PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Raped .....

DeleteAccout
06-24-2010, 01:20 AM
..... by Hewlett-Packard. Yep. No lube either. You'd think a company with that much money would atleast be moderately generous.

My DV7-3128CA was having some issues with the heat and other things. I thought that it was a virus causing the computer to run hard constantly so I decided to do a factory reinstall. Turns out that my Recovery Partition was corrupt. I called HP and they mailed me a box to ship it out to them.

I mailed it out Monday, they got it that evening. Mailed it BACK to me on Tuesday. I recieved it Wednesday at 5pm. I was jacked it too such a short time. I turned it on and was about to write HP the nicest letter ever when I noticed something was wrong.

They didn't do anything .... They replaced the Motherboard and the heatsink for my heat issues, but didn't bother fixing my recovery partition issue. I called them and spoke with a man who couldn't speak, spell, or comprehend english very well ( seemed like he was really struggling to talk to me. He kept ignoring my questions and asked me what I meant by certain words ). He then told me that they couldn't help me unless I bought the recovery CD's for my laptop. I agreed to do so. Here's the rape part ... the squeemish should look away now.

Windows 7 Premium 64-bit Dual Language + Supp1 Recovery Kit
Shipping Method: Fed-Ex Priority (1-3 Days) - cost (CAD): $39.93, Taxes $ 5.19
Total = $45.12 CAD ..... For a DVD.

I really wish that they'd include these damn DVDs with systems like they did a few years ago. Although the recovery manager is idiot proof and easier .... there should ALWAYS be a backup.

*sigh* My butt hurts. And to think, the same service for Americans, is 25$ for the 1-2 days delivery, and 12$ for the 6 day one.

Strife
06-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Did you buy the DVD? I can see where you are coming from though. You can always "retrieve" an OEM copy of Windows 7 and just use your serial code to validate it. This way it will be a clean install and you will gain a few GB by wiping out the recovery partition. I am sure the retrieval of an OEM version of Windows 7 can be very quick if you know where to get it.

Hans
06-24-2010, 11:11 AM
You made a mistake : HP laptops come with a backup program to make recovery discs 1 time and 1 time only.
The manual should explain why and how you should do this.
This way you would have had recovery discs to restore your laptop back to it's original state should your recovery partition be affected by a problem/virus.

DeleteAccout
06-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I created the recovery discs, however they failed to load the recovery manager aswell. The rep I spoke with had told me that the only way to get my Quick Launch buttons and MCE remote to work again was the purchase the recovery DVD(s) and install that way. APPARENTLY they have certain files in the SWSETUP folder that you can't replicate even with an OEM copy of Windows 7 ( I tried that initially ). Since I do a lot of power point presentations, the remote was one of the selling points for me. I bought a Pavillion for the entertainment reason.

Regardless I'm not TOO concerned about it. I can always install the OS from the DVDs and get it back exactly the way it was intended to be, delete every partition and clear up the 40GB of space they had "hidden", and then use Acronis to back up an image to my external. I'm not going to lose sleep over this. My wallet just hates me right now. I'm pretty sure he ran away from home because of this.

Strife
06-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I created the recovery discs, however they failed to load the recovery manager aswell. The rep I spoke with had told me that the only way to get my Quick Launch buttons and MCE remote to work again was the purchase the recovery DVD(s) and install that way. APPARENTLY they have certain files in the SWSETUP folder that you can't replicate even with an OEM copy of Windows 7 ( I tried that initially ). Since I do a lot of power point presentations, the remote was one of the selling points for me. I bought a Pavillion for the entertainment reason.

Regardless I'm not TOO concerned about it. I can always install the OS from the DVDs and get it back exactly the way it was intended to be, delete every partition and clear up the 40GB of space they had "hidden", and then use Acronis to back up an image to my external. I'm not going to lose sleep over this. My wallet just hates me right now. I'm pretty sure he ran away from home because of this.

I am sure the software is available to download on the HP website. Techs say those things to make sales. Its what happens when you mix tech support with sales.

