PDA

View Full Version : Hey 'Staples' techs ...

Scoff
06-24-2010, 01:00 PM
** VENT POST **

Quit pretending like you can fix a PC, in the last month & a half alone I've had 7 machines in total that came to me right after apparently taking the tower to you guys.

You charge upwards of $150 to each of these people and you DID NOT fix their issues (not even in the slightest). Even tremendously obvious things like over-heating CPU's were not even picked up on ... viruses still plaguing systems, it's unbelievable that they can actually hand these machines back to their customer and tell them it's fixed ..

That will be $150 please ...

Please people, do yourself a favour and don't even consider taking your machines to any place like this, the techs there are not qualified to stick a USB pen in a port.

Sorry for venting but I'm sick of seeing friends & family getting gouged by these people and my aunt had to drop her computer off to me last night. She said she didn't want to bother me but she did anyway (after spending $150), I told her ... don't worry, it's not bugging, all it requires is a bunch of "hitting next a few dozen times and walking away". (not quite, but pretty much)

Anyone else notice how tremendously incompetent these places are?

I repeat, to those who are not tech savvy ... DO NOT TAKE YOUR COMPUTER TO STAPLES TO GET REPAIRED

Mods, don't take this down ... we don't need other Saultites getting gouged, it's a shame these people are doing what they're doing. (or not doing for that matter)

Dillio
06-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Well you and I have had this discussion before and you know I'm in agreement. MK told me you had to fix three of her machines alone last week, her daughter was going mad without the Internet for that little while. Happening again last night makes it nice and fresh for you.

Breathe. ;)

DeleteAccout
06-30-2010, 04:17 PM
When it comes to viruses, OS problems or something software related you shouldn't send it in. Just get someone on here to help you out. Im sure it'll be a LOT less that the bloated prices of Staples, Futureshop and others.

cybolynx
07-04-2010, 05:17 PM
i had a friend who worked at staples in the tech department ... what they told him was .. do certain things and thats it ... dont FIX the computer ... even tho thats what they are in there for ... he got fired for fixing things they didnt want him to fix ...

strange eh ...

DoubleXL
07-05-2010, 09:45 AM
It is because they have a work order. If a customer comes in complaining of Virus or Spyware issues, then they address that one issue, and no more.

NewCasa
07-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Dixie, for once I agree with you. My friend has taken her computer in there 6 times now because it is continually dropping the wifi network. They say they cannot duplicate the problem so they cannot do anything for her. So she takes her laptop home and it drops the network every 30 seconds or so. Same thing at Steamy Bean, same thing at work, same thing everywhere else except Staples. When we tried to get this through the manager's head, he said we should take the thing to MicroAge - even though it was bought at Staple's. Six months she puts up with this BS and they say THEY are frustrated? Then they send us somewhere else? Damn straight we'll be going somewhere else!

If anyone can help my friend out it would sure be appreciated. This is not a 'try this' request - we need someone who isn't afraid to try to fix the thing hands on. Neither of us has the time, patience or knowledge at this point to sort out the issues.

cybolynx
07-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Dixie, for once I agree with you. My friend has taken her computer in there 6 times now because it is continually dropping the wifi network. They say they cannot duplicate the problem so they cannot do anything for her. So she takes her laptop home and it drops the network every 30 seconds or so. Same thing at Steamy Bean, same thing at work, same thing everywhere else except Staples. When we tried to get this through the manager's head, he said we should take the thing to MicroAge - even though it was bought at Staple's. Six months she puts up with this BS and they say THEY are frustrated? Then they send us somewhere else? Damn straight we'll be going somewhere else!

If anyone can help my friend out it would sure be appreciated. This is not a 'try this' request - we need someone who isn't afraid to try to fix the thing hands on. Neither of us has the time, patience or knowledge at this point to sort out the issues.

well the one thing i could suggest is buy a USB WIFI stick ... or a PCMCIA wifi card ... i suggest the USB first because its usualy easier to setup ...
the thing about laptops are .. they have a built in card wich makes for removing and installing a bit more tricky ... and usualy voids warrenty ...

Cher
07-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Ummm.... or you could just get a mac?? :p

NewCasa
07-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Yeah that's the plan actually. As soon as there's $1500 spare change to spend on one.

