PDA

View Full Version : Nikon, is it just me not

icecapp
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Looking in the right place,

I am looking at a different lens :wink: and I was or am willing to purchase a good used one, I know how I love my camera, so Im sure anyone else with a passion of such takes care of there stuff also..

We have spent Quiet abit on my passion since christmas, so I was thinking of trying to find what I want in a used lens.. not real expensive to begin with, with what I want..

BUT is there any good places in this city to find good Used NIKON equipment? I will also be looking at a flash Im sure soon enough..

I took a course at the college both that were offered this winter, and well.. As of right know I dont see a need for a flash, BUT I have a liking for lenses. :embarassed:

I think I have googled fourms what not for our city,

:zip: Most or anyone I know with a SLR has Cannon... BUT I LOVE MY NIKON...

LOL help any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

NewCasa
05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Since Camera Craft got out of used stuff there's really not much. My suggestion is to check out Henry's online:

http://www.henrys.ca/

icecapp
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks new casa,

The lens I am looking at is really not much cheaper on there by the time you get shipping etc... I TRYED to get my husband to stop when we were in sudbury but with 3 kids under 8 in a camera store is not a good combination lol...

verotik66
05-13-2010, 11:23 PM
i buy alot from vistek.ca in ottawa

cybolynx
05-14-2010, 02:39 PM
another nikon fan woot woot :) ... im kinda stuck on nikon myself ... due to the fact that they are durable :)

icecapp
05-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Dont know what it is , but I had a choice when he went to buy me the DSLR for christmas, and i just really did not like the light feeling of the cannon..

But if anyone knows of any good fourms and wants to share for photography chat it would be great..

I GOT my new lens today for my BD on sunday..

botoole
05-15-2010, 12:12 AM
There is a Sault Ste. Marie forum photography forum found at http://saultphotography.forumotion.com/index.htm, but to be quite honest, it is very quiet and seems to be getting spammed quite a bit lately. The number of people joining the Flickr Sault Ste. Marie group is slowing growing, and getting more active with questions, so you may want to take a look. Flickr is free to join, and is a great site for sharing your photos. You can also upgrade to a Pro account, which may or may not be of interest.

I purchased the Nikon D80 a few years ago mostly because of the way if felt in my hands. The comparable Canon XT at the time just wasn't comfortable for me, and the larger 20D was out of my price range. Both were of interest, as both had great features, but Nikon won the battle for me. Wouldn't say I'm a hardcore Nikon fan, but I've been quite happy with the camera, lenses and accessories so far. Definitely hard to make any kind of switch once you start investing in higher-end equipment.

Which lens did you get? It always an exciting time getting new toys! I just bought a used Nikon Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 VRI lens about 2 weeks ago, and having an absolute blast with it.

icecapp
05-15-2010, 04:49 AM
I am just starting out.. I have a entry level slr, which in all honesty and Im am just astounded by.. its a d3000, I almost purchased the 5000 but to me, to spend the extra for two more mega pixel, which I very rarely blow anything up, over a 8x10 , and a video mode and to look though a lcd screen to me was pointless, If I spend that kind of money on a TOY, for taking pictures I want to be looking through a view finder and not a LCD screen and the video mode was pointless as i would just use my Point and shoot,

as I watch more and more you tube videos, I am just amazed at what my D3000 does in comparsion with bigger Nikons, Untill I know this camara like the back of my hand and can move things around with no guessing, there is no need for bigger as of right now...

some people laugh as its a D3000, But I by no means am embarressed to say thats what I have, I love it like my child lol..

as for lenses, I have kit lens.

AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G VR
Then I purchased,
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR

Then For my BD I just wanted this simple lens, The lenses works great with the D3000 Minus the auto focus feature does not work with the D3000
AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Then I have a few attachment lenses, that work like filters I purchased off ebay... In all honesty kinda a waste of money as I dont use them all that much..

Like I said Im still learning, starting out..

The last lense purchase was a itsy bitsy one, but what I liked was the f/1.8.... for 180 buxs with taxes lol I had to have it. :shade:

I am looking at one more cant seem to find it here in town, but its only 200, and its one of them things I really dont need lol but want. haha..

NewCasa
05-15-2010, 08:47 AM
If you guys are just starting out another fun bunch of toys is the Cokin filter system. They're not terribly expensive but the results are often quite dramatic:

http://www.cokin.fr/

icecapp
05-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Blush, New casa I have filter system, but not that name brand..

I have also bought two wirlesless remotes, I have two tripods etc... LMAO.. EBAY is my friend.

Btoole, I think is beyond starting out.. HIS pics are amazing....

NewCasa
05-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Blush, New casa I have filter system, but not that name brand..

I have also bought two wirlesless remotes, I have two tripods etc... LMAO.. EBAY is my friend.

Btoole, I think is beyond starting out.. HIS pics are amazing....

Wow - you've got all the toys! I mentioned Cokin specifically because I find they have many filters that others don't. It's quite a different system from most others. You get filter holders and the filters are square and drop into the holders.

icecapp
05-15-2010, 10:37 AM
i would not say i have all the toys but I am not lacking..

This has been a long time passion of mine, and finally we were able to fill it.. kinda went a little wild after christmas on ebay...

I dont own a flash, other then the one on the camera, But I am finding after taking my course with Gene Santoro. I dont use the flash for anything.. and yet prior to the class i used it all the time..

the stuff i learned is amazing, he is an excellent teacher and great to answer any ?s day and night if he taught you..

NewCasa
05-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes, Gene's a very good teacher - I agree. Flash can be quite useful ;)

kitca
05-17-2010, 09:30 AM
my hubby just bought me the d5000 for my birthday and im loving it. i am finding so much out from watching youtube videos, but there is so much to these cameras. what course did you take with Gene Santoro.? i think i would be interested in something like that. all the courses i have taken are in the past and i need to learn more. i am a much better handson learner.

a hundred years ago i had a regualr nikon with several lenses, and the conkin filter system too. i loved all those cool things you could do. but now i find i can do even better with psp afterward, though i guess that is not pure.

i am so excited to do hdr photos. havent yet, i guess i have to buy photomatix to do it. i think those photos are just incredible to look at. has anyone on here done much of that?

NewCasa
05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Gene teaches photography in the evenings at Sault College.