PDA

View Full Version : School starting soon!!!!!

USUALCUTIEPIE
08-13-2010, 10:33 AM
any ideas for different lunch ideas.....kids get bored easy and i don't want the waste like last year...

tasma
08-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I'll start it because I have a problem with school lunch too. I found these on a website some are good but my son is somewhat picky on what he eats like cream cheese he won't eat that.

Carrot and Cucumber Salad

If your child doesn’t like pasta create some vegetable ‘noodles’ using carrots, cucumbers and a trusty hand peeler or grater. Mix the carrots and cucumber ‘noodles’ together and top with your child’s favorite salad dressing.

Crazy Eights

For this simple peanut-free school lunch idea all you need to do is supply eight of everything. Then pack a lunch note in your child’s lunch bag promising a game of Crazy Eights before bed. Here are some menu ideas to get you started – eight pieces each of cheese, pepperoni, crackers, celery sticks, baby carrots, pickles, fruit wedges.

Cucumber Links

Cut a cucumber into 2-inch long cylinders. With an apple corer or a paring knife remove the core. Slice it into -inch rings. Make a slit in every other ring and then link the rings together to form a chain of cucumbers.

Jam & Cheese Roll Ups

Spread plain or flavored cream cheese on a soft tortilla and top with your favorite jam. Roll up.

Pita Crisps

Cut regular sized pitas into wedges and oven bake until crispy. For variety, brush first with oil, a little garlic powder and parmesan cheese or sprinkle on a little water, cinnamon and brown sugar. Serve with a favorite dip, yogurt or apple sauce.

Tic Tac Toe Snacks

For a fun snack idea pack your child a small piece of cardboard with Tic Tac Toe grid on it and a snack bag of raisins and sandwich sized bag of Cheerios or round shaped cereal. Encourage your child to keep the game supplies in his knapsack for playing and eating during designated snack times.

Cheese & Bacon Popcorn

8 cups popcorn
1/3 cup margarine, melted
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. hickory smoked salt
1/2 cup American cheese, grated
1/3 cup bacon bits

Pour freshly popped corn in large bowl. Combine margarine with hickory-smoked salt. Pour over popcorn. Toss. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon bits and toss again. Once cool package in individual serving bags.

tasma
08-14-2010, 01:39 PM
dinner leftovers are always good. I buy a large wide mouth thermos for stuff that needs to be in a container and baggies for things like chicken.

bluekrissyspikes
08-15-2010, 12:06 AM
mine likes chicken nuggets and hotdogs in his lunch. i cook the hotdogs in the morning, cause i don't like him having them raw. you could also use dry healthier cereal in baggies. i am dreading lunches this year. my second little guy is starting full day jk and he will hardly eat anything.

Melanie Booker
08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
bluekrissyspikes - if you put the raw hotdogs in a thermos and fill it with boiling water in the morning before school they will be cooked and still hot at lunch time :)

Tutones
08-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Test drive some new foods before school goes back and find out what they like.

I've discovered that my kids LOVE tortilla wraps with lettuce, grated cheese and lunch meat mixed with a bit of salad dressing. I even snuck in the spinach tortilla's you can buy and they like those best of all. The tortillas don't get mushy like bread tends to in the lunch bag.

Also you can make mini pizza kits with pita bread wedges, grated cheese, pepperoni (or any lunch meat the kids like) and marinara sauce. My son loves making his own pizzas at lunch. Cheaper and healthier than the premade ones you get at the grocery store. Also chicken nuggets, hotdogs etc... Pasta in a thermos or kraft dinner in a thermos are good too. Cheese, meat cubes, crackers, carrot sticks etc... are always a big hit too. Pretty much every Friday at our kids' school is pizza day so we always get them a pizza lunch (it's our lunch packing vacation day).

kitca
08-16-2010, 10:30 AM
tortilla wraps! spreadable cream cheese in different flavours and maybe some lunchmeat too. you can cut them into one inch rounds and they are fun to eat for something different. if they like pickles or olives or anything you can put them inside too. (make great party appetizers also!) but different for kids lunches.

fruit cup with nutella to dip in. nutella has protien but tastes like chocolate. veggies and dip.

