PDA

View Full Version : Steve Hamilton, author...fans out there?

Karen-Annie
07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I always talk about his books when we do a "Read any good books lately?" threads on here. Well, he will be in Soo, MI next week on July20th.!!!:teeth:

Here is a link to the complete northern MI tour guide:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=134293999932180

I will DEFINITELY be there!!

kitca
07-14-2010, 08:25 PM
yes, i certainly have heard of him, but have yet to read any of his books, though they are on my list. thanks for the link karenannie

b&aMom
07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm not familiar with him, either. Karen-Annie, I googled him, and found he writes detective fiction. Does it feel formatted (ie. Harlequin romance, Stephen King, etc.)? Is it a recurring characters?

Karen-Annie
07-15-2010, 02:32 PM
He has written a couple of "stand-alone" novels which are very good but what hooked most of his fans is his "Alex McKnight" series. His first "A cold Day in Paradise" was a double award winner. One aspect, besides his excellent writing, that attracts me is that the territory is familiar. The "Paradise" referred to in that first title is Paradise, MI. Brimley, Bay Mills, both Soo's, Northern Ontario all figure in the stories.

To be able to picture the story unfolding in familiar territory adds a whole dimension to reading his books.You can picture the characters because they are familiar too. It is apparent he loves the area.

The other thing I've learned about him is he treats his fans well. When I first sent him a note on his website, I was floored when I got a nice reply a while later that also apologized for taking so long(2 weeks) but he'd been tied up getting for Christmas-the reply was sent on the 26th. And when you wake up one day and go on the computer and see you've got a "friend request" for Facebook from him....well, let's just say I was floored.

Back to the Alex McKnight series.....while you can read them as stand-alone books, it is much better to read them in order. Knowing the history of the recurring characters makes what happens with them in the next book not just logical but understandable.

I am so excited to actually meet him!

tippikitty
07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Aww wish I could go but I'm having my 2nd surgery on my arm and hand on Tuesday. :(

Karen-Annie
07-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Hope everything goes well, Tippi!!! I go on the the 6th. of Aug. to have my 3rd. surgery on my hands-second one on my Lt. but just the baby finger this time.