PDA

View Full Version : Dualbooting

Oscar_Leroy
04-27-2010, 09:40 PM
I ran into a bit of a problem with setting up a dual-boot and have tried several things with no luck.

Right now on my PC I have Vista and wanted to set up a Dual boot with XP. I have the partitions set up and both versions of windows installed but they system will only boot into Windows XP. I have also looked at the boot.ini file and noticed that XP is the only operating system listed. I wanted to add Vista and have tried to do so with no luck.

I want to install Ubuntu on top of it one I get another hard drive in the PC, so would I be better off just doing that now and using GRUB to boot? I have set up a dual-boot with Vista and Ubuntu before without issues so I have no idea what I did wrong this time.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Upper Decker
04-27-2010, 11:15 PM
GRUB or LILO is the route I would go myself. Windows bootstrap sucks balls lol. As for your problem I think you would have to reset your MBR with vista then add XP to it later on. And the vista repair console is sure fun to use lol.

8th
04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_wi th_screenshots.htm?page=5

Hans
04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
The order of install has to be xp-vista-linux, and use grub in MBR as final boot loader. Each OS should be installed in it's own primary partition.
If you do a lot of dual booting I would suggest using a thrid party boot manager. I find the Paragon Boot manager to work the best, with full support for Windows 7 and higher.
With a boot manager you don't have to follow the order of installation, and it's easier to manage multiple installations of the same OS etc...