PDA

View Full Version : re-attaching tie rod ends

Bluesky
09-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Not very experienced here obviously..

in connecting body with chassis again on my Iltis jeep, I need to reconnect the tie rod ends. But the spindles (or bolts that the nuts thread onto) turn with the nuts; and no place to hang on to them with pliers or videgrips..

Anapeg
09-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Usually an air or electric drive impact does the job.

Bluesky
09-06-2010, 02:26 PM
hmmm.. I can't blow that hard :)

Anapeg
09-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I meant you can rent an electric silly boy! They spin faster than the tie rod can and once they bite you can lean on 'em.

Bluesky
09-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I guess I will have to rent one then. Rats.

DM46
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Take a pry bar and wedge it in between the tie-rod and the spindle, put some pressure on the prybar which should give enough bite to crack it loose. (2 sets of hands works best for this)

Barry Morris
09-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Or use a jack to put some pressure on the tie rod.

Or, easiest, cut the nut with a chisel.

BTW, an electric impact really isn't all that strong. Especially compared to a 1/2 inch air gun at 150 PSI!!!

Bluesky
09-09-2010, 01:06 PM
You've misunderstood. I am trying to re-assemble the nut and spindle. Anapeg got it right.

SO I was told that if I whack the spindle down with a hammer, it is a friction fit kind of bold that should hold in place while I bolt the nut back on with an ordinary ratchet..

Barry Morris
09-10-2010, 08:36 AM
You've misunderstood. I am trying to re-assemble the nut and spindle. Anapeg got it right.

SO I was told that if I whack the spindle down with a hammer, it is a friction fit kind of bold that should hold in place while I bolt the nut back on with an ordinary ratchet..

True. But if you don't have that impact, when the nut faces up, you can use a jack to apply pressure to get enough friction so you can turn the nut up tight. Or a long bar, if the nut faces down. Whacking it with a hammer might be counter-productive.

BTDT.