PDA

View Full Version : Monitor help

Bluesky
05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I have tried everything. I have two monitors on my desktop. I am working away and suddenly, one after the other goes blank, the error message "no signal" shows.

I have double checked the cables where they connect; they are tight. I have the settings set to nOT go to sleep.

Yet they still shut down, and there is nothing I can do to wake them. I ahve to hard reboot every time, and I have lost some work over this.

Suggestions? WHat am I missing?

Hans
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Video card trouble? Tried them on a different pc?

SSMP
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Hans is right, "no signal" usually means that there is no output from the video card. The fact that the monitors can display "no signal" means that the monitors are working.
I am going to assume because you are using two monitors that you have a descete video card, so try plugging one of the monitors into your motherboard video out, this may get you to the point where you can troubleshoot the video card.

You could also try to clean out your computer case, the video card may be overheating. The heat lately can cause overheating problems that didn't show up when the weather was cooler.
Ensure all fans are clean, clear and working.
You can try to vacuum the case out, but if you get a couple of cans of air( you can get one at any computer store, or The source or even Canadian tire) and take your computer outside ( clean up is much easier then) and blow the fans, especially on the video card and the microprocessor, until they are clean.
As a quick test you could also open up your case and blow the cold air from a can onto your video card processor and see if it starts working again. This may let you know if it is a heat problem. But while you have the case open do the cleaning.

Bluesky
05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Well, I don't know if the vid card is overheating. But it is a lesson learned. I bought the cheapest card I could find. And I lost the receipt! Grrr.

I disconnected the monitor hooked up to the new card and the other monitor stays on just fine.

So it is the new card that is causing both to shut down.

Or.. I wonder if there is a conflict? I don't ahve the new card supporting both monitors. I have the integrated video supporting the one, and the 2nd card supporting the 2nd one..

Bluesky
05-31-2010, 06:18 AM
I now have both monitors running off of the same card. Problem solved.

Bluesky
06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Actually the problem re-occurred. Removed said video card, returned it and bought the next higher model. I hope that solves the problem.