PDA

View Full Version : Selling Your Gold??

everywoman
07-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Has anyone ever sold their old gold jewelry to those "cash for gold" places? If so, how did it work and what was your experience there? Any stories? I have so much old gold jewelry that I'll never wear again, and has no sentimental value...so I thought I might try that.

Bluesky
07-24-2010, 10:58 AM
I have never done that. But before you sell, inform yourself of the price of bullion gold.. and that way you'll know whether you are going to get ripped off.. don't expect bullion prices, of course.. because the gold dealer wants to make money off of your gold. But this will give you some idea (after you determine how pure the gold is in your jewellry)

HDV
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
My BIL owns "dollars for gold" on second line beside the market mall. I'll pm u his info.

Evil Monkey
07-24-2010, 12:40 PM
These places are all scams. They make it sound like they are paying you big bucks for your gold but in turn they are the ones making the money on it not you. You are better off trying to get it appraised at a place like Savoy's Jewelers then selling it yourself as that is the only way you will get the real value of it.

NewCasa
07-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Why not melt it down design your own pieces.Savoys made jewelry at one time. Probably still do. Also just melted down you may be able to sell for more

bluekrissyspikes
07-24-2010, 02:32 PM
i'd try to sell them individually first, you'll bet more money.

everywoman
07-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all of your input! I appreciate it. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.....lots to think about now!

Bufford
07-24-2010, 04:35 PM
If you have enough to make money selling it...Then you don't need the money!

everywoman
07-25-2010, 01:00 AM
If you have enough to make money selling it...Then you don't need the money!

No- I don't necessarily need the money....But I am trying to get rid of stuff, clean up the excess in my house etc. And the money is a bonus, if I can get some, right?

Evil Monkey
07-25-2010, 01:04 AM
If money isn't the issue and you don't want to get ripped off you can give them to one of your children and at that point it will become sentimental to them?

everywoman
07-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Nah. None of it is sentimental. Just like, an old bent gold necklace I've had since 1990.......stuff like that.

dancingqueen
07-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I need the money, you can give them to me :tongue: I'll even let you know how it turned out!

dragonlady
07-26-2010, 08:01 AM
I remember I took a very good sized solitaire ring on a gold band valued at 1700 to one of those places just out of curiosity and they offered me 50 dollars! I was blown away but they said they go by weight not taking into account the quality of the diamond or anything...50 dollars! Those places are a big rip off as far as I am concerned..that bugger would have turned around and sold it for well over a thousand and sure would have taken into account the quality of it then.

everywoman
07-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Wow- that was a rip off for sure. Hopefully you were able to sell it for much more than that!