PDA

View Full Version : make ahead freezer meals

USUALCUTIEPIE
08-13-2010, 10:32 AM
i am looking for some meals i can make ahead and freeze for the "OH MY GOODNESS!!!WHAT IS FOR SUPPER?: kind of days.

Tutones
08-15-2010, 11:54 AM
If you like feta cheese and black olives - this is a delicious casserole that freezes really well. I cook it in a pyrex dish that comes with the freezer lid and just throw it in the freezer with the lid on.

Pasta and Feta Cheese Casserole

half pound of penne or shell shaped pasta (shells work best)
1/4 cup butter
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 green pepper diced
quarter cup of flour
two and a half cups milk
2 tablespoons tomato paste
half teaspoon of salt
quarter teaspoon pepper
half pd. feta cheese, drained and cubed
half cup parmesan cheese, divided
half cup sliced, drained black olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
half teaspoon dried Oregano (I leave this out, don't like Oregano)

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, salted. Rinse and drain well. Melt butter in a large saucepan, Add onion, garlic and green pepper. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in flour. Cook 3 minutes. Add Milk, tomato paste , salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Combine pasta with sauce. Add feta, quarter cup of the parmesan, olives, dill and oregano. Transfer mixture to a 9x13inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese. Back in a pre-heated oven 350F for 25-30 minutes.

I always add a little extra dill to mine. I find it tastes even better the second day or after reheating from the freezer than it does straight from the oven.

kitca
08-16-2010, 10:31 AM
mmmm, that sounds wonderful! i guess you would just make a really big batch and eat one batch and freeze the other.