DeleteAccout
06-24-2010, 10:30 PM
There is a recovery manager on the HP website. I installed it and attempted to do the recovery and it still failed. I actually beleive them when they say it's impossible. It's irritating, but it seems to be true. I've tried pretty much everything I can :P

Regardless, once the credit card is verified, I'll have the DVD(s) in 1-3 business days. No worries.

Upper Decker
06-24-2010, 10:38 PM
There is a recovery manager on the HP website. I installed it and attempted to do the recovery and it still failed. I actually beleive them when they say it's impossible. It's irritating, but it seems to be true. I've tried pretty much everything I can :P

Regardless, once the credit card is verified, I'll have the DVD(s) in 1-3 business days. No worries.

Thanks for that, i needed a good laugh lol.

DeleteAccout
06-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Care to explain the humor in that ObjectX ?

DoubleXL
06-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I would pay for the discs, wait for them to ship, and then contest the charges with your credit card company. Works for me all the time...lol

DeleteAccout
06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
haha you would :P

Well I got the DVDs in the mail and installed them. I purged my HDD and deleted all of my partitions. Cool thing about the DVDs was that they restored my recovery partition and everything else. The issues are all fixed it seems. As far as Im concerned, I really don't care that I paid 45$ for them. I would have gladly paid 50$ for a technician to fix it.

Only downfall is that I reverted back to Win7 Home Premium from Ultimate. No big deal though.

lk_wicked
07-18-2010, 11:23 PM
if you got your pc with win7 ultimate, that is the disc they should have sent you. I would contact HP, ask to speak to a supervisor, explain to them that although your pc is running, they sent you the wrong version of Windows 7, and the supervisor can authorize you receiving the correct dvd, without having to fork out another $50.00. you get further with honey than you do with vinegar. In other words, be nice to the supervisor, compliment them for seeing you through your complications with your pc, and explain that you are disappointed that you did not receive the dvd, with the version of windows 7 ultimate, as is in your original configuration when you bought the pc. I have done that in the past, and have received the correct dvd, shortly afterwards. It is worth the time consuming phone calls you have to make in order to get it.

goodluck

D0bb3r
07-19-2010, 06:18 AM
The upside of the pervious post is you can resell the wrong disks to someone in need, and recoup some of the cost.
Most companies have a no return policy on software, so im thinking their error is your gain !!

Upper Decker
07-19-2010, 11:05 AM
if you got your pc with win7 ultimate, that is the disc they should have sent you. I would contact HP, ask to speak to a supervisor, explain to them that although your pc is running, they sent you the wrong version of Windows 7, and the supervisor can authorize you receiving the correct dvd, without having to fork out another $50.00. you get further with honey than you do with vinegar. In other words, be nice to the supervisor, compliment them for seeing you through your complications with your pc, and explain that you are disappointed that you did not receive the dvd, with the version of windows 7 ultimate, as is in your original configuration when you bought the pc. I have done that in the past, and have received the correct dvd, shortly afterwards. It is worth the time consuming phone calls you have to make in order to get it.

goodluck

Wrong.... When you get a new pc now you are instructed to make a backup dvd of your partition to reload your OS. If you indiscriminatly wipe out that section without a backup youre on your own. You really shouldnt give advice when you dont know aht your talking about.

Strife
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Wrong.... When you get a new pc now you are instructed to make a backup dvd of your partition to reload your OS. If you indiscriminatly wipe out that section without a backup youre on your own. You really shouldnt give advice when you dont know aht your talking about.

If the OP bought the machine with Windows 7 Ultimate and the OEM sends him a version other than that, he is getting ripped off. He paid for a system that included the price of Ultimate but now has to settle for less. Doesnt seem at all fair to me.

Upper Decker
07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Funny if you read through the manuals and stuff that come with your laptop it clearly states that you should make a backup on disk. In fact most laptops now a days tell you to make a backup upon first login to windows.

There is no mention of Win 7 ultimate here so i dont know what your talking about, and the problem is obviously between the keyboard and the chair, as my hp minis use the same recovery software that my kids managed to figure out no problem. Of course I wouldnt know what im talking about since I work for an oem company.

