PDA

View Full Version : which phone company

kitca
07-17-2010, 12:24 PM
hi, im shopping for a better land phone company. we end up paying about 40 - 45 a month for basic phone with hardly any long distance. there was a shaw plan that was only 20 a month for the first 3 months. BUT, we had so many many many problems with our shaw reciever box that we cancelled the digital phone with worries it would be as crappy as the tv service was.

also, any cheaper ways of getting phone, cable, highspeed? we have shaw for cable and internet, i switched to lite speed to try and save.

Konig-OV
07-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Try give them another shot. I overlook any problems I have had with them, only because I am saving $60 a month just in phone with them! You know how far $60 a month goes? Plus I talk to my family all over Canada and the States more often now!!! Bell I had billing problems every month, even though the service hardly failed. I think having the very few, slight problems I have had with Shaw is worth the hassle to save as much as I do.

PrairieDog43
07-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm using Vianet for high-speed internet (dsl) and phone for $68.35 including tax. Ya can't beat their prices, and it never fails.

http://vianet.ca/

jag
07-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Vianet is definitely the way to go, no question about it, and nobody can beat their pricing. If you get your internet through them (which is cheaper and has better support than Shaw), then their phone service - with all features included and 5 cent long distance - is only $12.50/mo. I think it's $17.50 if you get your Internet from a different company.

Konig-OV
07-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Vianet has their own internet now? I thought they resold dsl or cable.

kitca
07-17-2010, 05:15 PM
thanks, ill check them out.

italiandomino
07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Vianet has their own internet now? I thought they resold dsl or cable.

I am no expert .. but I believe they resell Shaw cable service. A friend of mine got Vianet service and it was a Shaw tech that came to her house

jag
07-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Correct, Vianet resells for Bell and Shaw, and it's Bell and Shaw who do the installs and on-site service. But Vianet provides the phone and email support, and they set their own pricing.

For 15Mbps service, Shaw is $54/mo while Vianet is $50/mo.
For 7.5Mbps service, Shaw is $44/mo while Vianet is $38/mo.

Shaw's "Lite" home phone service, which includes all the standard features (voicemail, call display, etc.) is $35/mo ($30 bundled).

Vianet's vTone service includes all the same standard features, and is only $17.50/mo, or $12.50 bundled.

Vianet's the way to go.

italiandomino
07-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I have phone service through shaw .. only went down a couple of times for a short period, i decided to go outside with my daughter and have fun :)

i would def recommend it

lynys
07-18-2010, 11:13 AM
We use Shaw and have never had a problem.

cutie22
07-19-2010, 04:23 PM
We use vianet and find it is awesome. Most the calls made are from my hubby in the US when he is on the road using the calling card number and we don't get charged all that much. Just recently we have been experiencing issues with the phone. Where people cannot call they just get dead air or the phone will ring on their end and not ours. Nothing major though.