PDA

View Full Version : Motivator

ssmarie
08-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I am reaching for help as I am getting married next summer and I need/want to lose at least 40 - 50 pounds. I am so over whelmed by this that I don't know where to begin. Seems I am on a vicious cylce - overweight - get depressed so I eat - gain weight - get depressed - eat again.

I need a personal trainer that doesn't cost a fortune or someone to motivate me. I joined the George Leach so use the treadmill and other equipment etc. but I don't know how to begin eating the right foods or even things I should eat. Any help would be appreciated

Luv to be on the GO
08-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Just follow Canada`s Food Guide
It is the best for your health
this is really what Weight Watchers is all about
Perhaps you could go to Google and get a copy
of Canada`s Food Guide ...Come to think of it ...I bet the Algoma
Public Health may have a copy you may want to check there !!

b&aMom
08-05-2010, 01:47 AM
You should be able to find all the nutritional info you need online, and recipes, too. I'd suggest dropping almost all processed foods, except for things like dairy, and do all of your eating/cooking from scratch. That alone usually helps in dropping totally unnecessary calories. Then I'd look at your portion sizes. It's funny how you can fill your plate with much more than you need, and of course eat it all because you put it there. LOL Maybe change to smaller plates? Try to not eat outside of your three daily meals, and if you must, eat something with a lot of benefit, like veggies or nuts. Will half a handful of peanuts cure that desire to eat? Half a bowl of popcorn with a teeny bit of butter and some salt? Try not to deprive yourself, as that makes you think you are hungrier. Finally, work out at least 45 minutes a day, three times a week, and if you have the time, walk everywhere you can.

Oh, and the very most important thing...eat a GOOD breakfast daily. Have something from each food group in it. This sets up your body not only with energy it needs to get going, but also apparently sets your body up to deal with protein, carbs, etc. for the day. Maybe something like a bit of yogurt with sliced fruit, an egg, and a piece of whole wheat toast? If you skip breakfast it seems to make you hungrier throughout the day, and you're telling your body to SAVE fat, because you're not getting ENOUGH food. Don't skip meals.

Good luck.

chase_me
08-25-2010, 12:44 AM
actually you should snack between your meals. Nothing bad but healthy stuff like fruits, veggies yogurt etc. I was doing nutrisystem and they had me eating three meals a day as well as two snacks in between. on between breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and supper.

If you let your body get hungry it will hold onto the fat rather then letting it melt away by thinking you are starving it so it has to go into survival mode.

No Drama Please
08-25-2010, 08:30 AM
The ABS Diet book is very good. It has a simple workout plan, and basic healthy eating guide with recipes. It is all about eating lean protien, whole grains and lots of vegetables and fruit. Nothing about fad diets, just sensible eating, portion control and exercise. You CAN drop the weight and feel great in your wedding gown.

NewCasa
08-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Tons of veg (about 2oz per day per 10 lbs that you weigh), one-third as much protien as veg, less than half as much starch as protien.

Cut out gluten, dairy and alcohol.

Zero fatty foods!

Take a decent quality Co Q-10 supplement.

Walk lots (set the treadmill about 3.5mph for at least 40 minutes a session), but also exercise your arms and torso (this is where I fail - not active enough).

Start learning food values - which foods have the best nutritional values, which have the worst, etc. Shop from the outer permiter of the grocery store and read the labels on any packages you buy - you'll be amazed at the junk you've been eating - stuff you won't even be able to pronounce!

Oh - and have a hot cup of green tea after each meal (coffee after one meal instead is fine too) - it'll help move the fat you've ingested.

MaO3
08-25-2010, 12:17 PM
For me to stay motivated I had to join a class. Going to the gym by myself and working out is just too easily put off. Signing up for classes and commiting to being there was what I needed to get going.
After a month or so I found that I looked forward to my class. I miss them cause we're on a break for the summer.. The girls that take the classes I took, are getting together at the same time and working out together - for the motivation factor.

As for diet, I really just worked at making BETTER choices. Whole wheat instead of white, little or no processed foods. Eating breakfast is a big one for me. I'm not really good at that, but I started with making myself a smoothie and bringing it to work. Once I got that down, then I progressed to eating actual food. Three meals a day plus two snacks during the day and as much water as I can stomach.
It works for me. I have muscle where I used to jiggle.

ssmarie
08-28-2010, 08:16 PM
what classes do you take and where do you go and when? I am going to sign up for a couple at GLC - thanks for all the info guys...I really need someone to keep me on track and get going - I keep putting the gym off and then I feel bad

MaO3
08-29-2010, 08:54 PM
I go to Achieve - its all women and has a lot of classes and equipment - as well as circuit training to get you started.

Its just about $40 a month.

Upper Decker
08-30-2010, 01:58 AM
I could chase you with a stick yelling " DI DI MAU!!".