PDA

View Full Version : What the WHAT????

everywoman
07-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Big brother gone mad??

http://sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=47542

Onlygodknowswhy
07-20-2010, 08:35 AM
this is a lil too crazy.. they have 12ppl covering north eastern ontario...and how many ppl dig gardens, or what have you every year??? By the time they got everybody in the sault done ppl might be able to start their gardens around October....someone searched a stupid bylaw site and seen this and seen dollar signs in their eyes....wish they would post this meeting so we can hear manzo cry out get lost after every sentence lol

b&aMom
07-20-2010, 09:58 AM
How absolutely ridiculous...and locates are only good for 30 days? What...is your gas line miraculously going to jump across your yard while you're not looking? For Gawd Sake. We had a locate done about 4 years ago for a fence. Just had the driveway done on the other side of the yard, and had to have a locate AGAIN, even though we knew there was nothing there. I will plant or move my tulips and plants wherever I damned well please, and I am NOT calling for a locate. The gas line is in the same spot it has always been.

Peety
07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
How deep is the gas line?

GoldDogs
07-20-2010, 10:43 AM
That is ridiculous! It shouldn't be up to us to make sure we're not breaking gas lines that THEY didn't put in properly! ARGH ARGH ARGH. The year I plan on doing all this stuff in my yard and this comes up!?!?!?!

Hans
07-20-2010, 11:25 AM
What they should have asked is how many times lines were broken AFTER a valid locate and why that happened.

Jack Butler
07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
There should be a schematic attached to every deed.
They should have to tell you what is in the ground and if there was a relocation and where it is located.
This should apply to the Bell as well!

Jack Butler
07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Asking you to do the locates says, "yeah it's buried and we don't remember where we buried it"!
I wonder if writing it down would of helped?

wiener
07-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Do I have to call everytime the dog starts digging? Will they get to my place in time to stop the dog? Will my dog be fined?

b&aMom
07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Asking you to do the locates says, "yeah it's buried and we don't remember where we buried it"!
I wonder if writing it down would of helped?

:plol: The city came and dug up part of our front yard and the street to put in a sewer line cleanout a few years ago. Their records were so good that they dug right through the water line. It couldn't have been THAT old, because this neighbourhood was originally done in lead pipes, and this water line was copper. On their property. Guess they should have had a locate, eh? ROFLMAO

Koss
07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
yes it's ridiculous and does not meet the common-sense test - however, you actually don't need to call before you dig you know. It's only after you dig and actually hit and break something do these rules come into play. If you call before you dig and get the green light, you are off the hook if you damage the underground infrastructure. However, if you create damage and never got a locale then you will be in trouble. Just use your common sense people and ignore the idiots.

oh and lines should be burined a bit deeper then a tent peg could hit.

wiener
07-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I just called and asked if they would come out and give a locate because my dog likes to dig holes in the backyard and they said no because it would be a waste of their time if no one is actually digging into the ground with a tool strong enough to break a line.

b&aMom
07-20-2010, 12:38 PM
you actually don't need to call before you dig you know.

Well, according to Mr. Michael Goldberg, Northeastern Ontario regional supervisor for fuels safety with the Ontario Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA), we need to call before we even dig with a garden HAND tool. It's in the article posted above, at least.

Maybe Mr. Goldberg needs to join up with Stewardship Ontario, and they can work together on their rules, regulations and PR for their call-before-you-scratch-the-dirt and Orange Drop Eco fees on vitamins.

icecapp
07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
this makes me laugh my ass off, I know where the cable line, power line is into my house, and how far down it is in the ground, as WE FRIGEN put it there, i know where the well water comes in the pipe, I know where the pipe is for my sump pump out to the road, I even know where ever line of the run is for the septic bed....

ILL be damned if i waste my time and energy to even pick up the phone to call them.... best part is, all our lines are down so far, you need more then a damn garden tool to reach them... we back filled our property almost 6 feet from the road to the house......

although it would be funny as hell to have them come out here to do a locate and they have there **** wrong.. Id slap them up side the head... :zip:

dancingqueen
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
With the pesticide ban, Weed pulling is gonna be fun....

Huggy85
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
I just called and asked if they would come out and give a locate because my dog likes to dig holes in the backyard and they said no because it would be a waste of their time if no one is actually digging into the ground with a tool strong enough to break a line.

I guess squirrels are exempt then too? This is rucking fidiculous!

07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Areas like the Eastend, I've seen lines buried 24" 30 years ago just below 10"-5". DQ, the lines in front of your house crept up big time. Across the street we have seen the Gas line 7".

dancingqueen
07-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Areas like the Eastend, I've seen lines buried 24" 30 years ago just below 10"-5". DQ, the lines in front of your house crept up big time. Across the street we have seen the Gas line 7".

I know, we had some hot construction boys here not to long ago, the line was barely under the grass roots. I was gonna ask them about that and see if any of them wanted a lap dance, but they where gone by the time I got home :(

b&aMom
07-21-2010, 11:51 AM

????? Kabby, how is it that they creep up, but not water lines or sewer lines? Is it because the gas lines have plastic coating and are flexible? Is it because they're not initially burying them below the frost line, like water and sewer lines? ???

DM46
07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
How does a fence creep up in the frost? Gas lines are very small and highly pressurized. A water line is much bigger. The frost pushes the small pipe up through the ground much faster than a big pipe. The water pipes do move, only in minute amounts.

A*lil*Loopy
07-21-2010, 06:10 PM
When my sister built their house over 10 years ago and put up a horse fence, they severed the bell telephone cable..................which apparently there was absolutely no record of it being there. Sometimes companies have taken the liberty of using property that they haven't been permitted to.
When I move I have to do a whole wack of fencing....................I'm hoping they bring rubber boots when I call. The SOBs can walk the entire property and locate for me.