PDA

View Full Version : redoing a small garden

dancingqueen
05-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey, I have a small garden in my front yard, but through years of neglect is pretty much a lost cause. I plan on saving a few things, but pretty much need to re-soil it all. What do you do with the old soil? I imagine it has way too many weed seeds in it to be of any use to anyone. Was gonna spray with vinegar, but then nothing will ever grow in there, can I just use some lime after everything is dead to make the soil useful again, or would replacing the current soil be best?

Peety
05-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Why don't you till it a few times.add some dirt .. No matter what you will always have weeds.
Tiller is your best friend!

dancingqueen
05-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Where can I get a tiller?
I know I'm always gonna have weeds, but there is years and years of neglect worth of weeds in there.... I tried weeding it, and there was just no point, I swear they where growing more as I was pulling them

Peety
05-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Where can I get a tiller?

You can most likley rent one from the rental place. or a friend?

I just bought a mini Echo.. Omg I love it!

kitca
05-31-2010, 10:43 AM
you could do the newspaper trick and lay newspapers over the area you dont plant in. that will stop any weeds or seeds. if it isnt that big you can borrow or buy a garden claw and dig up the soil yourself. where you are planting plants add lots of manure and compost. then cover the newspapers with mulch like a bark or something.

iluvchristian
06-09-2010, 07:48 AM
mulch helps after you have replanted your garden. Keeps the weeds from coming up. Or there is that landscaping fabric (I think thats what it's called)

dancingqueen
06-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Hmmm, thanks for the ideas guys, gonna get a friend to spot me a tiller and give that a shot.

Giggle Squirt
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
i will come pull weeds for you!!!

dancingqueen
06-23-2010, 04:01 AM
omg lol, I missed this thread...
Giggle, I can't afford you :tongue:
Unless it's for your community service :wink:

NewCasa
06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Well at least you know how to run a tiller now :)

CANDY_74
06-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Well if ya want some more practice tilling, you come practice tilling on my flower bed beside my house? lol....Its too much for me to dig up and I don't know anyone with a tiller :(