the Internet.

Blue Lotus Rising
04-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Right, because we know no one in Rochester has yet discovered the Soo, and until someone invents a search engine, it looks like we're limited in where we can go on the Internet.

I never would have talked to you had I not moved. And it's times like this that I thank my lucky stars that I did.

R W G R
04-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I never would have talked to you had I not moved. And it's times like this that I thank my lucky stars that I did.

I may not be able to distort things as well as the Huffington Post, but I'm glad you still enjoy my company. :)

Scoff
04-15-2010, 10:47 AM
That's true, because we know that, while the Internet is powerful, it certainly isn't powerful enough, yet, to let someone from Rochester converse on the Internet with someone from the Soo.

Someday, maybe.

Someday.

If he didn't move from NY why would he bother visiting a Soo Ontario site? What would attract him to a "Soo" site other than being from the area originally or moving to the area?

Do try to keep up please.

Blue Lotus Rising
04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
If he didn't move from NY why would he bother visiting a Soo Ontario site? What would attract him to a "Soo" site other than being from the area originally or moving to the area?

Do try to keep up please.

I'm a she.

dancingqueen
04-15-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm a she.

Clearly, you need to have a sex change :wink:

Blue Lotus Rising
04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Clearly, you need to have a sex change :wink:

You first! :tongue: