PDA

View Full Version : Audio Device Drivers not found...help!

Tutones
04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Not sure if anyone here can answer my question, but I thought I'd give it a shot...

I've just recently installed new audio recording software on my laptop. I do not have any audio problems with the computer in general but when I open an audio file in Sonar I cannot hear any audio playback, nor can I record using my line in. The program is basically telling me that it can't recognize my audio device due to a lack of audio drivers.

Is there a way that I can download the audio drivers I need? My sound card is a Realtek high definition audio card.

8th
04-16-2010, 05:13 AM
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=realtek+high+definition+audio+drivers&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows%2CWebware&filter=platform%3DWindows%2CWebware

Tutones
04-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks, I updated the drivers but still no sound. The error message I get states

"No audio devices for the driver model on your system" Is this going to mean buying a new soundcard that the program will recognize or is there a way I can get it to recognize mine? I am afraid this may be a Sonar specific issue...?

Scoff
04-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Not sure if anyone here can answer my question, but I thought I'd give it a shot...

I've just recently installed new audio recording software on my laptop. I do not have any audio problems with the computer in general but when I open an audio file in Sonar I cannot hear any audio playback, nor can I record using my line in. The program is basically telling me that it can't recognize my audio device due to a lack of audio drivers.

Is there a way that I can download the audio drivers I need? My sound card is a Realtek high definition audio card.

Tutones: I used to run into the same issue with Sonar and the exact same card when I tried playback when my Tascam units were not hooked up.

In Sonar:
Go to Audio Options --> I forget the name of the option off-hand but you're looking for the drop down that has "ASIO", "MME" etc ... the card you have needs to be on "MME" (44khz) in order to identify and hear playback. When I go home I'll look on my recording machine again to verify. I believe those high def cards will work at 96k but you end up getting some "stutter" from the hardware if I remember correctly. At 44khz I believe the delay is shortened as well between the hardware input and the sound drivers.

But ya, I don't get playback either from the Realtek HD Audio unless I'm on MME. Playback through my Tascam units require ASIO.

Note: I've only used the audio device you have for playback, Tascam and MOTU units have handled the input.

I've been using Sonar since version 6 (Producer Editions).

Upper Decker
04-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Dixie is right, the issue you might have is your software isnt cooperating with digital sound (most modern laptops now run digital sound out of the box) so you would have to set it to an analog sound vs digital. External USB sound cards for laptops can be pricey. Best bet is to get a custom built pc with a good sound card if this is something you do frequently.

Scoff
04-16-2010, 10:25 AM
If you want a GREAT interface at an amazing price check out the Tascam US-1641. 16 seperate inputs (8 XLR/8 1/4 inch) and the price is only about $250 US. I replaced 2 MOTU units ($900+ each) with one 1641 and the results are even better.

http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html

Scoff
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Options --> Audio --> Advanced

Driver Mode: MME (32 bit) (my platform is x64 so yours may or may not say "32 bit")

If MME doesn't work then try "WDM/KS"

Check your "Driver Profile" tabs after to make sure it has drivers for the mode.

General Tab: Sampling Rate: 44100

Tutones
04-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks Dixie... I figured it out on my own but it was exactly what you said. I am just used to always using ASIO drivers so never thought to look there until I got REALLY frustrated... I do need a new soundcard, though.

The Tascam looks pretty good, but it is way more than I need. A small mixer with just one or two inputs will do. So far I have only been using this computer for playback and not for recording. Think I may need a "real" computer for that (ie desktop)

Upper Decker
04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
That audio stuff is confusing. I had someone get me to build them a pc for it tailored for Sony vegas 7 and Qbase i think it was called. He then wanted me to get it all setup for him and installed, I was totally lost with it all .

Scoff
04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
It is confusing ... I have a couple friends doing this right now and they're full of questions. The same learning curve we all go through when getting into this stuff but it sure is fun as hell learning it all! :)

Glad you figured that out on your own Tutones ... have fun! If you're looking for any other recording/mastering software etc, just let me know.

Cubase 4 ... not a bad little DAW, I used that before I got into Sonar. Ideally I'd like to ditch my PC/Sonar and go with a Mac/ProTools or at least a Mac & Logic until I get the ProTools hardware/software.

Tascam has 1 & 2 input interfaces, I had an old tascam with 4 inputs but that was around $200 anyway, even their 1 channel (US-122 iirc) was $150.00 ... $100 more for a lot more options in the 1641. Been a couple years since I looked at interfaces now though.