Looks like the problem may have been worked out. MicroAge put a new network card in it. Keeping fingers crossed.

verotik66
07-09-2010, 09:28 PM

why spend 2x as much for the same hardware? oh it looks pretty

answerman
07-10-2010, 05:06 PM
apple does not have the same hardware, apples do not blue screen, freeze or just give cryptic error messages, it just works, all hardware and software is built for apple, so it works well, pc's are a mix of everything, macs are also very pretty, but not the main reason to buy mac, and yes staples does not do a good job, when bringing in a computer ask if the tech is at least A+ certified, staples does not have one on site, they will send it away if you demand an A+ certified tech. All their warranty work is sent to the manufacturer or timmins(maybe sudbury, i can't remember)

Bluesky
07-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Lately, there have been a LOT of problems with Apple. Their reputation has suffered of late.

NewCasa
07-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Lately, there have been a LOT of problems with Apple. Their reputation has suffered of late.

Speaking of which, I bought myself an Iphone. Took it back the next day (Future Shop). The signal kept dropping and the battery ran itself down in about an hour. All in all I spent $115 and about 10 hours of my life which I will never see again dealing with this bologna and never did end up with an Iphone. Thank you Apple. Thank you Future Shop. Thank you Telus.

I hear the Iphone 4G's are even better. The antenna is wrapped around the outside edge of the body. If you put your finger over a certain section of the antenna you lose signal completely and any call in progress is dropped. Steve Jobs, in the roll-out was questioned on this and basically his recommendation was 'Don't touch the phone there'. Great workaround Steve.

Then there was my very first Ipod. I remember it lovingly even now. The hard drive died about a week after the 12 month warranty expired. After about 1/2 hour on their web site filling in their form I was told I was finished and they'd be pleased to send me a brand new Ipod in exchange for my new one and $389.50. The damn Ipods cost $399 at the time I believe. When I called Apple to question them on this I was basically told 'Tough luck buddy - you've got your choices'. Great support Steve. Quality products. Thanks so much Steve.

Apple, sure. Why not just buy a Mac - they work great right out of the box. Sorry - not my experience.

Bluesky
07-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Apple has been successful at marketing a mystique about Apple that has had users in denial about Apple problems.. but lately I have begun to hear horror stories.. the mystique is fading. I DO have an Iphone and would not trade it for a blackberry.. but I am sure I would if I had had your experience.

Hans
07-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Apple is extremely good at marketing their products. It's similar to Bose, Monster Cables, etc...
It's all about perceived quality.
Apple hardware is identical to PC hardware, and is outdated compared to today's higher end pc's. Slap an Apple logo on it and it becomes so much better. Install an Apple OS and it works so much better. You can read so much better with an Ipad, and you can make much better phone calls with an Iphone.

Konig-OV
07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I have had 4 ipods, imac's, and almost every version of Mac computer since 1993. No problems, ever. Not saying that they don't exist, I just haven't had any problems. My entire editing suite is and always has been mac's. I know a Apple product tester in Burbank and he says the iPhone 4G does not have any antenna issues. As for Staples, they used to have 2 quality techs, that more than qualified. They have since left though.

NewCasa
07-13-2010, 01:00 AM
I know a Apple product tester in Burbank and he says the iPhone 4G does not have any antenna issues.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200954/apples_arrogance_and_the_iphone_4_antenna_debacle. html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/consumer-reports-takes-a-pass-on-iphone-4/article1637123/

Is it possible he's fallen for the Apple 'mystique' too? Lots more articles discussing the problem.

As for Staples, when you buy a computer somewhere and they send you to a competitor to get it fixed after sweeping the issues under the carpet for 8 months or so you know pretty much where you should have dealt in the first place.

Hans
07-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I have had 4 ipods, imac's, and almost every version of Mac computer since 1993. No problems, ever. Not saying that they don't exist, I just haven't had any problems. My entire editing suite is and always has been mac's. I know a Apple product tester in Burbank and he says the iPhone 4G does not have any antenna issues. As for Staples, they used to have 2 quality techs, that more than qualified. They have since left though.

Just Google Apple recall and you can see the problems.

cybolynx
07-14-2010, 06:47 PM
APPLE is just another PC with proprietary parts like the old DELL and HP and GATEWAY ..... only thing it has different is the price and the stupid OS which by the way is nothing more than a custom UNIX/LINUX install with a pretty GUI ...

Barry Morris
07-15-2010, 09:17 PM
At least Staples was good enough to take back a machine that they couldn't repair in five tries.

Scoff
07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
i had a friend who worked at staples in the tech department ... what they told him was .. do certain things and thats it ... dont FIX the computer ... even tho thats what they are in there for ... he got fired for fixing things they didnt want him to fix ...

strange eh ...

It is because they have a work order. If a customer comes in complaining of Virus or Spyware issues, then they address that one issue, and no more.

Now that's an interesting bit of information ... it makes perfect sense.

