PDA

View Full Version : New Dog ...Any Tips?

Ocean
08-01-2007, 02:42 PM
I am adopting a new dog this weekend and I am looking for any tips to help him adjust to his new home.He is 1 years old and I already have one that is 1 1/2 years old. I know it will be stressful for both of them but if there is any way to make it easier please let me know. Thanks

TPK
08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Hey Ocean...I suggest letting them meet somewhere other than "home" because that may cause some problems with your older dog. Also I would suggest maybe try crate training if you're not sure about how they will get on at home together. Let us know how it goes and make sure to post some pictures!

Ocean
08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks TPK. We are meeting the owners in Manistique,Michigan. We will find a park for them to play a bit before the drive home.The one we are adopting (Bogie) is crate trained already.They are both very playful and love other dogs so I am not anticipating them not getting along. I am a little worried about Bogie being homesick, being in a new place with new people. The owner is bring his crate and toys withhim so that should help.

GRUMPY
08-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Just step back and get out of the way is the best way I found, they'll sniff around a bit maybe even get into a scrap or two but they will figure out a pecking order all by themselves.

Ocean
08-01-2007, 11:29 PM
OK sounds good to me..haha!