PDA

View Full Version : ?? My clemetis ?? sp aren't thriving.. :(

Cher
06-26-2010, 08:31 AM
I bought some clemetis last year, and this year to cover my fence to block the view of my shirtless fat neighbour, and sadly, they aren't doing well.. they have support and aren't doing well.. :( any tips??
Any recommended plants that grow FAST for covering fences??

Luv'inLife
06-26-2010, 08:45 AM
clematis generally do grow slow the first year, are they planted where they get sun but the roots stay cool, I planted ground cover at the base of my clematis. I also have wild cucumber vine that cover my fence[downfall is they get picky little mini[non edible] cucmbers], but there are lots of quick growing vines...just make sure they are good for sun..

Tutones
06-26-2010, 09:50 PM
There are different types of clematis. Some will sprout from old growth and generally are good spreaders. Others sprout only from the root and bloom only from new growth each year. How many plants did you plant? Clematis generally don't spread very far from the root source. I have three in my front garden that cover about a 6 foot high by six foot wide area of wall space. I bought mine from New North and they are the type that you cut back to the root each fall and they will grow up from there. If you leave the old growth, no flowers will grow from that part of the plant.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/clematis/

This link may help answer your questions.

kitca
06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
a really good fast vine is hops, or i like the golden hops. it sets its roots the first year, the year you plant, then after that it really spreads out!

Cher
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the tips people!!! I bought a couple of them last year and more this year.. it's mostly sunny throughout the day along my fence- I have 4 in total... my dad has a bunch of hops.. maybe I'll steal some from him.. I NEED coverage!! lol

Tutones
06-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah, four is not enough to cover an entire fence. My three are planted about 8 inches apart and just cover the space beneath my picture window. I have been growing them for about 5 years now. Also as someone else mentioned above, it is important to keep the roots shaded if you want them to grow well. I have some perennial flowers planted around mine to shade the roots. Perhaps a combination of some type of ivy mixed with the clematis will help cover? Plant the ivy every second one along the fence length and clematis in between. The clematis will mix with the ivy and add colour to your fence cover.

Peety
06-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I bought some clemetis last year, and this year to cover my fence to block the view of my shirtless fat neighbour, and sadly, they aren't doing well.. they have support and aren't doing well.. :( any tips??
Any recommended plants that grow FAST for covering fences??

Is he hairy? Now that would hurt the eyes.

Peety
06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah, four is not enough to cover an entire fence. My three are planted about 8 inches apart and just cover the space beneath my picture window. I have been growing them for about 5 years now. Also as someone else mentioned above, it is important to keep the roots shaded if you want them to grow well. I have some perennial flowers planted around mine to shade the roots. Perhaps a combination of some type of ivy mixed with the clematis will help cover? Plant the ivy every second one along the fence length and clematis in between. The clematis will mix with the ivy and add colour to your fence cover.

I had to replace a couple of my plants. I have another I find the purple seem to do the best.

kitca
06-28-2010, 09:09 AM
you dont want anything that is going to choke out your clematis. the purple one that someone mentioned is called 'jack manni' (sp?) and it does the best here in our area. i dont know how easy it will be to get hops from your dad. they grow up from the rootball each year, the dont root along the way like virginia creeper. i have tons of virginia creeper if you want any bits and pieces to root out.

Ocean
07-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I planted hostas at the bottom of my Clematis plants and they are thriving. I also planted Virginia creeper along my fence for privacy a couple of years ago and it is really providing lots of coverage now. If your planting creeper you should be aware it is very invasive and you need keep an eye on it, trim it back if needed.

Cher
08-14-2010, 03:28 PM
My grape vine is really taking off this year, and I have trimmed a couple pieces from it, and planted those this year... they provide great coverage and a little fruit!! :) I'll try planting some hostas next year to help my clematis plants too... my pumpkin patch is providing some good coverage for them this year, however.. :)