PDA

View Full Version : anti-virus

bluekrissyspikes
08-08-2010, 11:12 PM
what are you using? something free or how much was it? just spent half the day reformating my c drive...looking for other options for protection.

8th
08-08-2010, 11:18 PM
computer forum

bluekrissyspikes
08-08-2010, 11:22 PM
useless answer

8th
08-08-2010, 11:23 PM
useless question on this forum

Super Gram
08-09-2010, 07:15 AM
I have had AVG free for 5 years. It has stopped me from getting virus's

http://www.filehippo.com/

Jack Butler
08-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

italiandomino
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM
what are you using? something free or how much was it? just spent half the day reformating my c drive...looking for other options for protection.

use a condom

HDV
08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I use NOD32 and its awesome.

Sooboy33
08-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I have Shaw internet,and they give you one of the best Security Programs,also a good Support program,and chat on line,all for free. Just download it and there you go!

Upper Decker
08-09-2010, 12:21 PM
i laugh at those who require an antivirus.... dont get why you need them. Your best tool is paying attention to what your doing , a bit of smarts, and a bit of common sense. A router with a good hardware firewall helps too.

Dont have a single machine with an antivirus in my house. Dont have any problems at all either.

Also would like say, I have kids here sharing our laptops and still dont have problems.

BFLPE
08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
ditto

Strife
08-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree with Object X. Whenever someone asks me what anti-virus I use, I say Common Sense. I get a laugh every time when they ask me "Where can I get that?" LOL

bluekrissyspikes
08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
well i got a virus from clicking on a site about quilting so i guess common sense dictates that quilting is bad, right?
anyways thanks to the people who gave suggestions.

Blue Lotus Rising
08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Avast is a great free anti virus and firewall.

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

Upper Decker
08-09-2010, 01:03 PM
well i got a virus from clicking on a site about quilting so i guess common sense dictates that quilting is bad, right?
anyways thanks to the people who gave suggestions.

No common sense would say that if its a new site you dont just go clicking away at it until you are sure of the site. Given that you got a virus from it , i can almost bet there was some idication of a malicious as they all are.

bluekrissyspikes
08-09-2010, 08:57 PM
well i suppose i could spend all day researching every little thing to death before clicking on it... i'd rather just put on a good anti-virus though. makes life easier.

Strife
08-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I havent used any anti-virus software in years. Some people I know use free virus protection and paid subscriptions and end up with viruses all the time. Common sense dictates that downloading a file to your computer from a non-reputable site spells disaster.

bluekrissyspikes
08-09-2010, 10:35 PM
well thank you for pointing that out captain. sometimes **** happens i didn't download anything. it doesn't really matter does it? most people use anti virus programs. i'm glad you don't and haven't gotten any virus. good for you. like i said, all i did was visit some sites about quilting and one gave me a virus. these things happen. i'm sure you'll get one sooner or later too. if you want to discuss reasons not to use an antivirus please start your own thread

dancingqueen
08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Krissy, they are just showing off how leet they are at computers.... They just want you to say "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you know soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much about computers" so they can flex their nerd muscles. this city is full of 'em. Although I agree to a degree what they are saying, I think along with common sense a decent anti-virus is the best combo. I use AVG free as well and have had 1 problem ever.
Object, Canadian, you guys need to adjust your pocket protectors :tongue:

Strife
08-09-2010, 11:17 PM
well thank you for pointing that out captain. sometimes **** happens i didn't download anything. it doesn't really matter does it? most people use anti virus programs. i'm glad you don't and haven't gotten any virus. good for you. like i said, all i did was visit some sites about quilting and one gave me a virus. these things happen. i'm sure you'll get one sooner or later too. if you want to discuss reasons not to use an antivirus please start your own thread

I wasnt trying to come across negatively. Sorry if I did. If you want an honest suggestion, AVG free is the best free one out there. I have suggested it to many people and they seem happy with it. If you are with Bell/Shaw, I believe that they provide their own security suites free of charge.

Strife
08-09-2010, 11:17 PM

I dont have one. Since you stole my pretty pink pocket protector, life just hasnt been the same.

dancingqueen
08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
pink goes way better with my outfits :smile:

Strife
08-09-2010, 11:22 PM
pink goes way better with my outfits :smile:

Well the least you could have done was buy me a purple one! :P

dancingqueen
08-09-2010, 11:32 PM
I did! I think you lent it to object x

Strife
08-09-2010, 11:46 PM
I did! I think you lent it to object x

Did you send it via UPS or FedEx?

tired-n-cranky
08-09-2010, 11:53 PM
ROFL at the "experts" who think the only way you can get a virus is by downloading a file intentionally.

Because exploited web servers don't happen. And exploits in web browsers don't happen. And said exploits can't download and execute files without you even knowing.

ROFLMAO. OMG I am going to fall over.

@ Krissy, good idea to load up an AV. One I have heard excellent reviews of was Panda Cloud AV.

bluekrissyspikes
08-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Krissy, they are just showing off how leet they are at computers.... They just want you to say "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you know soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much about computers" so they can flex their nerd muscles. this city is full of 'em. Although I agree to a degree what they are saying, I think along with common sense a decent anti-virus is the best combo. I use AVG free as well and have had 1 problem ever.

yeah, if i wanted someone to tell me how smart they are i'd call my brother. considering i'm no computer geek i think i did good figuring out ow to reformat it and put everything back on it by myself

bluekrissyspikes
08-10-2010, 05:31 AM
I wasnt trying to come across negatively. Sorry if I did. If you want an honest suggestion, AVG free is the best free one out there. I have suggested it to many people and they seem happy with it. If you are with Bell/Shaw, I believe that they provide their own security suites free of charge.

sorry

bluekrissyspikes
08-10-2010, 05:32 AM
ROFL at the "experts" who think the only way you can get a virus is by downloading a file intentionally.

Because exploited web servers don't happen. And exploits in web browsers don't happen. And said exploits can't download and execute files without you even knowing.

@ Krissy, good idea to load up an AV. One I have heard excellent reviews of was Panda Cloud AV.

thank you

NewCasa
08-10-2010, 09:20 AM

Hey. Don't mean to be negative - I tried out Panda and found it to be pretty bad actually. I went with AVG and haven't had a problem. As for Canadian and Object, I think the correct approach is common sense AND a good virus checker.

Krissy - thanks for the laugh about the malicious quilting site :)

(No offense, but that's pretty good.)

A*lil*Loopy
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I have Kaspersky. Love it actually because I ended up with a nasty virus last year that replicated one of my programs and all of the many other anti-virus programs we tried couldn't find it.
I took a chance on Kaspersky based on someones suggestion and I'm glad I did. It does all the work for me and I don't have to worry about checking things. It worked when the others didn't. The price was the same of Nortons (which is crap) and it's easy to use. I bought it at Staples.

Hey, I've seen some pretty mean tapestry sites too! lol

08-10-2010, 07:55 PM
In my mind, not one antivirus is better than the other. There were will always be "I had this and a virus got through". AVG is small, simple, and doesn't use that much system resources. That would be my vote.

I don't run an antivirus, because I don't download that much. Canadian13 and ObjectX, i'd bet you $150 that if I installed my antivirus of choice I would find at least 2 virus' on your computer.