PDA

View Full Version : How can I get around a password on Laptop?

MaO3
08-20-2010, 09:49 AM
My husband just got a work /office supplied Laptop, but the guy who left (somewhat unexpectly) didn't leave the password, nor is it likely he'll supply it.

Is there anyway around it. Its a start up password, and I'm so-far unable to get access to the system at all.

Any suggestions?

PS - it has XP professional on it.

Upper Decker
08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Its a bios level password? Or is it a windows level password? If its bios level password your pretty much screwed since they use RTC backup batteries which prevent such a thing. Only thing you can do with that is send it in to the manufacturer and have them do it for you. If its a windows level password thats easy to bypass.

MaO3
08-20-2010, 04:12 PM
it comes up right away. As soon as the system is booted up. Its the welcome screen - Windows XP Professional sign in page. It won't let me just go skip it or go around it.

So suggestions?

Upper Decker
08-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Throw in the xp disk you have, if you have one

Start it as you would a clean install, instead choose repair option. Let it copy temp files and wait for it to reboot, dont touch anything let it go into the second xp portion. Once it starts that , hit Shift + F10 (not sure if they fixed this hole in sp3) and you should have a command console.

In the console type : NUSRMGR.CPL and it should pull up the user account options. Pick the user account and remove the password. Restart the computer and take out the disk and voila , you have access to that account again.

mboy67
08-24-2010, 12:12 AM
for 5 bucks i can remove it

MaO3
08-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Seriously Mboy?
I'll talk to my husband about it and see -- the company told him yesterday to bring it to the head office next week, but if it could be fixed sooner rather then later?
Let me check with him and I'll let you know today.

mboy67
08-27-2010, 02:01 AM
yep I'm serious the only time I can't remove one is when it from virus infection. for that it's a lot more work to fix.

Upper Decker
08-27-2010, 12:17 PM
hwo would a viral infection prevent you from doing the above mentioned method?

Scoff
08-30-2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

The support guys at work use this to reset the passwords on the XP Pro machines. The download is free from what I know ... I got mine from work.

Make a boot CD with the image, boot the PC with this disk, then use the "File System Tools" option and blank/reset the password.

Takes 3 minutes once the boot disc is made.

MaO3
08-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys, it doesnt' matter. The laptop is going to the head office of the company tomorrow for them to do a clean up on it... I'm thinkin they want to see what the "former employee" might have been up to...:embarassed:

Hans
08-31-2010, 07:15 AM
I bet you can't remove it. Chances are the boot partition is encrypted and authentication is done against active directory. Unless you are connected to the corporate network you will not be able to unlock it. And since it's a laptop it will use a token on top of that.

Scoff
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
I bet you can't remove it. Chances are the boot partition is encrypted and authentication is done against active directory. Unless you are connected to the corporate network you will not be able to unlock it. And since it's a laptop it will use a token on top of that.

UltimateBootCd works for resetting passwords that are controlled by a domain controller (AD Accounts).

Hans
08-31-2010, 06:39 PM
How about resetting it when EFS is used?

Scoff
09-01-2010, 12:24 PM
How about resetting it when EFS is used?

As far as I know it does Hans ... it modifies the registry and clears the administrative password. Encryption will be retained. Ownership of the files are granted to the administrator.

Hans
09-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I was always under the impression it encrypts everything, making it impossible to reset a password or modify anything unless you have the matching certificate.