I still believe if someone went in knowing they had virus issues then the machine should be free of any virus when they get it back, the ones I see are still being returned infected. I can imagine that there are some people there who know something else is wrong with these machines but unfortunately can't fix it as it may be "out of the scope" of the original work order.

Hans
07-18-2010, 01:13 PM
That does not make sense to me at all.
It's not because a customer says it has a virus on it, it has. That's where the tech comes in and inspects the machine, determines the problem(s) and makes the repair(s) as required, staying within the scope of the warranty/repair contract.
You don't make work orders specifying repairs without ensuring you know exactly what's wrong with it...

OU812
01-01-2012, 04:37 PM
wanna hear a real good one? after purchasing my 3rd computer from future shop last year..(one for each kid and one for gramma), i had mother board on my pc go south. went into future shop and purchased a relatively good tower for $900. buddy asks if i would like it set up for i think $100. remember this is my 4th purchase in 2 years. i had the afternoon to kill so i decided i would install my own operating system.
OPERATING SYSTEM IS ALREADY PRELOADED INTO THE COMPUTER....WHAT THE HELL DID I PAY SETUP FEES ON THE PREVIOUS COMPUTERS FOR??????
i took my tower home (not setup) plugged it in and immediatly started to use it...
once bitten twice shy?? how about 3 times bitten? man did that ever frost my nuts! and make me feel like a sucker!

Bill Nash
01-01-2012, 09:29 PM
....When we tried to get this through the manager's head, he said we should take the thing to MicroAge - even though it was bought at Staple's. ..... Then they send us somewhere else?

.....As for Staples, when you buy a computer somewhere and they send you to a competitor to get it fixed after sweeping the issues under the carpet for 8 months or so you know pretty much where you should have dealt in the first place.

Some of the computers sold at Staples (I know it with Toshiba for sure) have the regular warranty work done Microage, ... they tell you this when you buy it (or at least they informed me of this). If you purchase the extended or upgrade warranty you do not have to take it anywhere, just bring it into Staples and they will look after it (once again, I was told this on my purchase). So really, you should have know this prior to your problems and not have been surprised by it.

Barry Morris
01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
For a local church, bought a computer form the "S" store with a dual output video card. It would NOT work, in spite of five trips back, each time them saying it works fine.

Got the money back.

Scoff
01-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Oh OU812 ... how disappointing, I'd be pissed for sure if I knew I was taken hook, line & sinker like that.

Just remember, "Eggs" or myself are a phone call away ... any kind of question, any kind of problem, just fire it off. You usually do text too so that's even better. ;)

NewCasa
01-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Some of the computers sold at Staples (I know it with Toshiba for sure) have the regular warranty work done Microage, ... they tell you this when you buy it (or at least they informed me of this). If you purchase the extended or upgrade warranty you do not have to take it anywhere, just bring it into Staples and they will look after it (once again, I was told this on my purchase). So really, you should have know this prior to your problems and not have been surprised by it.

Sorry pal, nobody told us that.

Kaynine
01-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Apple has been successful at marketing a mystique about Apple that has had users in denial about Apple problems.. but lately I have begun to hear horror stories.. the mystique is fading. I DO have an Iphone and would not trade it for a blackberry.. but I am sure I would if I had had your experience.

People were making fun of me because I have an antivirus on my Mac. Till a few Mac friends obtain a virus... who laughing now. :)
PC - I'm using Avast! and Malewarebyte
Apple - Sophos.

Verotik
02-12-2012, 07:54 PM

well if she has an HP laptop, then i would recommend buying a different brand of laptop

NewCasa
02-12-2012, 08:16 PM
well if she has an HP laptop, then i would recommend buying a different brand of laptop

It was a Toshiba.

Juggs
05-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Is this not considered business bashing?

riggs
06-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Is this not considered business bashing?

I guess it depends on what business is under the microscope.

lynys
06-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Well, Juggs, since you've now bumped up a thread that had it's last post made in February, I would say you've contributed to the alleged bashing. :)

AmdWolfman
06-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Like going into a icecream parlour and ordering a sirloin overeasy.

Browster
06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
WIC been replaced?

Firewall installed?

Feel confident opening up the case and checking the antennae?

Staples probably didn't want to have to buy a WIC from microage and install it, so they just tell your friend that she's crazy :P

9 times outta 10 that's yer problem tho... WIC...

This isssue is a few years old, and seems like it was allready resolved... smoke some more lol

Igor
06-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys! I am trying to decide where to buy a computer or laptop from. Because of all the negative comments about the Staples techs, I have decided against Staples!