Strife
07-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Only downfall is that I reverted back to Win7 Home Premium from Ultimate. No big deal though.

Funny if you read through the manuals and stuff that come with your laptop it clearly states that you should make a backup on disk. In fact most laptops now a days tell you to make a backup upon first login to windows.

There is no mention of Win 7 ultimate here so i dont know what your talking about, and the problem is obviously between the keyboard and the chair, as my hp minis use the same recovery software that my kids managed to figure out no problem. Of course I wouldnt know what im talking about since I work for an oem company.

I guess reading and comprehension were not a requirement to work for the OEM you represent. Sure you can make back up copies in case reformatting is the only option but then again, you can easily download an OEM copy of Windows 7 and use your product key during install.

DeleteAccout
07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Allow me to clear up some misconceptions that are forming in this thread.

I bought my machine with a factory installed Windows 7 Home Premium installation. The recovery partition went corrupt and was no longer bootable. After contracting a virus, I decided to do a system recovery instead of cleaning the system manually. (Save me the hassle of the process. Not difficult, just tedious) When I realized that my recovery partition was corrupt, I realized that I was going to have to resort to using a retail copy of windows as my OEM copy is built into the computer and located on said recovery partition. Retail copies don't come with the SWInstall folder or whatever it's called. In there, it contains the special HP Branded programs that all the little gadgets to do what they do. My issue after installing the Retail copy was my quicklaunch buttons. They worked just fine, but there was no "on screen notification" when one of them was used. This feature is restricted to an HP Branded version of Windows. Yes ObjecX , it is IMPOSSIBLE to re-aquire this when using a retail copy of windows. It's embedded in their OS/Recovery Disks.

I searched torrent sites for a copy of an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium disk that I could use my key on, but there were none. I eventually caved and installed a retail copy of Win7 Ultimate and used a mod to deactivate the activation. This was fine for about 2 weeks and then the loss of my HP Functions became annoying. I bought the DVD, purged my HDD, and started from scratch. That's it, that's all.

Now, my computer is back up and running the way it was from the first day of purchase AND .... The fan is whisper quiet, even while gaming ( complete and total shock there to be honest ). The heat has been cut down to less that half of what it was. All in all, Im content with the computer, but far from happy. OEM computers come with the option to durn your recovery disks. For those of us who neglect to do so due to lack of burnable media, lack of time, or sheer ignorance, we are screwed. I remember back when I shopped with Dell, they always gave me a recovery partition AND factory reinstall DVDs. This is the way it should be. That's a failsafe method. If your recovery DVDs get scratched or die over time ( yes they do that after a while. DVDs and CDs don't live forever ) then you atleast have a backup option.

However, with the 1.5 day ship, delivery, repair, and delivery of my broken system ... I was beyond enthused about using HP's Total care again should I have any more issues. I have never seen a company repair and ship an item back to a customer that fast. Even with my Dell On Site reapair, it took 1-4 days for a tech to be available, and an additional 1-2 days for Dell to ship out the needed parts for repair sometimes. HP gets massive props for that.

Anyhoo, I hope this clears things up.

ps, You don't work for an OEM company. You work at a call center on behalf of an OEM Company. Your paychect don't state "DELL COMPUTERS", but Sutherland Global Industries". If I've told you once, I've told you a million times ... Don't exaggerate. :)

Strife
07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Duffy. I either didnt see that you installed a retail copy of Ultimate or it was failed to be mentioned.

DeleteAccout
07-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Sorry about the misconception Canadian13. It was in a previous topic.

Scabtacular
08-11-2010, 06:35 AM
QUOTE:
ps, You don't work for an OEM company. You work at a call center on behalf of an OEM Company. Your paychect don't state "DELL COMPUTERS", but Sutherland Global Industries". If I've told you once, I've told you a million times ... Don't exaggerate

HAHAH....I use to tell people I worked for GMC all the time, when in fact, I was at EDS! My paycheck wasn't even EDS! IT WAS ADECCO EMPLOYMENT SERVICES!! LOL!! At least I still have that cool blue aluminium coffee mug that came with the velvet bag! Oh the memories.....Mhahahah!!!