PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Peppers

yoda
09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I'd like to try and roast peppers this weekend, over an outdoor fire, but I'm not sure how to do it or how to store them...in oil or freeze?

HDV
09-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Ive roasted peppers and stored them in a jar with oil and a couple chili flakes. The chili flakes are optional, depends on how hot the peppers are or if u like heat. I used a big jar and filled with the roasted peppers then poured oil in to cover them.

paloma
09-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Just put them in freezer bags and when you want to use them take them out. They are much easier to peel once they've sat in the freezer. Then I fix them with olive oil, garlic, basil and oregano! Its less work by doing them this way and just as good.

yoda
09-02-2010, 07:10 PM
thanks for the idea's, Id like to try both...if the weather forcast holds, I may be roasting them in the oven :hissyfitm:

gouligann
09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I hollow them out and remove the seeds. Then I rub them with oil and sprinkle on my spices (garlic powder and Lowry's seasoning salt) Put them on your BBQ, turning often until they are black/charred on every side. Then remove them and seal them up into a brown paper lunch bag and leave them for half hour to cool. Then on a cutting board, the skins come off easily by scraping them with a sharp knife. I then just put them into oil either in a ziplock for my freezer or a tupperware container for my fridge if they are to be used up in one week.

I use them in a toasted rye bread sandwitch with dijon mustard, havarti cheese and Black Forest ham. Delish!

yoda
09-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the tips gouligann. I didn't even buy the peppers last weekend because the weather was so crappy! I ended up cleaning the yard from the downed tree's and branches. Maybe this weekend...I don't know if I can still find them at the outdoor markets?