PDA

View Full Version : network connection problem

dreid01
07-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I sold my laptop to a guy at work. I re-installed windows for him, and had it running fine on my wireless network at home. He is able to connect to his wireless network, but he can't connect to the internet or see his other computer on the network. There's not much I can do without the laptop here with me. Any suggestions on what to tell him?

binky
07-29-2007, 09:14 AM
does his other computer have xp on it? How do you mean he can connect to his wireless network and yet cant see the other computer or use internet, to me that IS the network?

hemi_69
07-29-2007, 11:32 AM
sounds to me like it's just detecting the network not connecting to it, is there a password or encryption key for the router? any other computers on wireless on his network?

dreid01
07-30-2007, 07:57 PM
He's able to connect to his wireless router (yes, there's a key), and the other computer is connected with a network cable. Once he's connected to the router (no problem there) he'll open up a browser and nothing will load. Could there maybe be a firewall blocking him or something?

hemi_69
07-30-2007, 10:33 PM
what operating system on the laptop?

tired-n-cranky
07-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Can he ping his router? If not, he isn't connected. Have him check to see if he even has a valid IP address.

dreid01
07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
XP home on the laptop. I told him to ping it before, but he hasn't got back to me yet. I'll check again with him. I'll find out about the IP too. thanks.

hemi_69
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
if you arent sure he can ping it or about the IP adress how can you be sure he is able to connect to the wireless router /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

dreid01
08-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I guess I'm going on his word on all of this. He said he can type in his key, and it pops up in the system tray "connect to ____"..

403_forbidden
08-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Can he connect to the Internet with his other computer connected by the network cable? If he can with the wired PC and not with the wireless laptop, he isn't getting the proper addressing from the DHCP server in the router. Maybe he is still holding onto the IP addressing from your router and the wireless NIC hasn't released those IP settings when he tries to connect to his router. I would get him to do an IPConfig /release and than an IPConfig /renew at the command prompt.....what make and model of home router is he using?

08-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Unplug the router, plug it back in and restart both computers. If not FORMAT EVERYTHING! j/k