PDA

View Full Version : I'm Looking for Satellite Internet provider

A*lil*Loopy
07-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Ok, I've come to the sad realization that Prince Township will most likely never get high speed so I find myself looking to hook up with Satellite. I don't know who provides and if anyone knows or has this service for themselves, please give your input.

I understand that there are some complaints about it but I find I'm out of options. Thanks all.

A*lil*Loopy
07-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Have found one local provider but it looks as though there may be a few hidden costs. I shall keep looking.

puppy
07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
did u try star choice satellite...call soo video on albert east and ask

A*lil*Loopy
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
No I didn't, thank you. I have StarChoice for my television but wasn't aware of it for anything else.

puppy
07-31-2007, 06:11 PM
starchoice has the netscape isp but don't know what else they could offer ya but worth a try

Verotik
08-07-2007, 11:26 AM
i used to sell for c-com satellite out of ottawa, under the DIRECWAY brand it is ok, i think the average residential cost is 80 bucks a month plus of course an installation fee, and a maintenance fee to industry canada every year of i think 80-100 dollars.

i have a 1.2 meter dish and a steel stand to put it on your lawn, as well as the satellite modems if you go the direcway, this setup cost about 2400 dollars 4 yrs ago i am sure the price must have come down, you can probably get by with the smaller dish, but i had a stint up in manitouwadge and wanted surety on my service so i had to use the larger dish.

some pricing on this page similar services

http://www.galaxybroadband.ca/Galaxy_Broadband_residential_solutions.html

if you got a business some other company has wangled some grant program out of the govt

Verotik
08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
i been wondering why someone hasnt done a wireless point to point system out this way, im on bell high speed so no complaints but with so many doctors out this way you gotta have a captive market.

A*lil*Loopy
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks verotik, I've seen that information as I spent the better part of a few days searching for options. It's frustrating how ridiculous the costs are.

I had spoke to someone before who was willing to hook me up through the dish that the township has but I don't want that route either as I'm not a big fan of them and I'm sure there would be issues.

There has been talk about getting internet options out to Prince but so far that's all it is. I'm sure I'm not the only one going nuts when we want web access.

Shawn
08-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I will drop a little hint... there may be high speed coming very soon, I have not forgot about prince/gros cap... I will hopefully know next week whether its a good or no go.

Once up and running I am hoping for something like
2Mbps down, 512Mbps up
39.99-49.99 monthly
about $150 install fee.

Verotik
08-15-2007, 03:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will drop a little hint... there may be high speed coming very soon, I have not forgot about prince/gros cap... I will hopefully know next week whether its a good or no go.

Once up and running I am hoping for something like
2Mbps down, 512Mbps up
39.99-49.99 monthly
about $150 install fee. </div></div>

well you have a market out there that would support it i would be suprised if you couldnt get 100 users ..

on that note if you need an investor or installer shoot me a pm

Sassybitch73
08-20-2007, 01:26 PM
I know that feeling Lil' Loopy. I live out in Goulais River, and no such luck at getting highspeed out here even though Bell Canada has said they would have it out here by July/August. Well its August, and now Bell says "we don't know if we will have highspeed out that way". Very frustrating when I know myself that I am sick of the dialup.

Shawn
08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Havillandgal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that feeling Lil' Loopy. I live out in Goulais River, and no such luck at getting highspeed out here even though Bell Canada has said they would have it out here by July/August. Well its August, and now Bell says "we don't know if we will have highspeed out that way". Very frustrating when I know myself that I am sick of the dialup. </div></div>

I get the expansion spreadsheets from bell, and I don't see anything listed on it for Sault and area... I have heard some people close to the airport have gotten things saying dsl is available but just checked some phone number and don't see any actually available, nor anything on the sheets showing they are doing any work out there in the coming months last time I checked about 2 months ago

Sassybitch73
08-21-2007, 01:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Havillandgal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that feeling Lil' Loopy. I live out in Goulais River, and no such luck at getting highspeed out here even though Bell Canada has said they would have it out here by July/August. Well its August, and now Bell says "we don't know if we will have highspeed out that way". Very frustrating when I know myself that I am sick of the dialup. </div></div>

I get the expansion spreadsheets from bell, and I don't see anything listed on it for Sault and area... I have heard some people close to the airport have gotten things saying dsl is available but just checked some phone number and don't see any actually available, nor anything on the sheets showing they are doing any work out there in the coming months last time I checked about 2 months ago </div></div>

This was being told by myself and my fiance back in April that they would have DSL out in Goulais River and Havilland area in July/August. They used to have it out this way at one time, but they took it out because there wasn't enough customers, and now they are getting people interested more so then ever. Me being one of them. I think as the saying goes "what they do and what they say are to different stories". As you stated, you don't see anything on the list...so whomever we were speaking to at the highspeed center regarding DSL obviously they were just talking, and that is all it was "was" talk!!

Shawn
08-21-2007, 02:12 AM
What I really love about bell is how they just keep changing things when they have something that works and try to do it better... I deal with them all the time, and I hate waiting on the phone where their message lies to you saying they listen to my needs and concerns... and continue to strive to serve you better... I love how I used to be able to open a master ticket with them to get them to look at something that is down, like dsl in an entire city... this summer I have found 2 outages that took over 8 hours to get bell to even acknowledge there was an outage on the DSL. That is pretty bad when I can tell they are having issues and they can't...