Tutones
08-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately, nutella is not welcome in schools, as it contains nuts - but a good idea for home. I use apple slices dipped in lemon juice (to keep them from turning brown) and yoghurt as the dip for school.

kitca
08-18-2010, 09:26 PM
oh no, in my dauts day it was just things containing peanuts, so we could use nutella. that nut allergy is getting really bad eh. you can always make the cream cheese dip, creme cheese still is a protein, its just the sugar you use to sweeten it.

tasma
09-23-2010, 08:52 AM
1.Everyone loves pasta salad. Throw together some leftover pasta, some veggies, ham or whatever else your kids like, and you're set. Pack some dressing to add at lunch time.
2.Grill an extra chicken breast while you're using the barbecue. Chill it, then cut the meat into strips. Pack some containers of dipping sauce (sweet and sour, honey mustard, barbecue) to go with it. Or, if you have some leftover turkey, cut it into cubes and pack it in a plastic container. Send along a container of cranberry sauce for dipping.
3.Pack some homemade bean salad in a plastic container. Add a muffin or a buttered roll to go with it.
4.Sprinkle shredded cheese on a tortilla, top with another tortilla, and cook on an ungreased griddle until the cheese is melted and it's lightly toasted on each side. Let cool, then cut into wedges like a pizza. Pack some salsa for dipping.
5.Spread a tortilla with cream cheese, sprinkle with chopped raw vegetables, and roll up. Cut into 1 in. (2 cm) slices and pack in a plastic container. Or do the same thing with peanut butter (if there are no peanut allergies at your child's school) and banana or jam.
6.Pack some delicious hummus in a plastic container. Cut a pita up into wedges for dipping along with some carrot sticks, celery sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper - whatever your child likes. Send along a few potato or tortilla chips - just to make it seem like party food.
7.Make some salami roll-ups. Spread thin slices of salami with mustard or cheese, lay a pickle spear on top, roll up and secure with toothpicks. Pack into a plastic container.
8.Cut up some cheese and meat (chicken, ham, kolbassa, whatever) into cubes and pack in a multi-sectioned plastic container. Use some fancy toothpicks to spear the cubes. Or send along a few crackers.
9.Cut a pita bread in half, and pack it in a plastic bag. Send along assorted things to stuff in the pocket like shredded lettuce, tuna salad, alfalfa sprouts, canned chickpeas, grated cheese, chopped hard-boiled egg, and a little container of salad dressing to drizzle on top.
10.Contrary to popular myth, cold pizza is not disgusting. Wrap a slice or two in plastic for lunch. Or make a bagel pizza. Cut a bagel in half, spread with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with shredded cheese and pepperoni. Bake until the cheese is melted, then let cool completely and wrap in plastic.
11.Make a banana bread sandwich. Spread homemade banana bread with peanut butter or cream cheese, cut into long fingers and pack in a plastic container.
12.Spread a tortilla with refried beans and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Fold in the sides, roll up, and wrap in plastic. Send along a container of shredded lettuce and some salsa to add at lunch. Or make a chicken taco instead. Spread some salsa on the tortilla, top with shredded, cooked chicken and shredded lettuce. Fold up and wrap.
13.Make some mini-quiches using frozen tart shells or your own homemade pastry, or pick some up at the deli counter. Pack a couple in the lunch box - they're good cold!
14.Make a mini-submarine sandwich out of a hot dog bun, some sliced meats and cheeses and shredded lettuce (hot peppers? olives?). If you really want to go all the way, pack a small container of salad dressing to pour over the fillings at lunchtime.
15.You've heard of ants on a log - what about ants in a log? Stuff lengths of celery along the crease with peanut butter or cream cheese. Insert the ants (raisins, by the way) into the stuffing, and then squish another peanut butter- or cheese- stuffed celery on top - trapping the ants inside. Wrap tightly in plastic.