PDA

View Full Version : at what age

icecapp
08-04-2010, 07:59 AM
is it to young to start guitar?

I have a 6 yr old soon to be 7, who is bigger then my 9 yr old very interested in music in general, this child loves music, can sing most songs with out thinking of it, even older stuff,

Now about a month ago he had this old acustic(sp) guitar and well it was damage so it went to the dump.. well not even a few hrs after it being placed in the trash can at the dump he was on a rampage looking for the guitar, so feeling quite crappy about trashing it, as he yes cried, me and his dad went out and let him chose a second hand one from the pawn shop, he chose electric, which I have no problem with it, he has this thing in his hands more then anything else and toys are left alone...

My question is, as he is very smart, and gets board at school, but yes sometimes if it does not interest him takes him longer to process certian things..

he does seem to have an amazingly strong connection with this guitar, and loves to just sit and strum away, do you have any, advice please. do you think it would be a waste of money to let it go farther, or should I be trying lessons.... hes loved guitar for a long time.. and this kid can sing better then he talks.:zip:

Tutones
08-04-2010, 08:46 AM
He's definitely not too young to learn. A 6 year old is old enough if you choose the right size guitar, some start even younger.

However, I wouldn't personally start a 6/7 year old on electric guitar. He would need a half size guitar to start playing on in order to be able to properly finger chords etc... Not sure they make half size electric guitars?

NewCasa
08-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I've played since I was 12 years old and taught several people to play along the way. Actually, I'd say an electric is a good choice for a starter for a child. The necks are usually more narrow and the strings are closer to the fret board so overall they're much easier to play (especially with small hands) than a classical or other acoustic. It depends on what kind of music he likes, of course. I would suggest getting him in to some lessons on a more or less informal basis at this age - nothing with a huge amount of fixed routine. Something where he would learn to finger pick a little - that's a very useful skill.

icecapp
08-04-2010, 10:08 AM
I found him a small electric guitar as it was actually what he chose, hes not a small 6 yr old, very well built ill say it that way, not fat, and well over 4 feet tall.... hes a big boy... alot of people have asked if hes 9 or 10... I do have to agree with new casa though...

I played guitar as a younger child, meeting his dad I found I left it in the corner, gave it to my brother who also plays, and have soon forgot how to play, I just dont have the paitents to sit with him... Id rather pay some one to do it, I took it at Korah with Ken Anstice and scored a very high in his class, Like I said, just no patients or really like for me to learn to play again... LOL

I just kinda wanted others opinions as, Like I said, somtimes it takes longer for things to process with him.. but yet he can hear a song and resight it word for word, talking or singing...

I guess my thought was might he just pick it up himself, as did my brother who is awsome, HE can actually strum some wild things which blows me away..... HE loves Kt tunsell, Things like mississippi queen, new stuff aswell, loves acdc, all that kinda stuff, Kinda scary for a 6 yr old... but hes loves music.

OU812
08-11-2010, 08:28 AM
i believe there are 2 sizes smaller than full size. i would not go too small. did that with my youngest and the intonation could not be set properly. the guitar always sounded out of tune. sounds like your boy can go full size or close to it. the closer you get to full size , the better the product. i started playing guitar at 6 years old. my oldest son started playing drums at 3 years old. if the drive is there, thay will play at any age. had many good times jamming with my son through the years. even played on stage with him a few times. prepare yourself for a fun ride!

Barry Morris
08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Don't push him to learn or practice. I've seen kids burnt out on music by their teen years, and I have to wonder if they even rebel against it, as teens will against ANYTHING parents think is good.

The vast majority of male guitarists start at puberty, when the music can give an out to all that teenage angst.

My son wanted a guitar at 8. I told him when his hands were big enough I would buy him the best I could. At 13 I got him a Squire Strat, which he didn't touch for a year. Now at 30, he's way better than me, and an awesome bassist, to boot.

italiandomino
08-28-2010, 08:04 AM
I was at Guitar Center in Chicago not to long ago, and they have tiny guitars that were pretty kewl, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Mini-Strat-Electric-Guitar-102084118-i1146336.gc , the flying V shape i saw was really kewl, I plan on getting one for my daughter, and will teach her to play as soon as she wants to. Ozzy has a 9 year old japanese kid playing with him on selected ozzfest shows, amazing lil kid. they played Crazy Train. I wished i learned earlier then 14, but i chose to play bass in the bands i played in when i was a teen. I am to old now to take guitar on a serious level, I just play to have fun. So start your kid whenever they want to learn, dont force them, they tend to not want to learn if they are forced to.

italiandomino
08-28-2010, 08:07 AM
He's definitely not too young to learn. A 6 year old is old enough if you choose the right size guitar, some start even younger.

However, I wouldn't personally start a 6/7 year old on electric guitar. He would need a half size guitar to start playing on in order to be able to properly finger chords etc... Not sure they make half size electric guitars?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Mini-Strat-Electric-Guitar-102084118-i1146336.gc

http://tachyonlabs.com/veewee.html