The best part is I called them up and asked the guy if he knew about the outage they were having, guy just says "we are not having any outages..." started giving him a long list of phone numbers, he started checking and when his equipment didn't respond to him, he was like, "I guess you are right, there is something wrong..." only 8 hours after my first phone call to them... and only 11 hours after the problem first started...

Just thought of this after reading the thing on sootoday about bell...

Sassybitch73
08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
we were also told by the guy at the highspeed center that if we could get a petition going on who and how many people want dsl in goulais, that they might look into it and get workers out this way to set up a highspeed station for dsl. But the guy also responded with " But i can't make any promises" So you know what?
what ever comes available out in our area will be the one that I go with.... Bell can go F*#K themselves /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Sassybitch73
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Or I will go with xplornet satellite internet

Daiv
08-22-2007, 09:08 AM
My mom is having the same problem on Desbarats Lake. She has lousy dial-up right now.

Bell said they may be coming out with something new in the fall sometime. I'll believe it when I see it!!!

J*B
08-22-2007, 09:59 AM
http://www.xplornet.com/packages.php?type=res

A neighbor got this last week. It is $400 for the Modem and dish, and installation $200 for a total of $600 (you cannot install your own, I asked:) and then choose a package between $55 and $250 per month, or you can rent the equipment.. http://www.xplornet.com/offers.php.

P.S. Soo Video tv sells these and Al Pilon does the installs.

J*B
08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Btw dialup sucks big time out this way, I can only connect at 26,400. D'load speed is about 2.5-3 kbps.. I'm sure decrepit old phone lines are to blame for that.

I have tried all the providers dialup service and Vianet seems to be about the best. I had a lot of random disconnects with Bell.

J*B
08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mom is having the same problem on Desbarats Lake. She has lousy dial-up right now.

Bell said they may be coming out with something new in the fall sometime. I'll believe it when I see it!!! </div></div>

Tell Mom not to hold her breath!!
I've never seen any company that blows as much hot air as Bell..
We may see something in 10 yrs... maybe..

Anna Noyance
08-22-2007, 11:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mom is having the same problem on Desbarats Lake. She has lousy dial-up right now.

Bell said they may be coming out with something new in the fall sometime. I'll believe it when I see it!!! </div></div>

Tell Mom not to hold her breath!!
I've never seen any company that blows as much hot air as Bell..
We may see something in 10 yrs... maybe.. </div></div>

Thank you for bursting my bubble! I was thinking it was too good to be true, but I can still hope . . .

I get so frustrated with the slowness of this dial-up. It is pretty bad when you dread turning on the computer. I find that if I want to know anything in the news, I need to have the internet. So, I guess, slow, is better than my other option, which is no internet.

Thank goodness for Soonet, SooNews, and Sootoday....otherwise I would know nothing that goes on in Algoma. We don't seem to have a good ALGOMA News source anywhere else.

I hope, all of us who need better than Dial-Up, get something sooner than later.

Andre
08-22-2007, 12:29 PM
One way that you can speed up your news sites and a few others(if you haven't done this already) is to download Firefox and then add the "Adblock Plus" extention.
It blocks all the ads and makes you pages load faster.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/Andrjohson/Pics4/screen_shot.jpg

It doesn't help with downloads but anything that will make your pages load faster has got to be a plus.

J*B
08-22-2007, 12:29 PM
They should not call it dialup, they should call it Turtle speed.

No doubt xplornet is an option, albeit an expensive one that many can not afford..

Reminds me of Bell 5 yrs ago, I bought a few cell phones for the family, they said there would be a tower out this way by the next fall, and said the same thing every year since. Well last year a tower appeared, but it was not Bell that put it there!
Another fine example of them blowing smoke out their donkey, it is so maddening..

If Bell comes out with high speed in the Goulais area in the next two yrs, I will eat my hat /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Talk about stone age!

Shawn
08-22-2007, 05:51 PM
JB, not sure if you know but we also offer a service called Speed Dial. What is does is compresses the images, text... This in turn makes things appear like they are downloading quicker because they are now smaller. You don't loose any quality in the images... but it can shrink them just enough to make it seem about 6 times faster. It even helps on email making that appear quicker as well.

J*B
08-22-2007, 06:40 PM
I tried that for a couple of days when it first came out, has it changed any?.. It did seem better for the surfing (which I don't do much of) but didn't seem to help my downloading though and that is why I'd like satellite or equiv., lets face it 2-3 kbps download speed is brutal.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Tks for the suggestion though!

P.S. I'm glad you mentioned that, it made me go and look at the packages available and just realized that I have likely been paying an extra $3.00 (plus taxes) per month for God knows how long for 4 extra email addresses that I have never nor would ever use. I sent an email to billing about that. That's about $40 a year, and I've had this dialup for many years now, so I've likely spent between $250-$300 extra dollars over that time period for nothing if this is the case. That sucks!

Sure enough no one notified me of any changes to the plan, and I've been tossing an extra $40 a year out the window for years now, and it's supposed to be up to me to catch the change so I was told! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I found unlimited dialup with web accelerator for $9.95 per month, that's more like it until the day comes when high speed hits Goulais (probably when pigs fly)!