PDA

View Full Version : Greatest hockey player of all time coming to the soo

GRUMPY
05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=46196

Striker
05-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Definitley one of the best players ever. I, like most, would liked to have seen his career not ended prematurely because of injuries.

Strife
05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Although he was a great player, I dont think he is THE greatest of all time. Maurice Richard, Wayne Gretzkey, and even Johnny Bower can make a running for that title.

GRUMPY
05-03-2010, 04:31 PM
You see that is the thing about it, it is totally impossible to say who was the greatest of all time. You might be able to argue about who was the best at a certain point in the history of the game but as soon as you start comparing players who never played against each other in there prime it is all guess work. The three you mentioned could be considered by some to be the greatest of all time. But then again how do you compare a goalie with a forward or a defenseman or vice versa?

Oscar_Leroy
05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I agree, the title of best of all time is subjective. You could easily make a strong case for Orr though. I've seen a few clips of him play and he looked amazing.

Strife
05-03-2010, 05:50 PM
You see that is the thing about it, it is totally impossible to say who was the greatest of all time. You might be able to argue about who was the best at a certain point in the history of the game but as soon as you start comparing players who never played against each other in there prime it is all guess work. The three you mentioned could be considered by some to be the greatest of all time. But then again how do you compare a goalie with a forward or a defenseman or vice versa?

You have a point. You can compare a goalie to a skater in the aspect of what impact did they have on their team. Was the goalie as detrimental to the team for stopping pucks as the skater is detrimental for scoring goals?

R W G R
05-05-2010, 06:11 PM
The reason I was #4 when playing hockey as a kid.

Bobby Orr changed the game more than any other player, because he added an offensive element to the position of defense.

official soonet pu$$ycat
05-06-2010, 12:07 AM
It is very subjective. Are we judging individual natural talent or are we talking team play? You look at someone like Stevie Y and he probably won't be in a top 100 list for individual talent. As a team player and leader, he is in my top 10. ***See 2002 when he led a team to the Stanley Cup with no knee. Alex Ovechkin will probably go down as a top 10 player for individual talent, near the top for the expansion era. In my books not even in the top 100 for a leader and it is my guess he will never win a cup.

italiandomino
05-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Although he was a great player, I dont think he is THE greatest of all time. Maurice Richard, Wayne Gretzkey, and even Johnny Bower can make a running for that title.

the thing about being a LEafs fan is simple. you dont know anything about hockey lol

Oscar_Leroy
05-06-2010, 09:22 AM
the thing about being a LEafs fan is simple. you dont know anything about hockey lol

We know plenty about hockey.. Just nothing about winning...

Coach
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Helmut Balderis is coming to the Sault??? WOW...