PDA

View Full Version : Insane Computer Temperature

DeleteAccout
05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
I've been out of the computer world for some time now, but I still think that this is a rather high temperature reading. It's not a malfunctioning diode because my laptop is friggen HOT

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/TormentedSoulz/Game%20Stuff/Untitled.jpg

Normal?

Hans
05-26-2010, 01:16 PM
You got problems...

Nihilistic Heathen
05-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Check your temp's with cpuid, core temp uses a formula to calculate the core temp and because your processor is being downclocked it could be giving an incorrect reading. cpuid will give both the cpu temp and the cpu's core temp.

Also check your power management settings, you may have it set to battery saving mode wich can prevent the fan from running at 100%.

DeleteAccout
05-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Seems to me that I'm getting the same temperature readings from both programs. I changed the power plan to high performance from HP Recommended. Didn't appear to help much but we'll see.

Urm ... this is bad .. isn't it?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/TormentedSoulz/Game%20Stuff/OhMyGoodness.jpg

Upper Decker
05-26-2010, 06:05 PM
sensors aer mucked, no way 24w of power is pducing those temps.

Nihilistic Heathen
05-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah it looks bad, the only other suggestion I have is setting cpu cooling to active in advanced power options, which is what I meant earlier(I should have elaborated).

I would still get ahold of hp though those are pretty high temps. My cpu or gpu in my notebook doesn't get anywhere near those temps when playing games, never mind at idle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Nihilistic_Heathen/12345.jpg

Upper Decker
05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
ive got a gateway version of that laptop. my readings are the same except temps,would leave me to still think its a sensor problem.

DeleteAccout
05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Sensor problem is not possible in my opinion ... the laptop is VERY hot to the touch when the temps get that high. I don't think they're really 100 degrees, but they're no less than 80ish. Im worried the plastic is going to melt haha

DeleteAccout
05-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah it looks bad, the only other suggestion I have is setting cpu cooling to active in advanced power options, which is what I meant earlier(I should have elaborated).

That has been done already. That was my first method of troubleshooting.

axalon2003
05-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Have you checked to see if there's anything blocking your fan port? If there are no obstructions, and it is that hot, call support. They get hot, but that seems high to me.

DeleteAccout
05-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Zero obstructions. Room is not the coldest by any means, but it is the summer. There's only so much I can do.

I'll call up Futureshop tomorrow and HP tonight. Futureshop has been giving me nothing but grief with computers since September. If HP makes this work, I'll be happy. If not, ugh. I'll go nuts :)

DM46
05-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Wow, browsing the net im running 47-49 degrees on each core. I hope for your sake it is just a bad sensor.

DeleteAccout
05-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I did some tinkering and I KINDA helped it a bit. I moved it closer to my window and in the direct path of the fan blowing in my room. Temperatures are 88-90 degrees now under medium load. It's not much, but it's better than 96+.

Futureshop told me that I need to basically wait until it dies before they do anything. I mentioned replacing the thermal paste and the techie had no idea what it was at first. After that he claimed that it might be a viable solution and if I wanted to bring it in I am more than welcome to.

HP gave me beginer level instructions to clear out the vents and make sure they're not being blocked .... because people are apparently stupid as all hell and don't realize those sorts of things cause problems? *sigh*

Regardless ... if this thing lasts until I find work, I'm going to buy an external HDD to back up my music and movies and then I'll wipe it clean and HOPE that it's just some sort of bug causing resources to be used up making it always overheat. If not ... I hav eno idea what else to try other than letting HP or FS take ot for 3 months again

DeleteAccout
05-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Watching an HD Trainler/Machinima clip ..... would that be considered to be a "system load" ? Nothing else running other than MSN and what you see here.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/TormentedSoulz/Game%20Stuff/Untitled-2.jpg

Hans
05-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Your temp with no load should be 30 or less. If not, you have an issue.

DeleteAccout
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Oh my .. I don't think I've ever seen temperatures that low on this machine haha. I'll take it in once I find an external big enough to back up my data.

Thank you all for the input

mboy67
05-31-2010, 11:11 PM
you might just need the cooler blown out. Many laptops id a small amount of stuff gets clogged in them they overheat.

filthy
06-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Ya I would use compressed air and clean the CPU vent(s)...

DeleteAccout
06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Compressed air is illegal now as far as I know. I was told this by the Red Cross lady when I did my CRP course a couple weeks ago. Apparently kids were huffing the fumes haha.

Places still sell the stuff?

H.E. Pennypacker
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Compressed air is illegal now as far as I know. I was told this by the Red Cross lady when I did my CRP course a couple weeks ago. Apparently kids were huffing the fumes haha.

Places still sell the stuff?

yes, lots of places still sell it. some manufacturers put something to make it bitter to deter kids from playing around with it.

DeleteAccout
06-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Awesome. Alrighty well Im trying to find a lift up to Futureshop to pick up an external HDD. I'll see if I can't pick up a can of air while I'm there. Thanks :)