PDA

View Full Version : PVR Question

DeleteAccout
06-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm curious if there's a way to record television shows without building a media center PC, or buying a PVR from Shaw. Is there an alternate method one can use with a certain player? or is that option tied to a cable provider?

DamianBlade
06-13-2010, 01:49 AM
i have a dvd/pvr for sale if interested.pm me.

Barry Morris
06-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Top ten digital video recorder. I note one has a tuner. That would be handy, watch one, record another.:

http://dvr.about.com/od/dvrs/tp/toppicks2.htm

Mimi
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I have an LG 80 Gig Hard drive DVD recorder. I watch almost every thing off the hard drive now. It does a great job and is easy to use. The DVD recorder works good too.
They have a 250 GB LG at Furtureshop right now for $299. I would recommend the bigger hard drive.

DeleteAccout
06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I'll tell you the same thing that I told DamianBlade. I don't have a cable box. I just have full cable ( for now. Once I decide move I'll get digital ). In order to use the PVR abilities, would I need to hook it up to a cable box? or could I simply plug my cable line into the recorder, and have another one from the recorder to the television?

Mimi
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I just have full cable. I put a splitter to my Recorder, but you can just put your cable into the Recorder and run another line into the TV. It works the same as a VCR hookup. You can watch other stuff from Cable while you record on the Hard Drive (or a dvd disk). You can also watch a DVD while you are recording a TV show.

Barry Morris
06-16-2010, 09:53 PM
I'll tell you the same thing that I told DamianBlade. I don't have a cable box. I just have full cable ( for now. Once I decide move I'll get digital ). In order to use the PVR abilities, would I need to hook it up to a cable box? or could I simply plug my cable line into the recorder, and have another one from the recorder to the television?

Does the recorder have a tuner?? That's what a cable box is.

Remember how a VCR used to hook up right to the cable??

Same thing.

Mimi
06-17-2010, 08:49 AM
The LG Hard Drive & DVD Video Recorder has a Tuner. It is just like a VCR only you record on the hard drive to watch later (then delete) or record on a DVD disk.