PDA

View Full Version : filafels

kitca
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM
has anyone here made them? we just had them for the first time in toronto last week and they were so delicious. i googled the recipe and it looks pretty easy.

my friend who lives in toronto said she was sure there was somewhere here in the soo we could buy them (fresh) apparently frozen are gross - must be fresh. anyway, im pretty sure we dont have anything but itallian (great itallian, and chinese) here in the soo.

Tutones
08-31-2010, 09:24 AM
I think the Pita Pit Falafels? Not sure if they're still open, though.

HDV
08-31-2010, 09:25 AM
what are they?

Bufford
08-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Make them often, and serve in different ways, for a main meal I make larger burger size patties, for a buffet style I make small balls and for TV snack time make them in finger shapes fry till crisp and serve with a yogurt mint dipping sauce.

bluekrissyspikes
08-31-2010, 05:14 PM
has anyone here made them? we just had them for the first time in toronto last week and they were so delicious. i googled the recipe and it looks pretty easy.

my friend who lives in toronto said she was sure there was somewhere here in the soo we could buy them (fresh) apparently frozen are gross - must be fresh. anyway, im pretty sure we dont have anything but itallian (great itallian, and chinese) here in the soo.

there's a place on elgin that makes them. forget the name at the moment. right beside fabricland. i'm not sure if they make them all the time or not but sometimes i see that written on the specials board they keep outside

kitca
08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
oh, i know the place you mention, but dont know the name either. i think they are a healthy place and besides the deepfrying they are vegetarian and healthy. ill have to find out about that. and, ive watched the how to videos on youtube.

it is pureed chickpeas a number of spices/seasonings a bit of flour. then what i had and what i saw was the small meatball size ones so you squeeze them together and deep fry them. oh my god - they were so good. we had a dip and ate them as an appetizer. they say on googling that they can be made bigger and put into a pita and eaten that way.

bluekrissyspikes
08-31-2010, 08:36 PM
yeah, that's the place. that's actually why i clicked on this thread, because i always see their filafel sign and was wondering what they were

kitca
09-02-2010, 09:40 PM
yeah! im off work tomorrow, i sure hope they have them tomorrow!

kitca
09-03-2010, 08:18 PM
well, i checked them out. very nice place. and although my filafel wrap was nice it wasnt the same as the appetizer filafels i dipped and ate in southern ontario. going to have to try and make my own...

Gwanita
10-06-2010, 11:56 AM
you can buy a falafel mix where you can just add water and fry them up..they are real yummy and you can make your own taziki sauce too which is simple...i buy a thing of plain yogurt, put a coffee filter in a strainer and add the yogurt to it and let it sit to drain all the water out...then add fresh chopped dill, lots of garlic and englich cucumber if you want..i leave the cuc out because it gets it runny and yucky so maybe just add the cucumber on the side...this is a yummy sauce too that i dunk mini meatballs in...LOL the falafel mix you can get at romes and rjs...not sure where else prob metro....

kitca
10-09-2010, 09:37 AM
thanks, ill check it out.